Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are airline tickets not taxed ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Why are airline tickets not taxed ?

Every service / product, so also transportation (bus / train / car fuel) is taxed, called GST, Sales Tax or whatever.

Why are air tickets exempt from sales tax ?

According to COP21 climate change plans, we should do everything to lower CO2 emissions and air travel is one of the larger ones. Now, oil prices are low, air tickets are cheaper than ever, this is a chance to tax air tickets, according to the principle 'the polluter pays'.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What country? Airplane tickets are taxed at the federal level in the USA, but at least generally not hit with state sales tax. The old PSA and even early Southwest might have been exempt from the federal and subject to state taxes when they operated solely within a single state.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by airsurfer
Every service / product, so also transportation (bus / train / car fuel) is taxed, called GST, Sales Tax or whatever.

According to COP21 climate change plans, we should do everything to lower CO2 emissions and air travel is one of the larger ones. Now, oil prices are low, air tickets are cheaper than ever, this is a chance to tax air tickets, according to the principle 'the polluter pays'.
If you think airline tickets aren't taxed in the U.S. or Europe, look at this price breakdown for a hypothetic trip PHL to MAD with a change at LHR:

I believe the reason you don't see the tax added on at the time of purchase is because of laws in the U.S. requiring full disclosure of cost in ads.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
From the UK, there is no VAT on them which seems strange. I'm guessing that the greatest value would be for flights going outside the EU and thus would be exempt which perhaps is why VAT is not added, or perhaps it's by international treaty. But the lack of VAT is made up for by APD.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If you think airline tickets aren't taxed in the U.S. or Europe, look at this price breakdown for a hypothetic trip PHL to MAD with a change at LHR:
UK/EU has very little that actually falls into the actual tax category. It's mostly airline or other charges, but the airlines bunch it together as taxes and charges and have a smile when everyone deems it all taxes and blames the government.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
From the UK, there is no VAT on them which seems strange. I'm guessing that the greatest value would be for flights going outside the EU and thus would be exempt which perhaps is why VAT is not added, or perhaps it's by international treaty. But the lack of VAT is made up for by APD.
The lack of VAT on domestic flights is something to do with competiton laws keeping things the same as other forms of transport I believe.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
In the U.S., services are not generally subject to sales taxes. Airlines make up for this by being subject to a bazillion other taxes.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Efrem
In the U.S., services are not generally subject to sales taxes. Airlines make up for this by being subject to a bazillion other taxes.
Indeed. Many sales taxes are not true value-added taxes and thus are not applied to services. Typically countries/states with a form of VAT will also apply it to airline tickets.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by airsurfer

Tons of taxes on air tickets already. You're kind of scaring us regular flyers with your concept of "chance to tax". You sound almost excited that you get to pay taxes. Want to pay mine and feel doubly good?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
OP clearly does not live in British Columbia, where we are way ahead on taxing everything.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Canada charges GST on domestic and US flights (although international are generally exempt), along with various other taxes. As an earlier post noted, laws require airlines to show tax-inclusive pricing. As a result, you don't see sales tax added after the fact like you do with most purchases, but don't worry, the government hasn't missed this opportunity for you to contribute to society
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:05 pm

Earn yourself enough miles for an international award ticket and you'll soon learn about taxes on airfare
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
UK/EU has very little that actually falls into the actual tax category. It's mostly airline or other charges, but the airlines bunch it together as taxes and charges and have a smile when everyone deems it all taxes and blames the government.
Generally sales taxes are levied in the country where the ticket is sold. The example posted is for a ticket sold via a US company to a US resident with a US address for a trip originating in the US. When I've priced tickets on EU sites for intra-EU trips they show taxes based on the country of the airport where the first segment departs.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:37 pm

Generally sales taxes are levied in the country where the ticket is sold. The example posted is for a ticket sold via a US company to a US resident with a US address for a trip originating in the US. When I've priced tickets on EU sites for intra-EU trips they show taxes based on the country of the airport where the first segment departs.
Yeah, my point was that UK purchased tickets have very little in the way of taxes, usually only APD. The rest are the charges under the "taxes and charges" heading.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:32 am

I believe the reason you don't see the tax added on at the time of purchase is because of laws in the U.S. requiring full disclosure of cost in ads.
only in airlines

not for supermarkets ($0.99 + tax)

or hotels (occupancy/hotel tax AND resort fees... sigh)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.