The long slow decline of the American mid-range hotel chain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The long slow decline of the American mid-range hotel chain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ROCAT
I think it is in Chicago where I saw a limited service, extended stay and full service brands of one chain (Marriott?) all in the same complex.
There's a Marriott building just north of the river that houses a Residence Inn and a Courtyard (IIRC) under the same roof.

As for NYC, I will take the Hampton Inn or HGI in Hell's Kitchen for $275 over the terrible NY Hilton a little east of there for $500 any day.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it really a question of manager/owner, with franchises? some FTers coincidentally staying with good ones, others staying with bad ones?

as well as, markets where there is little competition, whether because few hotels, or all same owner(s)

and are guests in certain markets continually willing to pay more for less, dropping standards for others
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My family doesn't make enough money to waste it on tired and dirty hotel rooms, so I probably research before booking more than most here. And while I know that you get fake reviews of both praise and disdain, you can usually get a pretty good sense of a property if you critically read enough on it and weed out the over the top stuff
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
My family doesn't make enough money to waste it on tired and dirty hotel rooms, so I probably research before booking more than most here. And while I know that you get fake reviews of both praise and disdain, you can usually get a pretty good sense of a property if you critically read enough on it and weed out the over the top stuff
I agree -- my usual take is to toss out the top 20% and the bottom 20%, then look at what's left in the middle.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I stay at a lot of Hampton inns, and I find them to be decent. My favorite however is embassy suites and their awesome breakfast omelette

I just remind myself that all the Hampton inn and homewood suites points go towards those free nights at the Conrad!

I really don't care for homewood suites, always had problems with my room being messed up or the hotel undergoing major renovation and amenities being closed, such as no water during the daytime for 4 out of the 5 days I was there.

It's tolerable for business trips, but I wouldn't pay a dime of my own money to stay there. Sometimes I want to go off on the GM and tell them that it's not cool to be turning off the water for paying guests for 6 hours a day
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've done a bunch of Homewood stays and never had an issue with the water. (Or really anything else that I can recall.) That's not something brand-specific...could happen at any hotel in any chain.

If they need to turn it off for 6 hours, they try to do it midday when the fewest guests are in the hotel. That's not surprising...

Average Homewood is newer than the average Residence Inn. They also seem to have more King beds, whereas a bunch of RI's were installed with Queens. And you don't take the 50% points penalty like you do at RI.

Homewood is one of Hilton's good brands where they beat the competition pretty easily. Now if only there were as many of them as there are RI's...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do any brands require new build?

i was also just looking, courtyard is defined by marriott as "limited service"
marriott notes massive select service expansion/pipeline in press releases
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I think Microtel (which is somewhat in between a low end and a midrange, but is probably closer to a midrange) might require new build. I've never seen one that's been converted from another brand.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: PC
I think Marriott's Moxy brand are also all new-build, they have some sort of agreement with IKEA for the interiors and the buildings are made LEGO-style with prefabs.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Trivia for this discussion: Courtyard and Hilton Garden Inn share significant DNA in a single person: Adrian Kurre. Adrian was heavily involved in the initial growth of Courtyard; thought they weren't being consistent enough; hopped over to Hilton to "out-Courtyard" Courtyard by building HGI with its full breakfast. (These days Adrian heads up Homewood Suites, which no doubt explains the consistency in that brand.)

Both Courtyard and HGI have a huge inventory of 80s (CY) and 90s (CY and HGI) builds, so it's no wonder that people tend to think of them first in the "select service" category. I'd posit that Courtyard invented the select service hotel; HGI perfected it; HIE copied it.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Feb 13, 2017 at 6:45 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To go back to why I stated this thread: I stayed in a HGI in Bakersfield that had installed a separate motion sensor on every light switch in addition to the one on the HVAC. Nothing stayed turned on for long. That kind of "improvement" constitutes a decline to me.

I understand that my hotel expectations may be higher than those of many others. However, even though I prefer nice hotels, in the early days of Courtyard and Garden Inn, I found them all quite acceptable and didn't mind staying at them. Now all the gradual cutbacks have cumulatively changed that feeling.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
To go back to why I stated this thread: I stayed in a HGI in Bakersfield that had installed a separate motion sensor on every light switch in addition to the one on the HVAC. Nothing stayed turned on for long. That kind of "improvement" constitutes a decline to me.
That's not brand-specific. I've stayed in full service hotels that do the same thing.

And I've stayed in full-service hotels that will happily check you into a room where the HVAC has been OFF all day, leaving the room uninhabitable for 30-45 minutes while the A/C cranks on full blast to drop the temperature 10+ degrees.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Both Courtyard and HGI have a huge inventory of 80s and 90s builds
I had no idea that HGI went back that far. I definitely notice the 80's era Courtyards: 2 stories, built in and around suburban office parks mainly. Most of my own HGI experiences have been newer hotels...built in the 00's...

I generally think of HIE as mimicking Hampton more than HGI. Unless it's attached to a restaurant or shares a parking lot with one, there's usually no hot meals there.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Both Courtyard and HGI have a huge inventory of 80s and 90s builds, so it's no wonder that people tend to think of them first in the "select service" category. I'd posit that Courtyard invented the select service hotel; HGI perfected it; HIE copied it.
Nice bit of trivia, and I agree on your assessment of the brands overall, but your dates are somewhat misleading. Courtyard started in the 80s and engaged in a big build-out in the mid 80s. HGI was introduced in the early 90s. Its build-out came ~10 years after Courtyard's. That's a key part of how it improved on the competition. It came enough later that its designers could observe what was working well, and what wasn't, in Courtyard.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Nice bit of trivia, and I agree on your assessment of the brands overall, but your dates are somewhat misleading. Courtyard started in the 80s and engaged in a big build-out in the mid 80s. HGI was introduced in the early 90s. Its build-out came ~10 years after Courtyard's. That's a key part of how it improved on the competition. It came enough later that its designers could observe what was working well, and what wasn't, in Courtyard.
Courtyard started in 1983; Windy Hill, Marietta, GA. HGI started in 1990 IIRC, though there was planning for a few years before that. So yes, no real 80s HGI builds but plenty of 90s HGI builds. And the 80s and 90s are one big blur anyway.

(Previous post edited)
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:06 am

Was Courtyard an independent brand or was it a Marriott concept all along? I remember being part of something called "Marriott Marquis" but I don't think it included Courtyard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.