Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most segments in a day?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Most segments in a day?

Just got back from a segment run on Southwest so I can get Companion status and it made my wonder the most segments people have flown in a day. I flew SAN to LAS 3 round trips or 6 segments in about 13 hours. What are your favorite segment hops?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I do 4 on same day round trips and at least once 5 but never 6. I can see doing it to get status like you did but that's about it.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I did 8 segments (with a throwaway ninth) in one day -- five flights -- on a $39 Mohawk Airlines "Weekend Unlimited" trip in Mar 1972:
ITH-ELM
ELM-BGM-BOS
BOS-PVD-BDL-BUF
BUF-UCA
UCA-ITH (actually ticketed UCA-DCA, but didn't fly the last leg)
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That's what I call an interesting trip! Did you actually get real service back on those days, given that those are probably mostly short flights?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I was a college freshman at that time, so I really don't remember too many details, but I did fly the ITH-ELM legs a lot between 1971 and 1976 and I'd have to say "not much to speak of" ... the other 30- to 90-mile legs (ELM-BGM, BOS-PVD, UCA-ITH) on this jaunt were also probably pretty sparse in terms of seeing the FA

BGM-BOS and BDL-BUF were certainly long enough (45 min to 1+15) for the FAs to get one pass of the beverage cart, and there may well have been a snack-like service since they were ~0800 and ~1430 departures ... BUF-UCA was also about 45 min leaving ~1700 so it may have had something with the beverages as well
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've never been able to break five, I've done it a few times:

- PHX-ORD-MCI-DFW-SNA-JFK
- JAX-DFW-SNA-SFO-LAX-PHX
- RDU-ORD-PDX-GEG-SEA-PHX
- PHX-LAX-SFO-BOI-SFO-LAX, was supposed to go onto PHX but I VDBed and went the next day, that would have given me six
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My very first flight was a c.1980 Republic ticket to Disneyworld that was something like GRR-LAN-DTW-then something like CVG (don't think it was Atlanta, maybe Dayton?)- MCO.

I remember having to pee really bad past Detroit because the FA had managed a drink service on both the GRR-LAN and LAN-DTW legs.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
7 segments in 24 hours, though over 2 calendar days, as you cross the date line between HNL and MAJ
HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSE-PHN-TKK-GUM-MNL
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I have a upcoming return, YWK-YZV-YWK-YUL-IAD-DEN, one of my longest day-wise at 5 segments, but most of my trips due to where I am living are a minimum of 3-4 segs without leaving an airport (MSO-DEN-SFO-PEK for example)
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Palal
7 segments in 24 hours, though over 2 calendar days, as you cross the date line between HNL and MAJ
HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSE-PHN-TKK-GUM-MNL
The island hopper came to mind as soon as I saw this thread! I'll be on it next summer.

In 1987 to get to Australia we ended up flying BOI-DEN-SFO-LAX-HNL-AKL-SYD, though it's possible we went over the 24 hour mark somewhere over the pacific.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I think the most flights I've flown in one calendar day without the benefit of crossing the international dateline for domestic was 8 (actually only 14 hours and in a single timezone), for international was 6. If include crossing the international dateline the most is probably a little higher for a mixture of international and domestic.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Most in a row: 9 segments, including one overnight flight. DEN-SLC-LAX-SBA-SLC-IAH-CDG-CPH-RIX-HEL. (trip report)

Most in one trip: 31 segments in 9 days. HEL-CPH-AMS-SFO-LAX-PHX-MSP-MKE-ORD-MSP-FOD-MSP-CMH-ATL-HOU,IAH-AMS-BUD-CDG-IAD-ATL-LIT-MEM-SAT-SLC-TWF-SLC-PHX-LAX-SEA-CDG-CPH-HEL

All in economy...
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
In 2009 I did RIC-CLT-ORD-PDX-SFO-LAX-IAD in one day. The LAX-IAD was overnight followed by IAD-RIC. All in F on US/UA.

Basically a mileage run because at the time I was earning 625% miles for crediting to BD Diamond Club with a 600 mile minimum if I recall. 43,900 or so miles for $900 wasn't bad given BD's ridiculously low redemptions.

Last edited by Fraser; Oct 10, 2016 at 9:36 pm
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
I've done 5 segments twice. TUS-SFO-PDX-SEA-SLC-TUS in February 2015 & PHX-DTW-EWR/JFK-AUS-PHX-TUS in June 2015. Interestingly enough neither were actually intended as mileage or segment runs. The first was a day trip to PDX that was booked as 2 one-ways on UA & DL, while the second was a day trip to NYC beginning with a red-eye on DL followed by an award ticket back home on AA that was originally routed as JFK-ORD-TUS. ORD flight cancellations then caused that to be re-booked through AUS & PHX getting me the 5 flights.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
I've done five segments in a day a handful of times.
PWM-PHL-PHX-YEG-YQU
PWM-PHL-PHX-YYC-YQU
YQU-YEG-YYZ-PHL-PWM
YQU-YYC-YYZ-PHL-PWM
PWM-EWR-SEA-YYC-YXH

Those segments in DASH 8s and or CRJ200s at the end of the day were not fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.