Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buy business class or upgrade later (BLR-SFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy business class or upgrade later (BLR-SFO)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Remember, you can buy points on most airlines and then use them to upgrade (if special upgrade space is available - it isn't always) or buy saver award tickets. Though not cheap, this can sometimes be cheaper than buying an upgrade or a business class.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:39 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Chandra Shirashyad
Lots of responses. Thanks guys! I see a lot of questions. My parents are coming here with Green Card. So we don't need return ticket. I checked the prices on Kayak. I am getting BLR-SFO premium economy for about 1100USD on British Airways and 1365USD on Air France. When I look for Business class the cheapest I am getting is on Air India for about 2200USD and 2500USD on Cathay Pacific.

So I was wondering if I should buy premium economy on BA or AF and upgrade with cash (I don't have any points or anything like that) at the airport. Is that even possible and if so, would it save any money? I hope that clarifies the question. But based on some of the answers above, looks like it is not going to save any money...
A discounted cash upgrade on BA from Y+ to J if available will be around US$600 per segment. SFO is usually premium heavy so probably a very low chance of an upgrade even being available.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-thread.html

If you want to guarantee travelling in business class, book it from the beginning either outright with cash or buy miles for an award ticket.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
You'll find some very inexpensive oneway premium class fares out of CMB and so consider purchasing a separate sub US$120 economy BLR-CMB. Interlining of baggage may not occur at CMB and you'll have a reduced baggage allowance on the BLR-CMB segment and your parents will have to collect their baggage at CMB and recheck it for their onward journey to SFO. This routing makes the journey longer with additional connections but at least your parents will find the flights comfortable and will have access to lounges at connecting airports.

You can price the tickets at ClearTrip.
That's an interesting idea! Along the same lines, you may want to check out flying thru BOM where recently, a friend flew RT to SFO on business class on Turkish Airways for $2950.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.