Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How often do you actually check out of your hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:40 pm
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Something that I thought about today. For as long as I can remember, I rarely ever actually check out of my hotel room. By that I mean I never actually stop at the front desk and formally check out. I usually leave my room key in the room and just leave. So what is the point of actually formally checking out? I can understand if theres a problem with the charges to your room on the bill, and wanting to settle that, but checking out just to check out seems like a waste of time.
Almost every hotel I stay at I either receive my bill under my door by the time I'm awake, or have an email with the bill. They already have my credit card to charge so it just seems like Im wasting time stopping by the front desk. Especially since most of my flights are early in the morning and Im already running late, I just don't stop to check out.

So my question is, how many of you do formally check out, and why do you do so?

EDIT: This question is more about hotels here in US, internationally is a bit different and I do tend to formally check out for the most part when Im in other countries.

Last edited by S.R; Nov 7, 2016 at 6:01 pm
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Scrub
Internationally, every single time. Never know what you might need to do in other countries.

In general, I need to make arrangements with the front desk (to store luggage, hire a car, etc) that I need to talk to them anyways.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:00 pm
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pairofkeets
Internationally, every single time. Never know what you might need to do in other countries.

In general, I need to make arrangements with the front desk (to store luggage, hire a car, etc) that I need to talk to them anyways.
Yes sorry should have clarified, Im asking this question more from the view of at hotels in the US.
I usually formally check out internationally as well, it just depends on where. For example in India they take copies of your passport and visa. Thats a place I definitely check out formally.
nawlins likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Most of my hotel stays are international. I'd say 95%, unless I'm doing mattress runs at a normal repeat hotel. In the US, probably 80%.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:09 pm

I do drop off the key as a little "hey, you can clean this one now if you like" but I let them know I already have the bill and and good to go. If there is a big line or something, I may drop the key in the box if there is one or just leave.

If I don't have the bill already or am in another country, like others, I will actually check out.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
90% of my stays are the same 2-3 properties, week after week, so I know I'll get the receipt via email and don't bother. Typically the same for SPG/Marriott, as I know I can get them on-line, or it's pretty likely I'll get by email.

I stayed at a non-chain hotel in Las Vegas last week for a conference, so I stopped there, and typically do it overseas when on vacation.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
In the US, probably 80%.
What does this accomplish for you or the hotel?

What is the reason others check out when at an international hotel? If the hotel took your credit card at check in, won't they just use that card for the bill and any incidentals?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In the US, pretty much never. I usually review the statement under the door and will call to challenge any discrepancies. I wish more chains would allow you to check out electronically on your phone. I would like to let them know that I have vacated the room so that they can turn it over but I am not going to take time out of my day to stop and stand in line. If I happen to go by the front desk I will hand my key to a desk clerk but I don't stop or wait for acknowledgement, nor do I wait for them to do anything with it. I assume they will process my checkout and inform housekeeping when they get a moment.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Maybe I'm old school and boring but I almost always check out and drop my keys at the front desk. Though there was that one time earlier this year when I had a fellow Fter check out my room because I bailed early and my rate had a min stay requirement.

I feel like many of the hotels I've stayed in have stopped the practice of slipping the folio under the door.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:52 pm

Once, in a rush to catch a train, I called the hotel after I got onboard to let them know I left but did not get a chance to check out.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Honestly for me most of the time, I don't. If I'm with a novice they're always like - wait ! Don't you have to check out? Lol

I was just in a Bogota HIX and they had to check the room before I checked out (and upon check out they manually swiped my card to charge me). I don't really remember a time when in the US checking my room when checking out .. but then again most of the time I just leave anyways
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:13 pm

Almost never and I dhave my return the keys - I give them to my kids and tell them they're credit cards
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by will2288
What does this accomplish for you or the hotel?

What is the reason others check out when at an international hotel? If the hotel took your credit card at check in, won't they just use that card for the bill and any incidentals?
I normally stay at full service properties. I want to make sure that there are no extra charges (minibar, room service, extra bed) on my bill. It is 20 times easier to handle it then, than to try to fix stuff after you're gone.

I'd say the bill needs to be fixed about 25% of the time. (Worldwide average)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I normally stay at full service properties. I want to make sure that there are no extra charges (minibar, room service, extra bed) on my bill. It is 20 times easier to handle it then, than to try to fix stuff after you're gone.

I'd say the bill needs to be fixed about 25% of the time. (Worldwide average)
Agree, plus sometimes I need a final bill showing a zero balance for reimbursement.

If there isn't a huge line, I try to actually check out so that the bill has a time stamp showing when I left in case there's a later issue about being charged for an extra half day, especially in places that resisted agreeing to give me the late checkout to which I am entitled as a published benefit of my hotel chain elite status.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I almost always formally check out at the desk or from my room. Mostly it's out of courtesy to allow the cleaning staff to begin their work, but also to confirm my bill as others have pointed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.