Wiki Posts
Search

Laser Christmas Lights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Laser Christmas Lights

Last night, I was on a flight from Toronto to Columbus Ohio and observed something I had never seen before. When passing over a city, with my peripheral vision, I'd detect very short duration red, green, and occasionally blue flashes. The flashes were so short in duration, that I couldn't really determine the exact origin, and the flashes were undetectable with direct vision. There would be 2-3 flashes per second coming from various parts of a given city. I think the origin of those flashes are the new style laser lights that are becoming popular. Has anyone else noticed this? I've been flying as a passenger on pretty much a weekly basis since 99 and had never seen anything like it. If you happen to be flying between now and Christmas on a night flight with clear skies, stare out the window and see if you can see the flashes also.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:09 am

That is kind of neat. Christmas lights would be beautiful to see from the night sky.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I've been noticing the same on my night flights this month. The blues pop very distinctly. When I noticed the reds and greens I realized it was LED lighting I was seeing from above.

When I first saw this, I thought it was police activity on the street but quickly realized it would require a city-wide riot to explain the large swath of lights I saw.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We are noticing quite a few laser light Christmas displays at homes here in the LFT area this year. In fact, I set up two laser projectors aimed at the house a couple of weeks ago. Both project green and red laser light and one flashes while the other does not flash.

The boxes these laser Christmas lights were shipped in state something like "Do not use near an airport and do not aim up into the sky as they may interfere with aircraft."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.