Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is Canada considered abroad?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

is Canada considered abroad?

I was wondering if they consider Canada to be considered abroad from California or Trans Border. I know that a passport is required but there are definitions of going abroad or Trans Border etc.

Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Who's "they"? Travel between the US and Canada has some similarities with domestic travel and some similarities with international travel, but you'll have to be more specific about what your question is.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't know why not given the definition of the word "abroad"...

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...english/abroad

abroad adverb [ after verb ] (OTHER COUNTRY)

in or to a foreign country or countries:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abroad

1 : over a wide area : widely

2 : away from one's home

3 : beyond the boundaries of one's country

4 : in wide circulation : about

5 : wide of the mark : astray
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Websters:

beyond the boundaries of one's country

The last I checked Canada and the USA are two different countries.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're crossing an international border. There are some accommodations because of the trade and business cross-border connections. But YOU should consider it as traveling abroad. Bring your passport. Yes you can use the passport card, but if you have the passport why bother? The card seems to be one of those accommodations for regular commercial travelers.
Also, check with your mobile provider. Outside of T-Mobile, they definitely treat Canada as abroad and charge accordingly.

Last edited by rickg523; Jul 13, 2016 at 1:54 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puls
Who's "they"? Travel between the US and Canada has some similarities with domestic travel and some similarities with international travel, but you'll have to be more specific about what your question is.
The airlines and people going to Canada. I was confused with Transborder.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
in short, yes.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
You're crossing an international border. There are some accommodations because of the trade and business cross-border connections. But YOU should consider it as traveling abroad. Bring your passport. Yes you can use the passport card, but if you have the passport why bother? The card seems to be one of those accommodations for regular commercial travelers.
Also, check with your mobile provider. Outside of T-Mobile, they definitely treat Canada as abroad and charge accordingly.
We have passports and Tmobile.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
The airlines and people going to Canada. I was confused with Transborder.
"Transborder" in this case is a term usually applied to flights from Canada to the US where border preclearance is in effect.

It creates a third category of departing passengers for those airports in Canada, where they've officially departed Canada and entered the US already, so they have to be separated both from domestic passengers and from other international passengers.

It doesn't apply to flights from the US to Canada.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:21 am

What an odd question.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by emrdoc
What an odd question.
I know right.

Since it's an international border. It sure is abroad.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1p
I wouldn't have phrased the question that way, but you officially enter the US inside your Canadian departure airport when flying from Canada to the US. I once had a significant flight delay from Toronto, and spent several hours in the Transborder area. At that point I was legally in the US, even though I was physically in Toronto. If I had wanted to get food or shop airside, I would have had to exit the US and re-enter Canada. The flight then lands as a US domestic flight at the destination US airport, as all border formalities were done in Canada.

Last edited by DocP; Jul 14, 2016 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
For an American it's definitely "abroad" and once beyond the surface similarities it is a country with a very different history, culture and government.

The same applies to a Canadian going to the U.S. We would much rather say we are going "abroad" when what we are actually doing is spending the weekend in Buffalo.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by danielonn
I was wondering if they consider Canada to be considered abroad from California or Trans Border. I know that a passport is required but there are definitions of going abroad or Trans Border etc.

Thanks.
Of course not. It's overseas.

Originally Posted by emrdoc
What an odd question.
This is one of the more normal ones.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DocP
I wouldn't have phrased the question that way, but you officially enter the US inside your Canadian departure airport when flying from Canada to the US. I once had a significant flight delay from Toronto, and spent several hours in the Transborder area. At that point I was legally in the US, even though I was physically in Toronto. If I had wanted to get food or shop airside, I would have had to exit the US and re-enter Canada. The flight then lands as a US domestic flight at the destination US airport, as all border formalities were done in Canada.
Same with Ireland, although there are shops which take Euros in the Transborder area.

Anyhow, in Canada, Canada is not considered abroad. Elsewhere it is considered abroad, as well as actually being abroad. Simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.