Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Fuel stop on a cross-country flight? How rare is this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel stop on a cross-country flight? How rare is this?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I once stopped at SJO as we couldn't quite make it to SFO!!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by milepig
I once stopped at SJO as we couldn't quite make it to SFO!!
Did you enjoy your time in Costa Rica?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Did you enjoy your time in Costa Rica?
SJC, sigh.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by sbm12
:
...And a fuel stop eastbound is almost unheard of, certainly for weather reasons.
While not strictly eastbound, a few years ago my DL LAX-MSP flight stopped for fuel, in ?LNK.

Announcement stated that going around a storm caused the shortfall.

IIRC, got 500 sky miles
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Dec 96: booked CVG-PDX-SEA (don't remember why ) ... GA announced that, due to full pax load and headwinds, we would be making a technical stop in SLC to refuel ... I called to verify availability on the SLC-SEA flight, then asked the GA if -- presuming we pulled into a gate and didn't refuel on the ramp -- there was any way the crew would let me off to make the connection ... captain said ok, GA went ahead and booked it, and I got home about when I would have had the flight operated normally
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:10 am

I seem to recall this happening to the Red Sox one year when they played at Oakland in the playoffs. Not sure why it was even worth mention at the time, or why it stuck in my head.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by CPRich
I recall two or three occasions - a middle-of-the-night stop in Kansas City on the SFO-PIT redeye.
Westbound redeyes are very, very rare. And a fuel stop eastbound is almost unheard of, certainly for weather reasons.
When did SFO-PIT become westbound?

Feel free not believe me, I suppose, for whatever reason.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20036077-post5.html More falsehoods, I guess.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by CPRich
When did SFO-PIT become westbound?

Feel free not believe me, I suppose, for whatever reason.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20036077-post5.html
It was unclear, because you wrote:
a middle-of-the-night stop in Kansas City on the SFO-PIT redeye.

fwiw, the plane had plenty of fuel to get to SFO. But it needs to have fuel to get to SFO, then to some number of diversion airports that don't have weather issues, plus xx minutes of circling, etc.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by kochleffel
It was unclear, because you wrote:
OP was going to SFO. The FAT note should have made it clear that I was responding to OP's question.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:58 am
Suspended

Because the fuel tanks are not large enough to hold sufficient fuel for that in the stronger winter headwinds.
Why do they purposely buy planes with too small fuel tanks?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I think they thought you were saying your (SFO-PIT) flight had enough to go to SFO, and didn't realize you'd switched to talking about the OPs flight, because I know I didn't realize you'd switched.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why do they purposely buy planes with too small fuel tanks?
You do, of course, realize that the fuel tanks are large enough for 99%+ of all ops for the aircraft. For the few times a year with irregular wind speeds, the costs just aren't justified. I had a nearly 6 hour airtime MIA/SLC a couple days ago, and one flight even exceeded 6 and 1/2 hours over the past week.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You do, of course, realize that the fuel tanks are large enough for 99%+ of all ops for the aircraft. For the few times a year with irregular wind speeds, the costs just aren't justified. I had a nearly 6 hour airtime MIA/SLC a couple days ago, and one flight even exceeded 6 and 1/2 hours over the past week.
Right, in the situation I noted above where we had to make a fuel stop in SMF, the winds were also much stronger than usual. So our flying time was much longer than usual.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
To me the biggest surprise is that it could make it as far as Fresno but not SFO, since than is basically 96-97% of the way to SFO.

I wonder what would happen in these scenarios if Fresno happened to be your final destination and you demanded to get off in Fresno. I presume they would now allow you but then they cannot keep you prisoner?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Enigma368
...I wonder what would happen in these scenarios if Fresno happened to be your final destination and you demanded to get off in Fresno.
"requested" might succeed, but I certainly wouldn't have high expectations of being allowed to do so (and of course absolutely none with "demanded")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.