Search

Can force majeure work for you?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Can force majeure work for you?

Hi there,

I tried searching but couldn't find anything similar.

I was wondering if anybody has ever had a circumstance where force majeure has applied to them and not the airline (who use it to cancel flights due to weather etc). My partner has become pregnant and we were due to fly to a destination where Zika is spreading, so will not be able to fly due to safety...my lawyer partner thinks this would be a case of force majeure (we were actively trying not to become pregnant by using contraception although I dont know how we'd be expected to prove this).

I've not heard of force majeure being argued from the customer point of view so was wondering if anyone has ever tried?

Thanks,

John
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Have I tried it - no.
Do I think it would work - no.

1. FM does not apply when the event is the natural consequence of an avoidable action. Pregnancy is avaoidable.

2. Pregnancy - the event - does not create impossibility - you can still fly. You don't want to fly - due to Zika - but that is a choice not an impossibility.

There are a few more holes - but you get the idea. I would call the airline and explain. Maybe your tickets can be used up to a year later - and the airline might agree to waive the penalty.

If you are dead set on this path, then see if a doctor will say that, in his medical opinion, it is unsafe for you to fly. That will be stronger than a standalone FM position.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It's written into the COC to benefit the airline not you. Sometimes they will make an exception with a Dr note bot other than that, travel insurance may have been helpful. That reminds me time to get annual travel insurance.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Force majeur would have to make it impossible to perform your contractual obligations. You do not have a contractual obligation to actually fly. Your contractual obligation is to pay for your ticket and abide by the T&Cs.

Furthermore, people who become too sick to fly, even if that's due to an epidemic, are obliged to abide by the T&Cs re refunds, rebooking fees, etc. That's one reason there's travel insurance. So it's hard to see why it would still apply here. That's not to say that the airline might not cut you some slack, just that they're not obligated to do so.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Force majeur would have to make it impossible to perform your contractual obligations. You do not have a contractual obligation to actually fly. Your contractual obligation is to pay for your ticket and abide by the T&Cs.
^^^^^

In the B2C (C as in passenger, i.e. both private and professional travelers) relations I don't see that many situations, where the customer could possibly invoke force majeure.

Situations that make it impossible to travel are usually not covered by force majeure, but by other mechanisms (depending on the applicable law of course).

Last edited by WorldLux; Jan 3, 2017 at 10:21 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:24 am

Call the airline with Dr.s note contra-indicating travel, and ask for a refund. Many airlines show leeway in these cases.

And congrats!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
Call the airline with Dr.s note contra-indicating travel, and ask for a refund. Many airlines show leeway in these cases.

And congrats!
+1 on this advice.

While there's certainly no guarantee, this is an unusual enough combination of circumstances that the airline personnel might be sympathetic and/or might see that they're not opening themselves up to some precedent that will apply in a widespread manner.

Certainly seek a refund, but don't be shocked if the airline presses instead for giving you a travel credit that you have to use in a year.

And +1 on the congratulations!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:34 pm

And when you call, don't for a second mention force majeure. If you start getting into law/contracts, they will shut down so fast.

For the record, you say you will be unable to fly safely - the airlines will say you can absolutely fly safely, it's not their responsibility that you feel that being outside the airport in unsafe.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ob7777777
Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody has ever had a circumstance where force majeure has applied to them and not the airline (who use it to cancel flights due to weather etc). My partner has become pregnant and we were due to fly to a destination where Zika is spreading, so will not be able to fly due to safety...my lawyer partner thinks this would be a case of force majeure (we were actively trying not to become pregnant by using contraception although I dont know how we'd be expected to prove this).

I've not heard of force majeure being argued from the customer point of view so was wondering if anyone has ever tried?

Thanks,

John
Where is the destination?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
This is not "force majeure".

This is "ring the airline and ask" and if they refuse fall back on the "ring your travel insurance".

Because you ALWAYS have travel insurance - right? (If not - you should. Though it might very well be that they won't cover this instance).
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is far from FM and your lawyer friend ought to know this.

But, maybe a few minutes work will reveal that the carrier + destination have a Zika waiver in place, that your travel insurance covers this situation or that there are many other much simpler alternatives.

Rather than speaking in the abstract, why not provide the exact details, e.g., routing, carrier and the like, and someone here will have had an experience. Otherwise, all you will get is anecdotes about what happened to someone somewhere sometime.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Moving this general travel topic to TravelBuzz.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ob7777777
Hi there,

Thanks,

John
When you contact the airline to beg for leniency, send the airline a copy of a doctor's letter and you might also include the CDC Travel Guidelines on Zike and Pregnancy.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Some airlines do not even grant a refund upon death of the passenger, so I highly doubt pregnancy (an entirely avoidable occurrence) would invoke any principles of common law that death does not. However, many airlines are providing courtesy waivers to pax who became pregnant after booking a ticket to a Zika-affected country, allowing you to change your holiday to another country for free.

Courtesy waiver is airline-speak for "we don't want to be on the front of the newspaper as the cause of someone's child being born permanently disabled".
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The events which invoke force majeure on the airlines' part (eg volcanic ash clouds over Iceland etc.) are quite different from those which could invoke it on the passenger's part. The passenger's part of the contract is to pay for the ticket, not to fly the itinerary. So force majeure could only really apply to the bit around paying and it's difficult to see how that could happen as, even if payment systems are down, the debt is still there for when they are up and running again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.