Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Packers?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by hebsan
Gotta bring back the dried foods, seasonings, etc.
Tasty

I bet you spend a lot of time at US CBP Agriculture inspection...
Old May 31, 2016, 5:23 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If there's a lot to pack, like for a long haul or taking bulky or awkward stuff with me, and it's an early start for the airport, I might consider packing the day before...

Although actually that's not quite true. If I know I'm travelling, I'll fold clothes when I iron them that week, and sort them into plastic bags as the trip's length requires, so I do have a headstart. Plus I already have a travel toilet bag (and sandwich bags) plus travel wallet ready.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Typical business trip is pre-packed (as before: packing cubes, extra toiletry bag only for travel etc) and finalized day before or same day if the flight goes late.
For holidays the check+plan maybe a week before and packing day before.

Not very often that I've unused items returned home - or excessive shopping at 'Boots'.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
So when asked "who packed your luggage" at the airport, do you lie or tell the truth?
I've never seen a check-in agent say anything when someone responded "my husband/wife" when asked that.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I plan a couple of weeks in advance and make a list but only pack the day before leaving. It doesn't take long as the stuff I take is pretty much the same each time and I have separate toiletries for travel. This is basically a compromise between the methods of my parents, dad starts packing about an hour before leaving, mum starts a week in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Items unique to the trip (likes gifts, etc) I will start setting out up to a month in advance as I gather them. The rest I do the night before. I always spread everything out on my bed and stack it in like piles so I can try to pack the least amount possible.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I've never seen a check-in agent say anything when someone responded "my husband/wife" when asked that.
I get funny looks when I say the butler did it
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I plan my packing the week of travel by making a list and then if anything needs to be added that's out of the ordinary I usually remember it ahead of time. The day before the trip I pack the items one by one which helps me assess space concerns and gives me a last chance to think "do I really need this?"
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by CMK10
I plan my packing the week of travel by making a list and then if anything needs to be added that's out of the ordinary I usually remember it ahead of time. The day before the trip I pack the items one by one which helps me assess space concerns and gives me a last chance to think "do I really need this?"
I have to say, "Do I really need this?" is the most important question I ask myself when packing for a trip. I can mix and match and do without the extra pair of shoes, and I can certainly wear the same make-up colors for a month (this last is probably not much of an issue for the gentlemen), but there is nothing worse than lugging around a heavy suitcase on and off trains, around train stations, and through airports and the lobbies of airport hotels late at night.

Plan carefully: make a list early, make sure everything is dry-cleaned and laundered, nothing is missing buttons, zippers are in good repair. Pack judiciously, making sure everything is useful and will work with everything else. And see if there is anything you can remove before you zip that suitcase up.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:14 pm

I've very well organised with my packing but i have it down pat so it doesn't take too long and i do have a lot of 'travel only' stuff which even though i could use it around the house, i don't
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:51 am

I'd usually pack just before the trip and never earlier than the night before. It's not that I do it carelessly though, I took some time to develop my routine, and now just repeat it. I have some things pre-packed (toiletry bag, stuff I use mid-flight, etc.) but don't use packing lists or spreadsheets.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by travelfriend
How many really put a lot of thought into packing? I notice people just dumping everything but the kitchen sink into carry on ending up in plane side check in. Wouldn't it be better to check in and carry the right things by planning and packing your bag a day ahead?
I am one of those "pack and pray" type guys mainly for the fact I had my luggage lost about 10000 times so I'd risk just having a carry on then losing all my stuff.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by PuraVidaGuy311
I am one of those "pack and pray" type guys mainly for the fact I had my luggage lost about 10000 times so I'd risk just having a carry on then losing all my stuff.
Pack and pray! Lol
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I can pack for almost any trip in about 15 minutes. I'm never quite sure why this is such a hot travel topic in so many forums, books, magazines, blogs, etc.

I rarely make a mistake packing for a typical leisure or business trip via air. I don't have a problem with under- or over-packing. I do most trips in a carry-on only, but if I have to check a bag for whatever reason, it doesn't really change my approach.

The exception for me is camping trips. I prep for those a little differently, use a checklist to minimize the chance of a mistake, and try to mostly load the van the night before. That can take a couple hours, especially if grilling/barbecue or sports equipment is also involved.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: DL Silver
I'm a late pack downright last minute packer. I was moving to Japan and I started packing the night before. Of course I fell asleep and my sister finished my packing for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.