The "good old days of flying"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "good old days of flying"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Decades ago, my parents used to fly YWG-HNL nonstop on Wardair 747, with steak, drinks, etc. in coach. Sounds like a nice ride.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:01 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The consensus here (correct me if I'm wrong, Seat 2a?) is that overall, business and first class is a lot better now and economy is a lot worse, compared to before Deregulation.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by tjl
In the old days, airlines allowed smoking inside the airplane.

Unfortunately, in a crowded space like an airplane, this means involuntary smoking by others near the smoker. Since the smoking section was larger than the typical number of smokers, some non-smokers were forced to become involuntary smokers because the only seats available were in the smoking section.
The smoke didn't know whether it was in the smoking section or not. Everyone in the plane breathed unhealthy levels of it. The miniature packs of cigarettes they used to give away were pretty cool though.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
I appreciate your insight, however just a few points:

a) The seat pitch in first class versus coach was non-existent. One paid for the width of the seat and the class of service.

b) Airline meals back then were still terrible. I used to fly NYC (when I lived there) to LAX all the time. The flight was noisy (those 707s were LOUD!), the "stews" were treated poorly and passing the time meant a book, a deck of cards or a fast-acting barbiturate to sleep.

c) Intercontinental on the 707 was no picnic in the park. It was cramped, usually too hot or too cold, and the seats were always rock hard. It was like flying ten hours in domestic first class. Even with the expanded menu, it wasn't much better than what is offered today.

Maybe it's just my advanced age speaking, but the ability to have AVOD, nicer 180-degree sleeper seats and especially wide-body jets with more room was a real God-send.

YMMV.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by bgrove
- Adjusted for inflation, long-haul fares between major cities appeared much higher than today, easily 3x. Some short-haul fares didn't seem too out of line with what you'd see today.
I believe the CAB did that on purpose, in order to help the airlines compete against the railroads. Back then, it was common for most people to travel short-haul by train, so airlines had to be mindful of not charging too much of a premium on those routes.

The cynic in me says that after putting the passenger railroads out of business, the airlines raised the prices (or at least did not lower them like they did on longer routes) but it's probably a bit more complicated than that.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pharmalady
a) flight delays--not as many flights, but delays were still a pain in the neck
Weren't airlines more willing to book passengers on a competitor to get them to their destination?[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by pharmalady
e) no status, no structured frequent flyer plans and horrible movies on bad projectors
The mileage-/segment-based FFPs of the 80s and 90s or revenue-based of today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.