Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who pays extra taxes when rerouted due to IRROPS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Something I randomly thought of, in the event of a new routing through a different country due to IRROPS, who pays any extra taxes?

Let's say you're booked JFK-FRA, and that flight gets canceled, and there aren't any open seats on the other JFK-FRA flights, so the airline rebooks you JFK-LHR-FRA. Anyone who's booked an award flight from the US to LHR knows about the high taxes on that airport, so in this case, who pays those taxes and fees to the UK? Does the airline eat the cost, or are you expected to pay them, or does it depend on the reason for the cancelation, such as wx vs mx?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
probably the airline, although the more extreme case would be the reverse (XXX-US rerouted XXX-LHR-US)
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Surely it's the airline? If it's beyond your control, then that definitely shouldn't be passed on to you.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For IRROPS-related rerouted passengers, the airlines aren't always paying the airports and governments all that may be due to the airports and governments actually used by the IRROPS passengers.

IRROPS related re-routing costs are generally picked up by the airline/airlines.m

I have never been asked by the airline to pick up the costs for the IRROPS-related tax and fee difference; but if the rerouted itinerary involves having to pay at-airport taxes or visa type fees, then I've had to pay those but for nothing else for the ticket reissue/exchange.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The UK doesn't levy any taxes on transiting.

LHR has a passenger charge of about £40. This is not a tax.

If you were charged for a reroute due to IRROPS and the airline wouldn't back down, then I am sure you could decline the reroute or in the worst case sue the airline.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by t325
Something I randomly thought of, in the event of a new routing through a different country due to IRROPS, who pays any extra taxes?.
Had this a few times. Arline always absorbed the additional taxes and when they straightened my itineraries I forfeit the difference.

I only had one problem when AA asked for the APD when routing me through LHR. I had to argue a lot that when routing through, the high APD isn't applicable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.