Longest trip with just carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest trip with just carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I prefer not to check a bag simply because it speeds up the process and minimizes risk.

The longest I've gone carry on only is probably around 10 days. Most certainly can go longer but I don't usually go on trips longer than that. The exception to that is next month when I go on an 18 day trip to Australia/New Zealand and SE Asia. Going to be tricky as I need some warmer clothes for Australia/NZ but I think it'll be doable, especially with a laundry stop somewhere in between.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The older and more experienced I get, the lighter I pack. If I were heading out for a year long trip tomorrow, my standard carry-on and daypack is all I'd need.

For most people, the downfall - if you could call it that - is clothing. For some it's important for whatever reason to have a wide variety of outfits available. To each their own.

It's said that clothes make the man. Yeah, whatever... When traveling I'm satisfied with simple but comfortable travel clothes. I'm also willing to wear a pair of socks or pants for a couple of days.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I feel like the OP should have specified whether they meant period or just for a trip out of the bag with no laundry/shopping trips/etc. I can live out of a single bag indefinitely if I have regular access to laundry and can replenish my toiletries. As can most of us, I'd think. At least as long as you are sticking to a single climate.

Actually living out of a carry on with no laundry or purchase of new toiletries? That's probably more along the lines of a week in summer or 5 days in winter. Longer if I didn't care about being smelly.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The older and more experienced I get, the lighter I pack. If I were heading out for a year long trip tomorrow, my standard carry-on and daypack is all I'd need.

For most people, the downfall - if you could call it that - is clothing. For some it's important for whatever reason to have a wide variety of outfits available. To each their own.

It's said that clothes make the man. Yeah, whatever... When traveling I'm satisfied with simple but comfortable travel clothes. I'm also willing to wear a pair of socks or pants for a couple of days.
Ditto. I hardly ever carry more than a day back. I do cheat though by stashing suits/dress shoes/golf shoes, etc. at locations I frequently visit. The only exception is ski trips.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
What's the longest trips you guys have taken for pleasure where you did carry on only?
Longest in time: about a month around SE Asia.
Longest by distance: Western US to Europe and back.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:06 am

my last trip from dca to yqb, I packed enough and did laundry once - colours/white/etc all in the same load. was a great feeling putting on newly washed clothes in the hotel.....
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: DL Silver
5 weeks by myself, traveling around East and South East Asia. NRT-KIX-CJU-ICN-KUL- LGK-DPS-SIN-SGN-BKK-HKT-PEK-KIX. I only brought 3 pairs of shoes, multiple colors of t-shirts, shorts, skirts. So far it was the best/easiest trip I've ever done.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:09 am

Maybe I'm looking into this too much...say I goto from IAD to LAX (or LAS) for a week...and try to make this trip happen with ONLY a hand carry and a 'personal item (i.e. camera bag)'.

I'll make sure I look for a place that has laundry facilities, but for those who've made it happen with a hand carry....did you have a 20" or 22" as your choice of luggage?

I know I'll probably end up taking my osprey porter 46 and 1 other hand carry as allowed.

TIA.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I use a 20" rollaboard, plus, if necessary, a small day pack (and I do mean small--I am 5'2" and bought my day pack in the children's department at REI!). For a week's trip I would not need to do laundry. Two pairs of shoes at most, and the rest of my clothes easily roll up and fit in the small suitcase. Of course, since I am 5'2", my clothes are small also, so YMMV.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
2 weeks, but we were only in southeast asia and did laundry twice. We also had a personal item (duffel bag), so we cheated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.