Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you could stock an Airline lounge...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

If you could stock an Airline lounge...

If you could stock an airline lounge what would you stock it with?

I'm mainly talking food and beverage. We often see lavish airline lounges which offer water bars (LH), pizza ovens (QF), restaurant dining (EK, SQ, LH, QF, CX just to name a few) or a good manned cocktail bar (a lot of airlines) but what would your ideal lounge include?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'd have more exciting things for breakfast that are not in the cooked breakfast or eggs and bacon line. Not such a big deal in the scheme of things when I could choose anything but it really bugs me.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Dim sum on push carts?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:54 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Ask Do & Co for advice (e.g. IST's TK lounge)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:40 am

I would include the standard basics (snacks and drinks). I would include some alcohol (including some local stuff (craft beers, popular wines, etc.)... meal options would be some international stuff (as allergen-free as possible) and a selection of local stuff (eg. chicken rice or curry laksa for a lounge based in Singapore... creole food if in New Orleans, poutine and smoked meats if in Montreal, etc.)...

it might be a bit more expensive, but if you're going to market yourself as a premium rest-bit for someone, make it so. Done properly, it could be quite successful.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

It really depends on what kind of lounge. There's a vast difference in what's needed between domestic flights and international ones.

A manned cocktail bar? I can make my own drink thanks. Don't need a make work project.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Hershey Kisses. I always need a bite of something sweet, and the yogurt raisins don't cut it.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by henrus
If you could stock an airline lounge what would you stock it with?

I'm mainly talking food and beverage. We often see lavish airline lounges which offer water bars (LH), pizza ovens (QF), restaurant dining (EK, SQ, LH, QF, CX just to name a few) or a good manned cocktail bar (a lot of airlines) but what would your ideal lounge include?
I don't go into a lounge to eat. Snacks are fine. Small sandwiches, etc. Eggs in the morning.

I would ban alcohol from all lounges. Tired of dealing with boisterous drunks on planes.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
In my dreams: A Texas steak-house lounge, with cooked-to-order steaks, fresh off the grill, waitress service and an open-air beer garden with a full range of craft beers.

Realistically: Two or three hot food options (buffet-style is usually the most practical), snacks such as small sandwiches and salads. On the drinks side, decent beer (preferably on tap like at CPH) and good, strong coffee.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I don't go into a lounge to eat. Snacks are fine. Small sandwiches, etc. Eggs in the morning.

I would ban alcohol from all lounges. Tired of dealing with boisterous drunks on planes.
I don't think banning alcohol would mitigate the drunks on the various aircraft. If not there, they'll go to the other locations that do server alcohol or (seemingly more common), buy some at the nearest duty free and secretly drink it.

One thing I noticed is no longer the case.... back in the late 80's and early 90's, at Asian airports, if you bought any alcohol or cigarettes, they would take your ticket number and deliver it to you last minute at your gate... if you did that on top of banning alcohol in the lounges, that would work. But just a ban in the lounges wouldn't work...

That and the price of entry would have to go down....
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I don't think banning alcohol would mitigate the drunks on the various aircraft. If not there, they'll go to the other locations that do server alcohol or (seemingly more common), buy some at the nearest duty free and secretly drink it.
Exactly. All that a ban on alcohol in the lounges would achieve is further "enhancing" away the service for the majority of people, who are fully capable of enjoying a beer or two without getting nuked and causing problems for everyone else.

My 2c is: if you get drunk and cause problems in the air, you should get banned from flying.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
- Good local craft beers on tap. I've been in a lot of lounges that serve *some* local/regional beers, but pilsners and lagers are always over-represented. Lets get some decent hops coming out of those taps!

- A game room. Would obviously need to be soundproofed enough that the rest of the lounge wasn't bothered. Pool table, fooz, ping pong, pinball, a couple stand-up arcade games, bar shuffleboard, etc.

- Maybe a few large TVs in the game room...but no TVs anywhere else in the lounge.

- In general, if I was designing a larger lounge, I'd do everything possible to make one floor or area as whisper-quiet as possible (no cellphones, etc.) and let the other floor be the party lounge.

- Now to really dream...lounges with some kind of outdoor access. There's one in Lima (a generic airport lounge that Star Alliance elites can access) that has a nice outdoor sitting area. Waiting for a midnight flight, it was nice and cool out there...very refreshing.

- Food: I like the idea of the smaller sandwiches. Paninis or whatever...both for breakfast and later in the day. They're easy, portable, and you can make about 4 different kinds and please almost everybody.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:52 am

Things I really want in a lounge: Two or more hot meal options, self serve beer, the Economist magazine available free.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jeebus
dim sum on push carts?
+1
Originally Posted by madone59
hershey kisses. I always need a bite of something sweet, and the yogurt raisins don't cut it.

Yogurt raisins are awful. They look like they might be yogurt almonds and disappoint when revealed to be raisins! A good way to have a snack that gets little use and saves money though.
Originally Posted by pinniped
- good local craft beers on tap. I've been in a lot of lounges that serve *some* local/regional beers, but pilsners and lagers are always over-represented. Lets get some decent hops coming out of those taps!

- a game room. Would obviously need to be soundproofed enough that the rest of the lounge wasn't bothered. Pool table, fooz, ping pong, pinball, a couple stand-up arcade games, bar shuffleboard, etc.

- maybe a few large tvs in the game room...but no tvs anywhere else in the lounge.
+1
- in general, if i was designing a larger lounge, i'd do everything possible to make one floor or area as whisper-quiet as possible (no cellphones, etc.) and let the other floor be the party lounge.

- now to really dream...lounges with some kind of outdoor access. There's one in lima (a generic airport lounge that star alliance elites can access) that has a nice outdoor sitting area. Waiting for a midnight flight, it was nice and cool out there...very refreshing.

- food: I like the idea of the smaller sandwiches. Paninis or whatever...both for breakfast and later in the day. They're easy, portable, and you can make about 4 different kinds and please almost everybody.
^^^
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:27 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Soft baked pretzels (with mustard and cheese sauce options) and little dark chocolate squares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.