Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long term (1 month) parking at an airport hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Long term (1 month) parking at an airport hotel

Has anybody ever negotiated a parking-only rate at an airport hotel?

I'll be gone for an amount of time that would rack up an exorbitant airport parking bill, even in the economy lots. Let's assume taxi/Uber is not an option. I found a website called Airport Parking Reservations that allows booking only a parking space at airport hotels -- but the selection of hotels is thin, and I presume I could get a better rate by contacting hotels directly. Anyone have tips? How safe is it to leave a car parked in a hotel lot for one month straight?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
one-way rental car from near work/home to the airport on departure, and similar from the airport to that same location on return -- learned about this when working at Edwards AFB; company rate with Avis (Lancaster CA to/from BUR/LAX, approx 90 miles) was around $30 -- have regularly done similar trips to/from BWI/DCA/IAD when living in the far western suburbs of DC
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:08 pm

I did this when I was commuting. The negotiated rate was significantly less than the airport rate, and while I never left my truck for a month straight, I would leave it for two weeks pretty regularly. I found the best rate, and the places most willing to discuss were not necessarily the hotels I would stay in. Rather, they were non chain hotels under local control. I never worried about the truck but the area around this airport was pretty respectable. I'm not sure I would do it in all cities.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by davie355
Has anybody ever negotiated a parking-only rate at an airport hotel?

I'll be gone for an amount of time that would rack up an exorbitant airport parking bill, even in the economy lots. Let's assume taxi/Uber is not an option. I found a website called Airport Parking Reservations that allows booking only a parking space at airport hotels -- but the selection of hotels is thin, and I presume I could get a better rate by contacting hotels directly. Anyone have tips? How safe is it to leave a car parked in a hotel lot for one month straight?
I've done strictly this a few times. My personal rule was only a hotel that had an underground garage.

I'd usually talk it over with the manager and depending on occupancy it was almost never a problem. Last time I did this was in Shanghai near Pudong but have done it in EWR and SFO as well.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Or use a car service or airport shuttle? These would surely be much cheaper than a month's parking.

I fly out of LAX frequently and my rule of thumb is 2 weeks or more, use a car service or one-way rentals, 1-2 weeks depends on need for car and/or arrival time.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Or use a car service or airport shuttle? These would surely be much cheaper than a month's parking.
The OP indicates that sort of thing isn't an option. Not everyone lives in a metropolitan area. When you live in a rural area, an hour or even two away from the airport (as I used to), there is no viable car service, taxi, uber, and sometimes not even a local rental car place that isn't some distance away, too. Unless you have a very helpful friend or relative willing to drive 2+ hours roundtrip to drop you off and then again to pick you up, your only choice is to leave your car at or near the airport, unfortunately.

I was also thinking to contact the hotels directly as that might result in a better rate and more options.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:21 pm

Contact the manager and you can probably work something out. I have done this for 3 months one time.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
The OP indicates that sort of thing isn't an option. Not everyone lives in a metropolitan area. When you live in a rural area, an hour or even two away from the airport (as I used to), there is no viable car service, taxi, uber, and sometimes not even a local rental car place that isn't some distance away, too. Unless you have a very helpful friend or relative willing to drive 2+ hours roundtrip to drop you off and then again to pick you up, your only choice is to leave your car at or near the airport, unfortunately.

I was also thinking to contact the hotels directly as that might result in a better rate and more options.
In addition, many urban dwellers do not have assigned parking spots, and are only permitted to park on the street for a few days before the car can be towed.

I would think you'd be better off negotiating with an airport-adjacent private parking lot than with a hotel, but I have never actually tried this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.