Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do most hotels do when guests have urinated in the pools?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At most city or club pools I've swum in, a fecal event is about a 1 hour closure. They shock the water with chemicals and do periodic tests until the chemical levels come back to normal ranges.

Urine? There is no such thing as a urine event, because that's happening nonstop. If I look at a pool and see 50 people in it, somebody's probably peeing. Right then.

You just hope no one is dropping a deuce. That's a problem.

For myself, I draw the line at lakes. I won't pee in a pool, but I will pee in a lake. Hey, the fish started it. If you have a problem with it, talk to them.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by weltfrieden

I was at a friend's house earlier this afternoon. He was telling me
that he had to drain the entire pool after another friend's baby
peed in the pool last summer. He had to order three tanker trucks
to carry in the fresh pool water.
He ordered "fresh pool water"? The fact he drained the pool for baby bee is weird on its own. But then instead of turning on the hose to fill the pool back up, he ordered pool water? I have to meet this guy. And maybe sell him a time share or two.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
He ordered "fresh pool water"? The fact he drained the pool for baby bee is weird on its own. But then instead of turning on the hose to fill the pool back up, he ordered pool water? I have to meet this guy. And maybe sell him a time share or two.
Depending on where you're at, it can be far more economical to have water delivered by a truck than to use the water from your hose. Plus of course it would take quite some time to fill a pool from a hose. Obviously this is going to depend on the size of the pool. But I'd guess for most inground pools, people are more likely to have water delivered.

(In my area, unless you have a separate meter for irrigation, your water usage is also used to compute the sewer bill. So if you don't have that separate meter, you'd end up getting hit with a pretty sizable sewer bill. (I honestly can't remember if it's legal in this area to use an irrigation-meter line to fill a pool.))
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have a few friends who have inground pools and I don't know anyone who's ever had water trucked in.

They drain in the fall, fill in the spring, and when they fill they do it from their regular supply and it takes a while. I've seen my neighbor do it...overnight and then some.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
Nothing. People pee in the pool. Virtually all pools. Virtually every day.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Seriously? Drained his pool because an infant peed in it? That's a whole new level of germaphobe.

It reminds me of an old joke:

Swim Coach: "Jensen, stop peeing in the pool!"

Jensen: "C'mon coach everybody pees in the pool."

Swim Coach: "Yeah, but not from the diving board."
This reminded me of a few years back in Florida when I heard a kid yell "Mommy I'm taking a wee!" There were no kids in the pool so my wife and I looked around to see a kid behind us in the bushes.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I have a few friends who have inground pools and I don't know anyone who's ever had water trucked in.

They drain in the fall, fill in the spring, and when they fill they do it from their regular supply and it takes a while. I've seen my neighbor do it...overnight and then some.
Here anyone who is on well water for their home supply brings in bowsers to fill their pool - that means pretty much everyone who does not live in the city.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
This thread reminds me of that scene from Grown Ups 2....

Also, according to snopes.com...

as one old-time Boston-area poolman put it, "If such [urine-indicating] chemicals did exist, every municipal pool in Boston would be bright purple."
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by piper28
Depending on where you're at, it can be far more economical to have water delivered by a truck than to use the water from your hose. Plus of course it would take quite some time to fill a pool from a hose. Obviously this is going to depend on the size of the pool. But I'd guess for most inground pools, people are more likely to have water delivered.

(In my area, unless you have a separate meter for irrigation, your water usage is also used to compute the sewer bill. So if you don't have that separate meter, you'd end up getting hit with a pretty sizable sewer bill. (I honestly can't remember if it's legal in this area to use an irrigation-meter line to fill a pool.))
My experience with two pools over 25 years is that it takes about a day to fill a typical home size in ground pool with a hose. In my area, the water utility will waive sewage charges for pool fills and refills with the proper signed paperwork. It is against the utility rules to use the irrigation line metered water for filling pools or any other use other than feeding the built-in irrigation system. You can't even use a hose and portable sprinkler from the irrigation line.

I'm sure that in some areas it makes sense to tanker in water for a pool, but there are a LOT of pools in my part of the country and I've never heard of anybody here using anything but a garden hose to fill a pool. For people with wells, they often do need to treat for iron and other metals, for utility water, nothing other than normal balancing.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
My experience as a pool owner was in FL. Had an in-ground pool built and it was filled via a hose connected to the spigot on the house.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Nothing. People pee in the pool. Virtually all pools. Virtually every day.
Exactly: nothing at all. For two reasons:

1. They don't know, though they can assume that the quoted post is more or less correct.

2. It doesn't hurt.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Madone59
This reminded me of a few years back in Florida when I heard a kid yell "Mommy I'm taking a wee!" There were no kids in the pool so my wife and I looked around to see a kid behind us in the bushes.
I was out with young niece at McDonalds in the "Ball Room". A voice screams out loudly..."Auntie Annalisa I just peed". Oh, a touch embarassing. I bet McDonalds didn't clean all the balls.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by pinniped

I've got an inground pool. It's never been fully drained. In fact, when they install it they put about a quarter of water in the bottom as they need it for the weight and the pressure on the sides. I've been advised to not keep it empty.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
This thread reminds me of that scene from Grown Ups 2....

Also, according to snopes.com...
I'm more reminded of the scene from Caddyshack....

Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Actually I'm snickering at anybody being stupid enough to drain a pool over baby pee.
What about a reservoir?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ation/7814581/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.