Wiki Posts
Search

One wheeled landing. My first iirc

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
One wheeled landing. My first iirc

Flew from Ord to BWI on UA 597 today. There were crosswinds on approach and then we landed on one wheel. It was a rough landing but perfectly routine judging by lack of reaction around us. My dad grumbled that the pilot messed up the landing. I didn't think so and googled one wheeled landings and saw a diagram of a plane approaching the runway skewed and then landing and going straight down the runway. Of course I vouched for the pilots skill.

I'm more of a railfan but flyertalk is teaching more about aviation which makes flying more interesting.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Well, you landed with the upwind main gear touching down first, followed by the downwind main gear and then the nose gear. Put simply, this is the result of a sideslip, one of the techniques used in crosswind landings. Unless you've just begun commercial air travel, you've likely been on many flights where this happened, to one degree or another, but probably just weren't aware of it.

From your title - "one wheeled landing" - I thought this would be about the failure of all but one gear to deploy which would be a much more "interesting" experience at best.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Most likely first time I noticed it

It's interesting to notice that there are different ways to land. Having never really thought of it before I just assumed that it was always the two back wheels and then the Nose.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by steve4031
It's interesting to notice that there are different ways to land. Having never really thought of it before I just assumed that it was always the two back wheels and then the Nose.
In a crosswind, if the two back wheels touch together then either the airplane is drifting sideways across the runway, due to the crosswind, or the airplane is not aligned with the runway.

Here's a 10-minute training video for general aviation pilots on crosswind landings which discusses the techniques.

Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:21 am

Every landing is a one-wheeled landing like that. At least, the chances of both MLG hitting the runway at the exact same time are pretty much zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.