Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where to go on adventure while pregnant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller here.

My new husband and I returned from our honeymoon and are already experiencing serious adventure withdrawal. We went to the Dem. Rep. of Congo and Kenya for a few weeks and it was amazing. In order to get ourselves through the next year of working and plan ahead for miles/award travel, we are thinking about where to go next Feb/March 2017 for approx. 1.5-2 weeks. However, we are anticipating that I will be pregnant at that time, so that throws a wrench in our normally more adventurous travel planning.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a more exotic/adventurous destination to visit while pregnant? To give you an idea of what we like, we backpacked around South America last year for 2 months (sort of backpacking -- we didn't stay in hostels but did camp and trek a lot) and obviously recently visited gorillas, hiked a volcano, and went on safari in Africa. We have thought about some basic qualifications:

1) Can't be somewhere where malaria and zika are problems -- so sadly Central/South America and parts of Asia are out
2) There should be access to decent medical care if necessary
3) Has to be in early 2017 (Jan - March) for 1.5 - 2 weeks

Essentially we want to go somewhere new, fun, and exciting that we won't be able bring children to once they arrive, but that would be safe enough to visit while pregnant. We want to maximize our last bit of independence Does this place exist?

Our current wish list includes New Zealand (but feel that we can do this with children and we may want to spend more time there than 1-2 weeks, perhaps by road trip) and Japan (to include skiing, but I won't be able to ski if pregnant -- and we can do this with children).

Thank you for reading and for all your help!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Oh, and we are based in the US and would like to travel internationally
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Australia? I'm thinking Ayer's Rock, Great Barrier Reef, Darwin, etc., not (just) major cities. It will be early fall there.

I was going to say Puerto Rico, including the famous telescope, but avoid the rum tasting, and Cuba (supposed to have good medical care), but these are in the Zika zone.

The malaria issue eliminates African safaris, which would be the obvious adventure part of South Africa, where there's also good medical care.

Japan and Korea have temples, shrines, etc. that involve steep hills and lots of steps, so they're places that wouldn't work well with young children. The same is true for Hong Kong.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:06 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk! Much of your decision will depend on how far along in your pregnancy you will be when traveling and how you're feeling. Admittedly, as a male, I have never been pregnant, however I happen to be married to someone who has become well acquainted with the pregnancy process. The following are what we've learned with her being half-way into her third pregnancy.

Long-haul flights after about 4 or 5 months almost necessitate a premium cabin seat, just because of how uncomfortable you can get. For that reason we've stuck to North America during the pregnancy, also because we just didn't want to be too far away if something went wrong.

The second trimester is the easiest for traveling just because you're not huge yet but you're over the morning sickness. We were able to go backpacking during each of her pregnancies in Yellowstone and the Tetons. Obviously that would have been more difficult later on. I wouldn't rule out all of Central America because of Zika, just be very cautious of where you're going . We'll be going to Mexico City when she is 5 months pregnant because we found that the Aedes Aegypti mosquito can't survive at the elevations of Mexico City. We've also done trips to British Columbia at 7.5 months pregnant and will be going to Alaska at 6 months this summer.

Good for you for not allowing pregnancy to be some sort of disability like many people make it out to be. MSPeconomist has some excellent ideas, especially Australia, that I would second if you could travel earlier in the pregnancy or get a premium cabin seat if flying later into the pregnancy. If I were you I would do Australia, New Zealand, or Mexico (in the higher elevations).
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Backyard?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

South Africa and its game parks.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
New Zealand is a beautiful country, with the most wonderful people. I have never seen such happy people anywhere. But you are right, when you go to New Zealand allow at least four weeks.

February/March is tough. I was going to recommend Paris but I think Southern Italy may be better weatherwize.

Australia is fantastic but it's somewhere you would want to spend more time. We spent eight weeks in 2013 and it wasn't enough. Going back in 2017.

How much of the US have you traveled. There are a lot of places in our own country that are certainly worthy of a visit.

Have you considered a cruise?

Last edited by Jeannietx; Mar 10, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
When we were expecting our first the DW and I went to the Netherlands. One on my fondest memories is sitting on the back porch of a canal side cottage, watching the ducks play, looking at my wife take her afternoon nap while reading a book.

Trips around the area were easy and the terrain was not too taxing on her 6 month pregnant body.

Not as exciting as what you are looking for, but still a special trip.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
India by train?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some time ago, I booked a visit to Japan. Ended up taking the trip whilst pregnant. Thankfully, it turned out to coincide with one all too brief window during the pregnancy when the relentless hyperemesis gravidarum was just regular morning sickness. I say morning sickness, but jet lag ensured that I was vomiting at 4:30pm (7:30am in London) every day.

I still have glorious memories of walking my bump through the Sakura, and the climate was still relatively cool (my thermostat changed whilst I had my passenger, found it much harder to deal with warmer temperatures). And boy, did I eat, food had never tasted so good (and I followed advice given in Japan, and ignored the list of "foods to avoid" given to British mothers, thank goodness!).

I recommend Japan, hygiene standards are marvellous and there are free to use public toilets everywhere, even up in the mountains.

Not sure if I made myself clear enough on that last point - THERE ARE PUBLIC TOILETS EVERYWHERE!

Hope your pregnancy is at least 90% more agreeable than mine was.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

The answer to your question involves knowledge of your risk tolerance. This is your first pregnancy. Not all pregnancies go well. You will not know how you and your little one will adapt? Do you really want to be far away from first-world medical care if needed? Good luck with your decision.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: AA
You do not provide some important information such as whether yours is a high risk pregnancy, how far along you will be in your pregnancy, etc. but, as a general rule, if you are really talking about adventure travel, are you familiar with the aphorism "This is not the time"?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And so it begins...

One of the worst parts of being pregnant is dealing with a steady stream of folks who somehow get off on adminstering their noxious cocktails of fear and control.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would plan to be flexible (think refundable travel bookings!) - I don't think pregnancy is a disability, but I know one friend who developed severely low blood pressure during pregnancy, another who had parts of her pelvis separate, and one who was confined to bed rest for the last 4 months of her pregnancy - all were perfectly healthy going in to pregnancy. Most friends have been utterly fine, with many of them carrying on as normal throughout (which includes a doctor friend who skied at 7 months pregnant - her biggest issue was finding ski pants that would fit, and another friend who was out riding her horses the weekend before she gave birth).

In terms of destinations, a long flight while heavily pregnant (or even early in the pregnancy if you are hit with morning sickness) sounds like my idea of hell, so I would look at what is available more short-haul than, say northern Europe (Iceland, Scandinavia) Great healthcare, no zika or malaria, and very interesting places. You can also plan more adventurous activities, or more sedate, depending on how you are feeling (as in you are not having to commit to 2 weeks of hiking or anything, you can chop and change to suit your moods).
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
And so it begins...

One of the worst parts of being pregnant is dealing with a steady stream of folks who somehow get off on adminstering their noxious cocktails of fear and control.
Haha LapLap, I'm sure I won't appreciate the full weight of this statement until I'm actually pregnant

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I agree that my information is lacking since I have no idea what pregnancy will bring. But I'm young-ish and healthy so am hoping for the best.

I will say that I am not the adventurous one, but I love my husband because he brings me out of my comfort zone to experience amazing things. Like when we were in DRC, it was a bit intense for me while we were there but I am so glad we went and that was by far the most memorable part of our honeymoon. I am a bit worried that pregnancy will only exacerbate any uncomfortable feelings I normally get from intense experiences (both physically and mentally), so...things to think about.

India by train sounds interesting. So does Australia. Japan certainly keeps calling, and then I wonder about more romantic/non-kid friendly places like Bora Bora. Or maybe we'd get too bored. We generally try to see as much as possible when we're traveling so far and like to throw in active things like hiking, kayaking, etc. We spent about 12 days on various conservancies in Kenya and by the end we were stir crazy from sitting in a car so much.

I completely agree about premium cabin travel (even when not pregnant ha) -- we traveled business class on Qatar and it was the most amazing plane experience that 16 hours flew by. I think I will just be sad I won't be able to enjoy all the good wine next time.

We do travel around the US quite a bit, but I think because we rarely are able to take a week or more off at a time we feel that we must go somewhere more far-flung. We usually reserve domestic travel for long weekends.

I really appreciate all the ideas, particularly those involving personal experience. It is helpful to get a full, realistic picture (negative or positive) of what traveling while pregnant is really like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.