Longest trip with just carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest trip with just carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
3+ months with this only. No other bags.

Last edited by 5khours; Jun 12, 2016 at 5:35 pm
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
I'll answer the question, but it doesn't seem that impressive compared with other answers. I feel it did get me extra questioning at customs upon return to US (over a week in Japan with no checked luggage? Exactly what were you doing there?)

1 small bag for 10 days in Japan, MCI-NRT. Stayed w/relatives w/laundry.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
3+ months with this.

This backpack looks gorgeous. Any chance you can share a picture of the back padding and interior pockets?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
I'll answer the question, but it doesn't seem that impressive compared with other answers. I feel it did get me extra questioning at customs upon return to US (over a week in Japan with no checked luggage? Exactly what were you doing there?)

1 small bag for 10 days in Japan, MCI-NRT. Stayed w/relatives w/laundry.
Get Global Entry, never answer their silly questions again.

I was once asked why I was wearing a coat when reentering at IAH. Because it's December and I'm arriving from Germany you twit.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Get Global Entry, never answer their silly questions again.
Not quite. I just did a back-to-back turnaround at NAS, which has GE kiosks, but you still have to hand your receipt to an ICE officer before proceeding. It wasn't a big deal, but I did have to stand there for several minutes explaining why I was returning to PHL from HNL via NAS!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
~1 month. Australia, SE Asia and Japan. I needed a wide array of clothes including a tuxedo, beach wear for SE Asia and cold weather clothing for Japan. Osprey backpack and a tumi alpha trifold. Good to go.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:46 pm

All my solo trips -- 4-7 consecutive weeks, once almost every year since 1997 -- have been with in only. I've also done a 7-month musical tour and a 2-week personal concert tour (piano), the latter with a couple dozen CDs for sale.

I feel lucky that the bag is rarely weighed; minimizing human contact (with on-line check-in) is key.

Seth
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by mmff
This backpack looks gorgeous. Any chance you can share a picture of the back padding and interior pockets?
B&R used to have good pics on the site. Not any more. I think there are some pics on amazon.com. The bag is not perfect, but better than anything else I have found.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:36 pm

This is insane never went on more than a 3 day trip with a carry on.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
If you can do laundry often enough -- this might mean hand laundry in the bathroom sink every night -- it's possible to go indefinitely with only enough clothing for three days, especially if you don't need business apparel. This can even work for a two-climate trip, e.g., going in winter from a cold climate to a warm one, if you choose carefully.

I've done 8 to 14 days with one carry-on bag (the largest that major airlines allow) plus a guide bag (big enough for extra glasses, phone, prescription medicine, and an e-reader) when I was sure that I could do hand laundry. This is easier when staying in one place for several days at a time; if you're constantly on the move, it is difficult to keep up with laundry. It's also a challenge in the British isles, where laundry usually doesn't dry overnight.

I don't try to do this when I will need business clothes, or when frequent laundry will be impossible.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I month in Europe (including Germany and alpine Austria -- temps sometimes in the low 40s -- and Rome or Spain-- temps in the 60s) in the fall each year, carry-on only. Everything goes with everything else. Layering pieces. Carry-on only.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Over the years, as I've flown more and more, I've really gotten addicted to the speed and convenience of traveling with just carry on. Of course, I think having multi functional mobile devices has also eliminated a lot of the things I used to carry with me. What's the longest trips you guys have taken for pleasure where you did carry on only?
it has been 2 years ago went to sao paolo and then rio de janeiro and iguazzu falls with only hand carry

big luggage i kept in sao paolo hotel
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
GRU-AMS-FRA-MUC-HEL-NRT-SYD-AKL-ZQN-SYD-LAX

3 months, carry on only
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I've done 12 days with carry on only. See Beijing trip report below (shameful plug I know )
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
More than a few years ago, a 30 day trip that took us to Jordan, Egypt, Cyprus and Rome in February, with a last layover in YYZ in early March. Carry-on was necessary on the first part as we were hidden-city ticketing on the 1st leg to stage (infamous YYZ-LCA fare). Managed to keep our clothing needs informal for the whole trip, fortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.