Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best First Class IAD-LAX-IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Best First Class IAD-LAX-IAD?

Hello, I'm planning on making this trip next week. I'll be spending 6 days in LA. I've been living overseas for nearly 20 years and am horribly out of touch with US domestic airlines. I'd like to use American or United as they are part of my miles programs but I'm willing to give up the miles if they are no good or there is another carrier that is better. I've done a lot of searching but have, surprisingly, not been able to find any info online. All information and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
UA and AA operate it with 738's and 739's. VX runs an A320.

United has the most frequencies. Virgin (I think) would have the best seat.

This board is full of opinions on which is "better". These are all products that the rest of the world would consider Business Class.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You may want to also look at DCA-LAX-DCA depending on where you are in DC.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DCA-LAX is Alaska and 2x American, all 738s ... I'm on AS tomorrow morning and have always found them to be very friendly, attentive, and professional
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I have done this many times and at times, I admit, I have taken the long way. On return redeyes I tend to prefer LAX-JFK-DCA and fly AA's business or first. I have tried UA's BF but didn't like it as much. Flying west, I usually do AA or AS's First class depending on schedule and airport. BWI tends to be the cheapest, though.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
United has the most frequencies. Virgin (I think) would have the best seat.
I think Virgin has a much better domestic first class seat compared to UA and AA. First class pitch is huge, and the seat reclines more with an extendable footrest. I'd go Virgin for this route.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Travelmom777
Hello, I'm planning on making this trip next week. I'll be spending 6 days in LA. I've been living overseas for nearly 20 years and am horribly out of touch with US domestic airlines. I'd like to use American or United as they are part of my miles programs but I'm willing to give up the miles if they are no good or there is another carrier that is better. I've done a lot of searching but have, surprisingly, not been able to find any info online. All information and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Domestic First Class isn't.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I know everyone has a different opinion but it is nice to hear them. Seems a lot of people prefer going from DCA but I'm going to need to go from IAD as it is much closer and more convenient for me at that time.

So, with Alaskan off the list, it sounds like Virgin is the best option followed by AA. I will check out what Virgin has to offer. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like any of them do a stellar service. At least it is not yet another 30 hour trip to or from Asia. Thankfully, there are still small mercies in this life.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Travelmom777
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like any of them do a stellar service.
It just depends on what you're used to and what you expect. There aren't many airlines in the world putting lieflats and other world-class amenities into 737s. I find U.S. domestic F (38x21, give or take) to be far better than regular European narrowbody J (which could be 31" pitch and a blocked middle seat). European J often includes lounge access, but you're going nonstop IAD-LAX so I'm guessing lounge isn't terribly important.

I have zero experience with Asian carriers' narrowbody service, so no idea how it compares to them. Looking at Seatguru, Virgin is 55x21. That's downright awesome for an A320 if you ask me. The only other airline I've flown with something similar is Austrian's "enhanced" narrowbody service they used for 4+ hour flights.

If you want something closer to an F experience, you could do the LA-to-NY routing that samosa suggests.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:30 pm

UA has a 777 on this route but currently it is the Hawaii/Guam configuration with domestic F but may see swaps to the international 777 and/or the new reconfigured flat bed domestic 777.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this. IAD and LAX are both UA/United hubs. There should be more availability of direct flights just because of this.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by MtlTourist
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this. IAD and LAX are both UA/United hubs. There should be more availability of direct flights just because of this.
The issue is the flight is nothing to write home about so it's not really a great "value"
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by samosa
The issue is the flight is nothing to write home about so it's not really a great "value"
On the plus side, since there are 3 competitors on the route, there are some sensible F fares on at least some of the flights.

Not an amazing inflight product, but it's still 12 hours (R/T) you aren't spending in coach.

And yes, one of the first things I noticed was United's total frequencies. That might not sway me on a single trip, but if I planned to fly it regularly it certainly would. Especially on UA where once you reach mid-tier elite (I think) you can do same-day changes.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
What sucks about AA is that LAX > IAD is 2X daily but to make things even worse, one of those 2X is a red eye
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
What sucks about AA is that LAX > IAD is 2X daily but to make things even worse, one of those 2X is a red eye
what sucked worse is that, until very recently, AA ran a 319 on that trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.