Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do the days leading up to a vacation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do the days leading up to a vacation?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Last minute details...did I call the bank/cc company and let them know I will be abroad so they don't freeze the card? Did I photocopy my passport? Things like that. I will also organize my itinerary paperwork into a folder that I bring along etc etc. I will also check the weather here, there and inbetween.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA
Get projects finished at work, make sure my clothes are washed, take a shower and a dump before leaving for the airport.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:48 pm

In the prior three days before a trip, I make a list of everything I'll need.

For example I decide how many white shirts I need, how many blue, which color polo shirts I need. I envision every day and plan what I'll need. I then decide what I'll do each day (for example, if I am going to the Toronto zoo, I list out the casual clothing needed).

I also list things like:
-Dressing gown (I have a lightweight gown from Japan. Kind of a kimono)
-Soap
-Razor, toothbrush, shaving cream, etc
-Laptop
-Chargers for electronics

Then about 48 hours before I leave, I wash all these items or rotate them from storage. I put my summer clothing away in season, and bring out my winter clothing, etc.

24 hours prior, I gather all these items, review my list. Depending on where I'm going, I pick out my luggage and decide what can be reused or washed and how I can get by with less. For example, instead of bringing three white shirts, I might bring a white polo and a white dress shirt. The list gets revised as I get closer to the date.

Finally the night before, I fold, roll or vacuum seal and pack. If I find that I don't have something I thought I had, I find an alternative.

I will generally pick out a set of clothing for travel in advance so I don't find myself looking for my gear on site. If it's a chilly or winter environment, I generally pick out different clothing than if I'm going to Montreal in the summertime.

As for what else I do? Ask the neighbors to take my newspapers, etc. Make arrangements for the pets, and lock the doors and give a key to a trusted friend.

Finally, I make sure to check my list once more and decide what can be purchased at the destination. Why tote a big bottle of shampoo or laundry soap when you can buy it at a supermarket on landing.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
I'm always packing and getting organized either the night before or morning of. You can't beat the rush of throwing clothes in a bag and running off to the airport! Best feeling in the world!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:05 pm

If going to a country where I am not confident of ATMs upon landing, get the foreign currency before departure.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:06 pm

Prepare my snobbish outfit for wear on the flight if going J/F.

Prepare my hoboish outfit if going Y.

Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Before the trip:
* Plan my day-to-day itinerary
* Download trip related emails into my iPad/iPhone
* Check the weather forecast for my destination, then pack clothes based on the forecast
* Pack electronics (chargers, camera, noise cancelling headphones, etc)
* Pack toiletries into my TSA compliant liquid bag
* Set light timer
* Do laundry, take out trash, vacuum (so I return from my trip to a clean house)
* check in online for my flights

For international trips:
* Contact bank to send cash in the country's currency
* Find my passport
* Put international travel notices on my credit cards
* Find plug adapters
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:57 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
A lot of honest answers... I was hoping for more entertaining answers like "checking to see if my ex girlfriends still follow me on Instagram."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.