Search

Hotel requesting copy of ID and Credit card for booking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:20 am
Formerly known as hcampana
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Hotel requesting copy of ID and Credit card for booking

I've been communicating with a luxury hotel via email about booking a 4 night stay. They sent me an invoice to fill out and sign (credit card # etc.) but they have also asked me for a copy of my credit card (both sides) and a copy of my ID. Also on the invoice it asks for my Passport number.

This seems odd and risky to me. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I don't understand why they need it when you can book online without providing this information. The only reason I'm booking through email is because they are giving me a package deal with a pretty good price that I was unable to find availability for on their online booking engine.

I'm thinking of just telling them that I will not provide the extra information in order to protect myself from credit card/identity fraud, and see if they still let me book. Thoughts?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I never had that issue.

With very small properties, booking via the phone usually was limited to check-in/-out dates and a name. With large properties, I stick to internet reservations/reservation via a travel agent.

I did however encounter one or two restaurants that wanted the credit card information (including CVV code). I refused and I preferred going there without booking a table.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: BA GfL
I've had plenty of hotels in developing countries request the photocopy of both sides of the credit card as well as passport details (although not a photocopy of the passport). Russia comes to mind, as does South Africa. It is just a thing you do in some places.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had some R&C hotels in Italy do this on reservations booked through AmEx PTS. Apparently without the documents, they legally could not charge my credit card for a no show.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where is the property in question? In some places, there may be no alternative if you insist on guaranteeing/paying with a CC.

Chances are that the property will gladly accept a wire transfer, but that may be costly and it gives you absolutely no anti-fraud or other protection.

If this concerns you, you may certainly call and discuss. I would not refuse, unless you are prepared to take your custom elsewhere. In many places, this is entirely normal and if that is the case here, not providing the backup, is the equivalent of not paying.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I had some R&C hotels in Italy do this on reservations booked through AmEx PTS. Apparently without the documents, they legally could not charge my credit card for a no show.
Had the same in South Africa quite a lot. Was prepared to cancel my cards and fight a lot of disputes... in the end in all the years traveling to ZA I had not a single issue with fraud.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I assume the hotel in question is not in US/EU/NZ/AU/JP, correct?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:44 am
Formerly known as hcampana
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thanks for your responses,
The hotel is in Bali.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question passport id & credit cards are the norm

Originally Posted by myeurocrush
I've been communicating with a luxury hotel via email about booking a 4 night stay. They sent me an invoice to fill out and sign (credit card # etc.) but they have also asked me for a copy of my credit card (both sides) and a copy of my ID. Also on the invoice it asks for my Passport number.

This seems odd and risky to me. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I don't understand why they need it when you can book online without providing this information. The only reason I'm booking through email is because they are giving me a package deal with a pretty good price that I was unable to find availability for on their online booking engine.

I'm thinking of just telling them that I will not provide the extra information in order to protect myself from credit card/identity fraud, and see if they still let me book. Thoughts?
You live in Europe and you have never been asked for a passport # to check in @ a hotel. Seriously??

As a CA passport holder, I frequently am asked for my passport as id. Most recently, the Sheratons in Warsaw & Bucharest, Meridien Sentosa in SIN.

The credit card is also obvious. What are the deposit/guarantee/cancellation rules? For Bali, there can't many lux hotels which allow you to cancel last minute? IF you want flexibility, I suggest you book on points - or - use a cc with trip cancellation insurance?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
You live in Europe and you have never been asked for a passport # to check in @ a hotel. Seriously??
The OP was asked for the passport number on booking which is unusual, certainly in Europe.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
The hotel is in Bali.
Quite common. My suggestion - book thru OTA.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The hotel is in Bali.
When I read the OP I was about to tell you to get over it. Then you said "Bali". Indonesia is one of the worst countries in the world for credit card fraud. No way am I giving them my CC information including the code.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
When I read the OP I was about to tell you to get over it. Then you said "Bali". Indonesia is one of the worst countries in the world for credit card fraud. No way am I giving them my CC information including the code.
International luxury hotel, I won't worry about it. Making copy of ID/Passport and CC upon check in is common on my international travel. They still do it even if I book and paid it online.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:03 pm

This is very normal with hotels overseas. In almost all countries I have had my passport photocopied at check in.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
While I agree and wouldn't be sending my card willingly to a 2 star dodgy hotel, I think looking at the risk profile is worthwhile here. If it is truly a luxury hotel, there is a massive risk for poor credit card handling and so I think you'd be just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.