Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you been Victimized by credit or debit card skimming? How to prevent it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you been Victimized by credit or debit card skimming? How to prevent it?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by WorldLux
It's simply a question of expected criminal profit. Would you go through the troubles of such criminal endeavors for little or no credit card informations? Doing those scams, where credit cards are broadly used, ensures that the criminal makes lots of money.
Exactly. The richest countries offer the richest pickings. I have used cards all over the world and only ever had a problem in the western world.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Genuine question: could this have anything to do with it? I am not a big fan of Apple Pay, using my watch to pay, etc. Maybe that's more secure than actually swiping/dipping my card.
yeah. I'm careful around ATMs now. This was a bank ATM but the guy hovering around probably just had some mickey mouse camera that I didn't see. I block my info when I put in my code, don't know how he did it.

They can install skimmers when they "service" the ATMs and this will become a bigger and bigger problem.

Don't know how I could have prevented the last one. And I try to use the Apple Watch but most vendors don't accept it.

Even the chip terminals here in the US don't usually work and you need to swipe.

The gas stations ask for zip code which is how Amex discovered my card had been skimmed. Good thing.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:27 pm

Theoretically, at least, ApplePay should be significantly more secure than a traditional transaction. It generates a unique card number for every transaction, so even if someone intercepts those details, they won't be able to re-use them.

As to the larger question, my primary strategy is to never EVER use an ATM or debit card unless it's my only option. I try to use the ATM card to get cash at a machine inside a bank branch if I need it. Everything else goes on a credit card. If someone compromises my card, I don't want to give them access to pull money directly out of my bank account. Even if I'm made whole at the end of the day, I'm out that money while the dispute is processed. With a credit card, there's more buffer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.