Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same day turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
People fly in for the day - or for a few hours - and then turn right around all the time. No big deal. Nobody will care.
I fly somewhere for lunch or dinner often, especially if I have found a cheap deal. Once a TSA agent spotted me when I was at SAV for my return flight home. I handed him my ID and boarding pass, and he says to me: "Why was your trip so short." I answered with "How did you know?" He then told me he had seen me arriving earlier in the day. I told him I had found a dirt cheap fare from JFK to SAV on B6 with a same-day return. He thanked me for the cheap fare info and wished me a safe trip.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Done it many times with many US airlines/airports with no issues.

That being said, why is Canada so strict? It seems they are stricter than the US with everything Customs/Immigration related.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by airplanegod
Done it many times with many US airlines/airports with no issues.

That being said, why is Canada so strict? It seems they are stricter than the US with everything Customs/Immigration related.
I seem to always have bad luck with Canada customs. In December, I got sent to secondary and they went through all the pictures (thousands) on my phone, etc.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a lot less traffic in canada, so more time to be strict
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I've had more problems entering Canada than any other country, including East Germany and Czechoslovakia back in the Red days, but most of the issues were understandable. Once, at Victoria, BC, arriving by the car ferry with a friend who had constantly bought fruit as we drove through Washington, and who had also eaten most of it, I admitted that we still had one Yakima peach. That would have been OK if we had been able to find it in the car.

Then there was the time, at YHZ as I was going to stay in a rural cabin -- owned, as it happened, by the same friend -- the agent reasonably suspected that I had brought gifts for the friend or the friend's family. In fact, I hadn't; I planned to wait until I saw what the cabin needed and buy something there.* But the agent clearly didn't believe that, and I was a bit surprised that they didn't search my luggage.

This friend wasn't implicated the time I was driving to Ottawa for a walking-club event, nine walks over four or five days spanning the Canada Day holiday. The agent at that crossing found the idea especially ludicrous. Who would come to Canada to walk when you can walk at home? I should probably have said just that I was coming to see the fireworks on Parliament Hill.

*I have also seen this suspicion from another point of view, on a night train from Vienna to Zurich, quite a few years ago, when I was sharing a Liegewagen compartment with a grandmother from Vienna and some of her grandchildren. What especially aroused the Swiss agent's suspicions was that the grandchildren had been staying in Vienna while their mother, in Switzerland, was having another baby, and he insisted (probably correctly, I thought) that the grandmother must have been bringing gifts for the new baby. Much more recently, I traveled the same route by day train, but with the Schengen agreement, there was no immigration or customs check at all.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Efrem
Did the same thing several years ago, driving to Montreal en route from Boston to Burlington, Vermont where my younger son lived at the time. It was for a FlyerTalk get-together! As best I recall, a good time was had by all, and I wasn't quizzed unduly when crossing the border. Perhaps the Quebecois are so proud of their food that they find it natural that a Yank would drive for hours to have some.
It did occur to me then that my story would have seemed more plausible in Quebec.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.