Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by KBRDU
I just want to not think too hard about what I wear on the plane, so it's black leggings, comfortable black sneakers/trainers, long tunic, light black jacket with inner pockets, scarf. Good for every class, lounges, red-eyes, waiting at the gate, last minute upgrades, and working right off the plane. I change my personal item more often than my flying attire. If I'm off to somewhere like Jamaica I might leave off the scarf and carry shorts to change into at MBJ.
I will also start wearing tights on the plane. LOL

(it won't be pretty)
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by AStarr
Mmm yes... hygiene. I'm one of those "must have a shower immediately before getting on the plane" types these days... or at the very least, I carry deodorant wipes. Perfume is overkill and the refreshing wipes airlines often stock are just not enough. And clean clothing is a must. I cannot stand to be seated near people who obviously haven't bathed in the last few days. In some cases, top notch hygiene can override casual dress... and being well dressed does not forgive poor hygiene. Just because someone slapped on a tie doesn't make up for not brushing their teeth.
Hygiene is a different matter. Being malodorous and giving olfactory offense to adjacent passengers is quite different than violating the sartorial requirements of easily-offended fashion mavens.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Hygiene is a different matter. Being malodorous and giving olfactory offense to adjacent passengers is quite different than violating the sartorial requirements of easily-offended fashion mavens.
Some people can't help it. But now we've found something that bothers you, so we should do something about it.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying in premium cabin tomorrow, and I actually paid for it.

Nope, not dressing up.
jinglish and thebigben like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by MaxBuck

Nope, not dressing up.
I'm sorry. That's not acceptable.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by zitsky
Some people can't help it.
I'm curious: Are you saying body odor is a medical condition that has no effective treatment?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by MaxBuck

Nope, not dressing up.
Those kind of things are always better enjoyed if you're comfortable... so, enjoy yourself!
muji and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm curious: Are you saying body odor is a medical condition that has no effective treatment?
I'm not saying all, but yes some BO is a medical condition. Same for bad breath.

Google "medical body odor"

Last edited by zitsky; Oct 25, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I'm not saying all, but yes some BO is a medical condition. Same for bad breath.

Google "medical body odor"
Clearly there are options for people to manage their BO, so next time someone close to you on an airplane complains that they have treatment-resistant Bromhidrosis (body odor), you might refer them to this 2018 Medscape article:

Bromhidrosis Treatment & Management

An excerpt from a comprehensive review of treatment options:

"Hygiene and topical antibacterial agents

Conservative measures, which aim to reduce bacterial florae and maintain a dry environment, include improved hygiene and topical therapy. Hygienic measures, such as adequate washing of the axillary vault, prompt removal of sweaty clothing, and the use of topical deodorant (which covers the odor and decreases bacterial counts) are beneficial in cases of apocrine bromhidrosis. Regular shaving of axillary hair prevents the accumulation of sweat and bacteria on the hair shafts. Electrolysis might also be considered for hair removal to minimize bacterial growth.

Use of topical antibiotics, such as clindamycin, erythromycin, and benzoyl peroxide, as well as antiseptic soaps, may yield clinical benefit by limiting the growth of the contributory bacteria that decompose apocrine secretions, liberating fatty acids that have peculiar smells. Topical antibiotics, such as clindamycin and erythromycin, should only be used when other antiseptics are ineffective, because they are associated with a greater risk of bacterial resistance. Treatment of coexisting skin conditions, such as intertrigo, erythrasma, and trichomycosis axillaris, is important.

Drying agents

Measures to enhance drying and limit maceration, such as the use of antiperspirants including aluminum chloride, may improve bromhidrosis of either apocrine or eccrine origin, particularly if hyperhidrosis is a contributing factor. Antiperspirants, unlike deodorants, contain aluminum salts, which inhibit sweat production."
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
What minimum standards and who is setting them? I don't recall seeing an airline setting minimum standards to ride up front nor have I read a generally accepted consensus among F and J passengers. But if you need fancy pants to bolster your ego I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I judge people all the time but never on something as entirely insignificant as how they dress in the forward cabin of public transit.

There most certainly is a minimum standard for acceptable attire in public.

And it has more to do with respect than it does ego. The way one dresses tells a lot about their character.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by kb9522
There most certainly is a minimum standard for acceptable attire in public.

And it has more to do with respect than it does ego. The way one dresses tells a lot about their character.

The airlines set the "minimum standard" on their planes and evidently it is met by having ones dangling bits covered, flip-flops and a sleeveless t-shirt.

How much "respect" is owed to complete strangers on public transit? What sacrifices to comfort should be made out of fear the fashion police will deliver an unfavorable ruling on one's "character?"
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
The airlines set the "minimum standard" on their planes and evidently it is met by having ones dangling bits covered, flip-flops and a sleeveless t-shirt.

How much "respect" is owed to complete strangers on public transit? What sacrifices to comfort should be made out of fear the fashion police will deliver an unfavorable ruling on one's "character?"
Only as much as you think is due to others, which is apparently none at all if you think just covering genitalia and flip flops is appropriate.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I like dressing up for my flights, I always wear a shirt and jacket in J or F, sometimes a suit. Now the major reason being that I do this out of respect to me fellow passengers, but also as respect to the FAs. Furthermore I actually like wearing a suit and shirt and I am actually comftable in it. But then again, I always wear at least a shirt when not travelling as well. Do I look down on people that do not wear a suit automatically? No, why would I? Most people I see in J or F wear nice trousers and a shirt, I'd classify as smart to business casual. Nothing wrong with that, I mean it does look nice. Dressing nice and being comftable are actually both possible!

One does not have to put much effort in to look halfway acceptable and wear some nice clothes that can also be comftable. As long as you look neat, act nice and have proper hygiene all is well. What I do have a small issue with is people who just let themselves go with no respect to their surroundings, often lacking hygiene, seemingly having not yet been informed about the concept of showers and deodorant (or not caring about them), while also wearing slugish clothes, that haven't been washed once. It's just not nice to look at or spend 12 hours next to.

Our subconciousness automatically judges everybody. And clothes are just a main part of that process,that indicate the above. (Dressing badly is not equal to dressing comftably.)
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:45 am

For those people who don't care how they dress on planes, is there any clothing you find unacceptable?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I like dressing up for my flights, I always wear a shirt and jacket in J or F, sometimes a suit. Now the major reason being that I do this out of respect to me fellow passengers, but also as respect to the FAs. Furthermore I actually like wearing a suit and shirt and I am actually comftable in it. But then again, I always wear at least a shirt when not travelling as well. Do I look down on people that do not wear a suit automatically? No, why would I? Most people I see in J or F wear nice trousers and a shirt, I'd classify as smart to business casual. Nothing wrong with that, I mean it does look nice. Dressing nice and being comftable are actually both possible!

Our subconciousness automatically judges everybody. And clothes are just a main part of that process,that indicate the above. (Dressing badly is not equal to dressing comftably.)
Why in the world would I carry a suit for a vacation..... I barely manage to bring pants.....

Most people you see in J/F wear business casual... well duh.. most people in J/F are flying for work.... Nothing to do with "respect".

For those people who don't care how they dress on planes, is there any clothing you find unacceptable?
Aside from exposed dangly bits?

Anything that would impede an evacuation would bother me.
Artpen100 and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.