Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What hotels are currently offering status matches?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What hotels are currently offering status matches?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Question What hotels are currently offering status matches?

Aside from SPG and Marriott as well as Hyatt and MLife, I don't see much evidence of current status matches that are available.

I thought it would be useful to prepare a master list as some people may be shopping around for a new hotel chain at the start of the year.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Best Western will match anyone, but it isn't really worth much.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Milesbuzz has a status match thread IIRC. (Granted, Milesbuzz has gone dormant in the past few years. Back when non-credit-card promotions were much more common, it was full of action.)

With easy credit-card paths to SPG/Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, and Hyatt Platinum, status-matching in the hotel world isn't all that interesting. There was a brief period when Hyatt was offering SPG Plats Diamond status. In fact, if you're SPG Plat right now, it might be worth an email to the Hyatt social media contact(s) - they might do it. But they *wouldn't* do Hilton Diamond to Hyatt Diamond, perhaps because they know it's a credit card status and perhaps because they know SPG Plats are the group who appreciated the similar kind of recognition that Hyatt Diamond offers. By contract, Marriott Plats and Hilton Diamonds don't get that recognition - they mainly get rewarded on the award redemption side of things.

IHG tosses around status matches like candy, except perhaps the IC program-with-a-program elite statuses. I was IHG Platinum one year and I don't even know how I got it. (It was utterly useless.)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
IHG tosses around status matches like candy, except perhaps the IC program-with-a-program elite statuses. I was IHG Platinum one year and I don't even know how I got it. (It was utterly useless.)[/QUOTE]

Looks like IHG Spire Elite is similar the MR Platinum Elite. Any Spire members have any feedback on the program...upgrade frequency, etc. thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jimdarcy
IHG tosses around status matches like candy, except perhaps the IC program-with-a-program elite statuses. I was IHG Platinum one year and I don't even know how I got it. (It was utterly useless.)
Chase IHG give you platinum status. $49/year for 1 free night any IHG properties, best annual fee redemption ever.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Any Spire members have any feedback on the program...upgrade frequency, etc. thanks.
Spire Elite, IHG's top tier, is very poor for in-hotel benefits. Upgrades may simply be to a better floor! I've had upgrades with IHG Platinum, which anyone can get for virtually free, and Spire Elite doesn't offer anything more in terms of in-hotel benefits.

You do get extra bonus points though.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
So what's the status matching path ? SPG Gold from AmEx Plat -> BW Diamond -> IHG Spire Elite -> Hilton Diamond -> Marriott Platinum -> SPG Platinum -> Hyatt Diamond ?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I got my IHG Spire Elite status matched to Club Carlson Gold recently and it just took one email.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended

I've matched IHG Plat to Hyatt Diamond
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
I've matched IHG Plat to Hyatt Diamond
what was the process please ?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jspira
what was the process please ?
It was couple years ago. I don't keep up how it works now.

https://thepointsguy.com/2014/10/com...tus-challenge/
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
So what's the status matching path ? SPG Gold from AmEx Plat -> BW Diamond -> IHG Spire Elite -> Hilton Diamond -> Marriott Platinum -> SPG Platinum -> Hyatt Diamond ?
Do we have any confirmation that HH considers IHG Spire equivalent to Diamond? I know Hilton is pretty loose, but even they might look at Spire as a not-quite-real status. I can see them (a) countering with free Gold, because they *really* give away Gold like candy or (b) wanting to see actual stay screenshots, showing something that might realistically turn into Hampton Inn stay activity.

Marriott traditionally does status challenges (as opposed to straight matches for HH members), but if the status reflects Plat *during* the challenge, your chain could still work.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Do we have any confirmation that HH considers IHG Spire equivalent to Diamond? I know Hilton is pretty loose, but even they might look at Spire as a not-quite-real status. I can see them (a) countering with free Gold, because they *really* give away Gold like candy or (b) wanting to see actual stay screenshots, showing something that might realistically turn into Hampton Inn stay activity.

Marriott traditionally does status challenges (as opposed to straight matches for HH members), but if the status reflects Plat *during* the challenge, your chain could still work.
Hilton matched me from Spire to Diamond with no "challenge" style stay requirement last year. That said, I had earned Spire on stays/points, and have since moved almost all of my nights to Honors (and will easily requalify Diamond for 2018 - so it seems like the status match for me worked the way they wanted it to.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:24 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Matches are always negotiable if you're truly a 50-100 night/year customer. If you're scamming your way into a match from a status you never really earned in the first place or from credit card spend, like myself, you're going to have to wait for a promo.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:19 am

I remember in the final year of Northwest Airlines' existence, I received an unsolicited NW Gold card in the mail. Came from our corporate travel agent, who said it was a promo where they gifted it to a ton of people.

I had just started a gig in Denver and was about to book a bunch of UA tickets, so I scanned the NW Gold card and sent it off to UA with a standard form on the same corp TA's website. Within a few days, United had mailed me a 1P card!! Ended up flying UA pretty consistently for a couple years solid as a result of that match. Actually made 1K the "real" way...

I think that's the only time I've parlayed a freebie status into a match. I also used to get unsolicited SPG Gold cards in the mail (15 years ago) but don't think I did anything with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.