Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you show up early for rental car ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Can you show up early for rental car ?

I want to show up 12 hours earlier for my rental car at YVR - do you think this will be a problem?

In the past when I have tried to just add in my membership number through a phone agent, it has triggered massive increases in pricing so I am hesitant to call. Due to my flights changing, wondering if I can show up 12 early hours earlier and return the car 12 hours earlier without penalty. Renting for eight days so will still meet the standard requirements like an overnight Saturday, etc.

Booked a really good rate on Travelocity for Thrifty many months ago if that makes a difference.

Sorry if this is a "dummy" question…appreciate any insights!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Your main risk will be that they don't have a car for you. Up to you to decide whether that's a risk worth taking.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:44 pm

I think if they can figure a way to charge you for any changes, they will. The most economical solution might be to book another car for the first 12 hours. Otherwise, I'd try to change the reservation in advance. You can still reject any changes and charges after they give you a quote.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A pickup 12 hour early - especially if on a different calendar day - is almost certain to end up repricing IMO.

Try Autoslash.com for the new dates/times and see if they can get something close to the original price.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:19 am

If on the same day, you will be fine. And it's rare for a site to not have a car. Worst case is you rent a car fro 12 hours on the spot or take a cab somewhere and wait 12 hours.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Whatever rental company you go with, they will have lots of cars at YVR. The only thing is you may have to accept a different class of car. And the price shouldn't change if the timing is changing by the same amount on both ends of the trip.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thx a mint for all the replies and info - much appreciated!

I'll look into the options mentioned (never heard of autoslash - will put that in my pocket!) and will have a worse case scenario lined up and feel much better about it now!

cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.