Fear to fly - help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fear to fly - help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Executive club Gold
As this has been added to a longer thread I thought I would pick up on some of the tips left above by others.

When we first started flying my children were small I was a very nervous flyer, it was new to me and I had 2 toddlers to deal with on top of that, we went straight for a nice long haul to the other side of Canada, so just under 10 hours in economy. I used Valium on that flight, taking it half an hour before boarding, it kicked in just before take off and was brilliant. I never took it again but took as much control of the situation possible.

Count the chair backs between my seat and the nearest exits in front and behind.

Always flat shoes, if I have heels on I carry a pair of flats to put on for take off and landing so I don’t worry about having to remove heels in an emergency situation or have to try and remove myself and family from a flight barefoot with luggage potentially on the floor.

Pick seating as early as possible and with the most space as possible, flying as a family of 4 we started taking the 4 middle seats, then I learnt the best place was 2 sets of 2 at the back of the plane, there’s often slightly more space due to the curve of the plane plus I could stand and move around in the gallery or toilet area as often as I wanted without disturbing others.

I would have the last set of seats in the 2 so my husband was in front, my current anxiety was triggered on a short haul business flight where the lady in front of me used recline as war fare after I knocked her seat back getting into my seat and my tray locked back up with a click. Someone reclining really makes me feel hemmed in so my husband protected me from that. If travelling just the two of us short haul we book the front seats where possible.

I tell the Fa if I’m anxious, as I said above I have never actually had a panic attack on a plane but most flights if I’m feeling anxious I let them know. Most times they are brilliant and assure me I can pop up to them for a chat during quiet times. They also check on me every so often.

For long haul I always change into less restrictive clothing, no matter what class I’m in or time of the flight. Being comfortable and not feeling hot, restricted and flustered makes every class more bearable. If not in first I take warm socks, yoga leggings and an over size tee shirt, plus a throw or blanket. This also helps me get a cosy mindset, comfy clothes, blanket and a film with a glass of wine, what’s not to like.

Arrive a little early to the airport, work out gate timings then pay for lounge access if you don’t have it. It’s calmer.

Upgrade, even on short haul that extra little space is precious! Long haul is so much better with legroom and less people in the cabin. This isn’t possible for everyone but if it’s in your means try it once, you might find it makes all the difference.

I appreciate I look a little strange, answering my own question however all these things mean I do get on flights and have no issues on them and my recent pre flight anxiety is odd, hopefully some of the things I do will help someone in a similar position. I’m hoping the hypnosis app suggested above will replace the security blanket carrying Valium gave me previously now I am too anxious about side effects.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Honie
I would be really grateful to hear anyone who has had the same sudden fear?
Reread the first dozen posts in this thread. There's some good advice there. Then consider visiting a psychiatrist to help you better understand your fear. Phobia is by definition not rational. Thus what works for an ordinary person, or even another person with a similar phobia, may not work for you. A qualified professional can help you identify what will work for you. Best wishes on many happy journeys.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by Honie
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same. Whilst we don't fly for business we cover around 10 long hauls and 6 short hauls most years, flying in business or first depending on availability. (My husband is an air miles master, totally obsessed but I am not complaining)

Since last summer I have decided flying terrifies me, not the actual flying but being closed in and out of control. I think my biggest fear is having a panic attack on the flight and trying to escape (I'm so never going to do this but rational thought isn't coming into this for me). I have done returns to Italy, Canada (Toronto) Miami non direct, Thailand direct and a short haul return across Thailand from the UK since this occurred and I have been completely fine on all flights, a few drinks in the lounge, pre take off and with dinner plus lovely crew and a supportive husband, no problems. The days before flying involve tears, anxiety and general melt downs, no panic attacks. The night before flying we open a good red and have take away and this calms me.

I'm too scared to take a valium although I do carry them just incase, as the small possibility of side effects occurring on the flight (erratic behaviour for one!) add to my anxiety. I also carry a paper bag, iPad with games that distract, music and films. I have never been able to settle into a book on a flight despite loving reading. I do have a few drinks but never get drunk, this seems to help.

Has anyone suffered this and did it pass? We used to hop on flights all over the world and I didn't give it a second thought. What techniques do people use, are there any websites you can recommend at all? Am I just totally weird? Do the crew mind when I tell them I am anxious?

I would be really grateful to hear anyone who has had the same sudden fear?

My other half travels with Valium. He can take it and NOT fall asleep. (I'd be out for a couple of days.)

But that doesn't mean I am 100% comfy while flying. For me, I break things up into manageable segments. Boarding. Check. First drink service. Check. Food. (If applicable) Check. Clean up of trash. Check. Tray tables up for landing. Check.

We all have different ways of coping with stress. You'll find what works best for you. And with enough practice, you will find it.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:45 pm

OP -

You are not alone. I hate take offs and landings but otherwise I'm OK.

Since this started when you had children, I suggest buying lots of term life insurance so you know the family will be OK if something happens. Also make certain your Will, other legal documents, and financial instruments are in place so your kids are taken care of by the people you and your spouse have chosen.

A friend has huge anxiety with flying which he needs to do for work a few times a year. Visiting a psychiatrist and getting tranquilizers for plane trips made all the difference.

A tip anyone with anxiety can use is square breathing.

In a fear state, most people stop breathing or breathe shallowly. This is an animal response to make us quiet and still. Deep breathing is hugely helpful in getting oxygen to the brain and calming the fight or flight muscles.

Square breathing: 16 counts for the entire cycle.
Slowly breathe in over 4 counts.
Hold your breath for 4 counts.
Slowly exhale over 4 counts.
Hold for 4 counts.
Repeat.

Square breathing is incredibly effective. You can do this silently on the plane, in bad traffic, and in many other high anxiety situations. I've done it while my egocentric boss was delivering super insulting lectures to my team and I wanted to avoid punching him in the nose.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
I understand feeling nervous flying. When I am anxious about something else it makes flying seem more unpleasant. Anxieties bind. That is when you have a lot of other free floating anxieties they can glom onto your flying fear and make it seem worse. Not sure that is clear enough but I tried. Flying to vacation is so much more relaxing than flying for stressful work or a funeral.

A few tips that may help:
1. Try flying in first class. It feels safer. Why? Because there is more room. More attention from the flight crew. It is further from the engines so there is less noise. I always feel safer in first class or maybe it is just nicer. That said I remind myself this statistically is the safest form of transportation.

2. Take flight during the daytime. It is helpful to me sometimes to look out the window. Other people don't like to be near the window. It is a personal thing. To me anyway cramped nature of air travel is balanced by the view outside.

3. Take offs for me are the worst. To me it is just unnatural to leave the ground. On the other hand take offs can be a beautiful and magical experience. Whatever your own issue with flying try soothing music on your headphones to help. Or try podcasts. I like NPR Wait Wait don't tell me on flights. Do what you can to normalize flying.

4. Remember this is the price of traveling and seeing the world. Be grateful you get to fly. It is actually a treat. Some people never get to go anywhere.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I hate feeling claustrophobic on board and fly in an Airbus A380 for my mid-to-longhaul flights whenever I can. The cabin design, even in Economy, seems more airy and roomy. So the aircraft type may also help a little in alleviating some anxiety and fear of flying.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I've gone through periods of being anxious about flying (although looking back, these correlated with periods of general anxiety where I had to fly quite a lot, so it's probably not a specific fear).

My own experience (anxiety is personal, I'm trying to avoid giving advice):
  • Fear of this nature is often irrational. Trying to find a rational cause for it is often an unhelpful distraction.
  • Getting help with anxiety in general made anxiety around flying go away.
  • Watching the cabin crew really helped. If I was starting to freak out because of some noise or vibration, I'd just look over to them doing their thing, unperturbed, and realise that everything was normal.
  • All those people you think are looking at you - they're not.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by stut
  • All those people you think are looking at you - they're not.
This specific point has helped me manage my anxiety. I used to get close to a panic attack if I thought that people were looking at me or noticing me. Realising that nobody really gives a toss and that they're far more interested in the apps on their phones / their book / etc, etc., has helped a lot!

Anxiety caused huge problems at airports for me as it used to caused me to sweat buckets and that just made things even more awkward whilst going through security!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by stut
  • Watching the cabin crew really helped. If I was starting to freak out because of some noise or vibration, I'd just look over to them doing their thing, unperturbed, and realise that everything was normal.
I find this to be helpful in many situations that I perceive to be stressful. If the people who actually do this every day and know what's normal don't look concerned, it helps me relax.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:50 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

There are some terrific resources online to help with this. A google search will give you lots of results. If I recall, an airline pilot did a video that many people found helpful. I'm sorry, I don't recall more than that, but someone reading the thread might remember.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:02 pm

Fear of Flying - Help Please

We have a flight in 8 days. I am extremely nervous. My anxiety is not with the plane crashing, but more so in having an anxiety or panic attack once on board.

I have flown before, including October, with little issue, but my anxiety lately has really taken off.

My Dr. prescribed Klonopin, 10 pills, 0.5 mg. Both he and the pharmacist recommened "testing" ahead of time. Today I took one, about 90 mins later I did feel a little more relaxed and a little tired, but not what I feel is enough. Now, 8 hours later, I feel pretty much the same as before the medicine.

I have a follow up Wednesday. I feel like I need something stronger or different.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Klonopin should take effect within 5-10 mins. It's designed for panic attacks where you can't wait 90 mins. Talk to your doctor, and good luck. You'll be fine.

Effects last up to a few hours.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:16 pm

Thanks. Do you think I may just need a stronger dose? Will I build up a tolerance in just the last week or so if I keep "testing"?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyBoy24
Thanks. Do you think I may just need a stronger dose? Will I build up a tolerance in just the last week or so if I keep "testing"?
I'm not a doctor. The only real answer will come from your doctor. It sounds to me like you just need a stronger dose, or perhaps a different med. There are other anti-panic attack meds out there. I have taken klonopin in the past, and within about 5 mins on an empty stomach I felt like I'd had a couple glasses of wine, and things I'd had on my mind that day were much less pressing. It was rather pleasant. I can see how it could be habit forming.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
My expert medical opinion is that you should not seek medical advice from random strangers who may not actually have any medical expertise.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.