Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do's and Don'ts of reviewing a hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Third, don't blame hotels for things they can't control like a cheesy strip shopping center across the street.
I agree with newyorkgeorge, but it seems a fairly subtle point. I wouldn't blame the hotel for negative factors outside their control, but I also wouldn't ignore negative factors which matter for booking decisions.

I guess it would suck (for the hotel and their clients) if a cheesy strip mall were across the way, but it certainly isn't the hotel's fault.

Great discussion by the way! Only wish that most review forums had a way to upvote/downvote reviewers by how useful their review were. (Ahem Yelp, etc).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush

I guess it would suck (for the hotel and their clients) if a cheesy strip mall were across the way, but it certainly isn't the hotel's fault.
It very well might. Poor site selection (if the cheesy strip mall were there before the hotel opened) would be the hotel's fault.

Great discussion by the way!
I concur.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
It very well might. Poor site selection (if the cheesy strip mall were there before the hotel opened) would be the hotel's fault.
Great point! Guess it matters which came first, the chicken nugget stand or the hotel.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Why is there so much hate for strip malls in this thread? When I'm staying at a hotel, I like to be able to walk to a supermarket/pharmacy and a couple of casual restaurants or cafes that you normally find in strip malls.

To those of you who dislike this, what do you prefer to find in the vicinity of your hotel?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:54 pm

Parks
Strip clubs
Malls

(couldn't resist)
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:34 am

Avoid the word 'nice' at all costs. It is meaningless in the context of room, restaurant, staff and location. Spend the time to explain why that feature pleased you.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:54 pm

Great post. Whilst the neighbourhood is not under the hotels control, I wan't to know about it. Equally if there is excessive noise in the room from within or without I wan't to know about it. However, I also want to know the specifics of what is under the hotels control as I, like many, have my own list of priorities so need to match reality (not rhetoric) with my personal needs.
Old May 8, 2016, 2:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For me, one of the DOs is what's around the hotel? Restaurants? Bars? How is the neighborhood? Also, is this hotel easy to drive to or get to on public transit? Information like that can be really helpful.
Old May 8, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Report the facts to the best of your ability but avoid hyperbolie and consider your intended audience.

For example, parking rates at a center city hotel are bound to be high; report the actual cost and avoid terms like ripoff or scam Let the reader make their own value judgment.

Report if something expected is missing, such as an airport hotel that lacks a shuttle.

As for strip malls, some cities have a culture of very good restaurants in strip malls - take Trois Mec in Los Angeles for example.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; May 9, 2016 at 2:15 am
Old May 9, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I stay at a lovely boutique hotel in Antigua every year.

It's not on the beach (but they run a virtually on demand shuttle to many nearby beaches), the rooms are built in blocks of 4 up the side of a fairly steep hill, with another shuttle to take guests up and down as often as needed, it's not really suitable for the mobility impaired despite the shuttle service and the pools are rather small. All of these points are clear from a quick perusal of the hotel website, from the description in holiday brochures and from online reviews.

Why then, do people book the place then put in negative reviews about something that was not hidden from them when they made their booking?

Just write the truth but don't complain about something which is made abundantly clear to you before you book. If you want a beachside resort with rooms in blocks with lifts to all floors - book one of them.....
Old May 9, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If you want to do a good job, check out some professionally written reviews and ape their style and presentation. Do not check out TripAdvisor as the reviews there generally are not worth the paper they're (not) written on.
Good thing I spent all that time writing thoughtful reviews on TripAdvisor then.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by KEnsor
I'm in the process of writing a review on The Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam. I want to make sure it's done right. What are the Do's and Don'ts of reviewing a hotel? when taking pictures in public places do you make sure no other guest and employees are in the picture? Do you need hotel permission to post detailed pictures of the room and the public areas? I'm new to this and want to make sure I don't cross any boundaries.
Watch your reflection in the mirrors!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by kop84
I would also steer clear of complaining about things that are completely outside of the hotels control.

While looking into a hotel in Cabo a few years ago, a few people left negative reviews because it was unseasonably cold and they were unable to make full use of the outdoor pools and the swim up bars, as if the property was really happy about a week of 40 degree temps!
On the other hand, what would be useful would be understanding what inclement-weather alternatives are available.

For example, I visited a resort in Austin a few years ago that was lauded by reviewers for all of the amazing activities offered. And if the weather had cooperated, I would have had a great time. But I had the bad luck of visiting during a week of unseasonably cold weather and drenching downpours so most of the activities were canceled. Not at all the resort's fault. But I would have appreciated knowing that there were really no warm, dry, indoor places to hang out other than the guest rooms. That way, I could have decided for myself how much of a gamble I wanted to take.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton/Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
I hate that. amateur hour
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:01 pm

Don't add unnecessary information - We stayed here as we had a family reunion nearby.

Don't - Make an obscure complaint that is unlikely to be repeated. - My husband had his shoes ruined getting splashed by the Tour de France racers outside and they wouldn't let us walk barefoot in the lobby.

Don't - Make a review about things where you cannot add any meaningful insight. - I don't eat pizza much but it looked really tasty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.