Wiki Posts
Search

Airports across two countries

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Airports across two countries

Discussion in another thread about pre-clearance sparked off this question in my mind. How many airports serve two (or more) countries?

I have only been to Basel and I was aware Geneva was similar. Basel is located just inside France but has a 'customs road' linking with Switzerland. And a Swiss bus that takes you to Basel centre directly from the airport. It is actually very close to the German border as well but the airport does not offer a German immigration facility.

I did a bit of research and became aware of four more. Any others?

http://www.garfors.com/2013/08/truly...traddling.html
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The CBX bridge allows Americans to park in Chula Vista California and walk into the Tijuana airport.

https://www.crossborderxpress.com
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Some people may think of the states of Kentucky and Ohio as practically different countries. In any case, the Cincinnati airport, CVG, is across the river in Kentucky.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Madone59
The CBX bridge allows Americans to park in Chula Vista California and walk into the Tijuana airport.
In a similar fashion, althought Copenhagen airport is wholly within Denmark, the Swedish city of Malmö is actually closer to CPH than to its own airport MMX, with easy train and road connections.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Some people may think of the states of Kentucky and Ohio as practically different countries. In any case, the Cincinnati airport, CVG, is across the river in Kentucky.
Several U.S. airports are not in the same state as at least one of the major cities they serve. Just off the top of my head, EWR (New York) is in New Jersey and IAD (Wash., DC) is in Virginia. BDL (Springfield, Mass.) is in Connecticut, not unreasonably since it serves Hartford at well. Two of Boston's satellite airports are in other states, as is BWI. This happens a lot when a major city is near a state line.

Not the same as an airport straddling two countries, though.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
HKG comes to mind if you consider Hong Kong, Macau and China to be separate countries

You could also say SIN serves Malaysia
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DCA is in Virginia. Some people in Chicagoland (IL) prefer MKE (WI)

Sioux Falls SD is close to several other states, including MN and IA. Fargo and Grand Forks (both ND) are close to MN. Duluth (MN) airport also serves Superior (WI). STL also serves East St Louis, across the river and over the state line. PHL is used by residents of NJ and Delaware. I'm sure there are many more such examples in the USA.

Some people drive across the border between SEA/YVR and BUF/Toronto for lower fares.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Palal
HKG comes to mind if you consider Hong Kong, Macau and China to be separate countries

You could also say SIN serves Malaysia
From SIN, you can go directly to Macau by hydrofoil/ferry without ever entering Hong Kong.

However, note that for immigration/customs/visa and other entry requirements, Hong Kong is treated as if it's a separate country and not part of mainland China.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From SIN, you can go directly to Macau by hydrofoil/ferry without ever entering Hong Kong.

However, note that for immigration/customs/visa and other entry requirements, Hong Kong is treated as if it's a separate country and not part of mainland China.
I assume you mean from HKG. You can also go to China (Shenzhen, and maybe Guangzhou) without immigrating to Hong Kong, using a ferry that departs straight from the airport.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
I assume you mean from HKG. You can also go to China (Shenzhen, and maybe Guangzhou) without immigrating to Hong Kong, using a ferry that departs straight from the airport.
Thanks. Indeed I did mean HKG and not SIN. (That would be a very long boat ride.)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DCA is in Virginia.
Although much of the runways were built in what was DC territory at the time (although water/mudflats).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Also not quite the same, but the runway at Gold Coast Airport (OOL) in Australia straddles both New South Wales and Queensland. The terminal is in Queensland (as is Gold Coast proper).
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
GIB is right on the border - it's pretty common to see people walking up to La Linea for onward travel. I understand there are plans for an exit directly into Spain, but don't know how far these have got.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To an extent, HKG. I know it's all one country, but with different immigration requirements whether headed to Hong Kong or the mainland. There is a Skype transit exit to Pearl River ferries direct to the mainland.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
US airports close to the Canadian border like BUF and BTV. With their comparably lower fares, Canadians will drive a little farther to take advantage of the savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.