Thanksgiving 2016 air travel - lots of college students in first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving 2016 air travel - lots of college students in first class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Maybe those college students found good prices on F tickets. When my partner and I booked travel a few months ago for Thanksgiving weekend, we found one business saver ticket and no economy saver tickets. Thus we purchased one F seat on points and one Y seat for cash. Several other times I've seen the cash price for F be less than a 50% premium over Y cash. Factor in the ancillary fees airlines hit you with nowadays in Y if you're not an elite (checked bags, preferred seats) and F for 50% more can really be worth it.
Indeed....we're flying over the Christmas holiday...whole family in F. Cost was exactly the same as it would have been in Y. It's a cruise destination...the Y award inventory was probably gone 11 months in advance.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Who gets excited about flying to DTW
Me, returning home from vacation!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In college, I'd occasionally fly in F using points because there was no Y availability. Especially if I was going back to/from the homeland (Canada). If it wasn't that, I was usually on Southwest (back before it became the complete cattle car it is now) RIP.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
My kids generally don't go F (unless they are traveling with me), but one of mine found an F ticket home for Thanksgiving on VX that was cheaper than the cheapest Y fare, so I told her to take it. My guess was that the revenue management software was taking into account that Y was filling up but F was empty.

Of course, this was the same kid who once got an OP-UP to business on a TATL flight with no status. Never happen to me in a million years.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
When my sister flew back and forth from college to home, more often than not, she was in First Class because my dad had a pile of RPUs (right around the merger, there was a year 1K could get 12 RPUs), and also when she moved back home and then to her PhD school, also first class because the fare premium more than covered the fact that she would be carrying two bags that were each overweight.

If First Class fares weren't as insane as they were when I was in college, I probably would've flown F too. I've never understood why airlines would price F so high that no one buys it and then have to give them all away as free upgrades. Of course, back then, in coach, bags were free too.

Even nowadays when I travel for business, I'm probably dressed like a college student. My meetings are always M-F, so I'm always traveling on the weekends and I'm not getting dressed up just to go on a plane. Always t shirt and sweats for me, even in F/J because I want to be comfortable when I fly.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
I bought an F ticket for my annual Christmas trip to Florida last year because it was in my budget and cheaper than Y! So the same thing might have happened on your flights, never know.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Daddy's money/miles/upgrades?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
If it wasn't that, I was usually on Southwest (back before it became the complete cattle car it is now) RIP.
It was actually more of a cattle car long ago.

Go to the airport, get a plastic boarding card, stand in a herd with others with the same color card... And stand in that herd for 30-45 minutes prior to boarding if you want to be at the front of your given corral. Mooooooooooo....

Today's system is elegant and efficient compared to that. @:-)
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
I always notice F cabins look different around Thanksgiving--no more dress shirts,
I almost never see "dress shirts" in First Class. T-shirts, polos, etc.
Originally Posted by davie355
mostly--but this year in particular, I noticed a high number of college students who actually paid for domestic first class (I'm guessing, since their seat numbers weren't on the upgrade lists).

Is my observation representative? Or did I just happen to choose flights with disproportionately many F-paying college students?

I realize airlines have been discounting F and promoting buy-ups to F, but if you were to ask me who takes the bait, college students would be my last guess. The price points at which FlyerTalkers would consider a steal--e.g., $99 to buy up on IAD-LAX--are still expensive to most undergrads.
UA was advertising $119 for DIA/SFO upgrades to first at the gate yesterday. Only 1 seat available and someone bought it.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
What makes you think they were college students?

Techies make a lot of money, and don't dress all too differently from college students. Young employees in some other vocations likewise.

Can't say the composition of passengers atypical on my recent flights though.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Scientists aren't too different from techies/college kids - I flew F over thanksgiving in my rundown flannel and jeans. The suits would probably thought I was just another lazy college kid flying on my parents money. I second the young professionals, techies, etc thought
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Who gets excited about flying to DTW
I actually really like DTW- pretty much an entire rebuild for the 21st century, and the McNamara Terminal is lovely, spacious, and airy with much improved food options in recent years. If you're connecting on to Escanaba, Alpena, or another EAS town in the region, DTW probably is the highlight of the travel process.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Could be a combo of miles bookings, rich family, what is available and needing baggage allowances. I've seen many Domestic F fares that were around the price of a domestic ticket with 2 bags.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Had to laugh at this post as this past week I flew JFK to BCN in J. Upon entering TSA Pre lane, a Flagship Lounge check-in was just coming out, he was a Concierge Key and had a very nice suit on and looked ultra-professional. Then here is me, a mid 20's looking guy in a hoodie and jogger sweat pants. When the TSA worker looked at my bp and saw Business for an international flight, I could tell he was shocked. I travel a lot for work, and judging by how it picked up lately, next year I'm sure to make Plat and maybe even ProPlat. I'd say with the current state of the tech age and social media and all that, their are going to be more and more people in premium cabins who may not look the normal part.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
... going to be more and more people in premium cabins who may not look the normal part.
"normal" is one thing, "stereotype" is quite another

I've certainly observed that comfortable attire, which has long permeated the aft cabin, is becoming more of the norm in F/J; formerly prevalent traditional (e.g., business or high style or "look-at-me" ego overflow) looks are fewer and farther between, regardless of the age of the travelers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.