Longest trip with just carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest trip with just carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Even before I switched (about 15 years ago) to carry-on only, I could never fathom what those people with 2-3 suitcases could possibly be bringing on trips with them. What the heck are they hauling in those bags?

Last edited by travelmad478; Jun 4, 2016 at 8:04 pm
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I do Asia 5-day trips with a 13-inch rolling tote.

I also do cheap day trips (not MRs) within the US with nothing at all with me, just my cellphone. Board in the morning, sightseeing on the ground for 8 hours, back home at night. $70 day trips with first class upgrades. They feed me twice, get my miles, do my sightseeing, and back home for under $100.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by nk15
I also do cheap day trips (not MRs) within the US with nothing at all with me, just my cellphone. Board in the morning, sightseeing on the ground for 8 hours, back home at night. $70 day trips with first class upgrades. They feed me twice, get my miles, do my sightseeing, and back home for under $100.
Can you give some examples of RT airfares for $70 on aircraft that have a first class cabin and meal service? Intriguing idea, but I can't imagine where I could get to that would be that cheap.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Can you give some examples of RT airfares for $70 on aircraft that have a first class cabin and meal service? Intriguing idea, but I can't imagine where I could get to that would be that cheap.
American, ORD-DFW on lie flat beds both ways (777/787)...

Similar prices to NYC, Florida, and even West Coast, all for $70-100. But it takes some searching. Booked at least 3-4 weeks out, upgrades always clear. And you need EXP for this, BAEC Gold won't work...

Here are the routes with the food, lol...
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...mium-cabin.jsp

Flying with completely nothing with you, very liberating.

PS. This party will probably be over when basic economy fares arrive soon...snif...

Last edited by nk15; Jun 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
December/January:
From Australia to: India, Central America and Canada

Had to carry winter clothing all over India and Central America, just for Canada. My country road tote bag ended up being 15kg, but luckily it never got weighed!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Even before I switched (about 15 years ago) to carry-on only, I could never fathom what those people with 2-3 suitcases could possibly be bringing on trips with them. What the heck are they hauling in those bags?
I travelled with my husband to Canada from Sydney. My baggage, 4 suitcases was 125 kilos on departure!!! I did have a ton of presents and food in my bags!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I travelled with my husband to Canada from Sydney. My baggage, 4 suitcases was 125 kilos on departure!!! I did have a ton of presents and food in my bags!
Wow! This is the other extreme.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:41 am

16288mi, Europe to HKG.

Didn't want any check-in agents looking at my itinerary, the fare was very cheap. Some would say too cheap
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Very difficult with an 8kg and one item limit. In fact, impossible for more than a couple of nights.
Getting much tougher these days. Data point: This year, I've had to check my carry on bag in twice intra-europe with LX and LH flying J, while my three flights with Ryanair and purchasing priority boarding 0...
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:46 am

And if US-based airlines impose carry-on weight limit, then it's game over. Surprised ULCCs haven't adopted this yet.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
38 days.
PDX-ORD-DFW-LHR-HAM / PRG-TXL-ORD-PDX , with a side trip to Budapest by train.

I suppose, technically, I did check my bike, though.

The rest (clothing, camera kit, laptop and various chargers and adapters) was in here (Brompton C-bag). I could pretty much do any length trip with this bag only, or possibly adding a personal-item. However, as it's just a messenger bag sealed with velcro and a couple of buckles, I only take it when I also take my bike.

This bag also contained a small rolled up daybag (Osprey Daylite 13L) for around town

The Osprey bag has been my sole bag for weeklong trips to Mexico, and is about to do a 10 day PTY run on its own. I'd rather have the new Daylite Plus (20L), though. It's larger than the original but retains the same features, and adds an external jacket-and-crap holder.

I did a 2 week Costa Rica / Nicaragua trip with an Osprey 22L Talon, but it was not much roomier than the Daylite, and had too many flimsy fiddly bits that came off. I returned it.

Caveat: Leisure travel. I carry nothing fancier than a long-sleeved button-down shirt. One pair of shoes, possibly two if I want flipflops or sandals.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
^
An entire summer in the Greek Islands.
Five T's,two shorts,one trunks,flip-flops,toothbrush,condoms and the gear I travelled in.
Too many T's.
I thought with all those condoms your luggage would of weighed 20 kilos!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who only take carry on could you tell us your dressing MO? Do you wear the whole outfit all day or do you change for dinner? Do you wear something multiple times without washing?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
For those who only take carry on could you tell us your dressing MO? Do you wear the whole outfit all day or do you change for dinner? Do you wear something multiple times without washing?
I usually check luggage and take enough with me, but on the crazy trip I described above, I just bought some cheap stuff at a mall in Singapore and did the laundry at hotels and various relatives' places around the world. For toiletries, I liberated the little mini bottles from the hotels.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Whether I need to change my type of outfit during a trip is the biggest factor in my choice whether to travel with carry-on only or check a larger bag. And usually that's more about dressing for different climates than dressing for business vs. casual engagements.

When I take a trip that's primarily business I'll pack one set of casual clothes to lounge around the hotel in or maybe going sightseeing on the weekend. This one set of casual clothes I may not wash every day because I'm only wearing them for a few hours at a time. When the trip is closer to 50/50 business/leisure I'll take a few outfits of each type with a focus towards items that can go both ways. For example, colored button-up shirts that look good with a sport coat or just with a pair of slacks. I've practiced doing this enough that it's no longer hard to go for a week with just a carry-on suitcase. And by doing laundry once per 5-7 days I can stretch it out to a few weeks.

Where need for wardrobe changes sends me to packing a larger bag is when I'm traveling through very different climates. For example, on one 10-day trip a few months ago I had 5 days on the beach in 90F weather and 5 days in a city with rain and temps around 50F. There was almost no overlap between the clothes I needed in each place, so I had to pack two complete sets. And I didn't care to do laundry twice on such a short trip, or re-wear clothes for 2 to 3 full days each before washing, so I packed 5 changes of each type in a larger bag and dealt with checking it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.