Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fear to fly - help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Fear to fly - help

Hello, I have been flying for quite a while any type of flights, ie long, short, etc... and for one reason or another one I started to have fear to fly.

I have been thinking about solutions to this problem as I need to fly for work and also for my lifestyle.

Do you have any suggestions to help me?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

See a therapist with expertise in treating anxiety disorders.

Or sign up for one of the periodic "fearful flyer" that are offered in different locales.

Or both.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:07 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I sympathize, I had a fear of flying 4 to 10 years ago that culminated with a panic attack while boarding 4 years ago. This is much better now but I do still have some anxiety on the surface from time to time.

Here is what I did to help me:

- I saw a psychiatrist to help me put the fear/anxiety at the back of my mind, basically
to learn to focus on something else. This was the most important thing that helped. I can say that on 60-70% of my flights I am nearly fully relaxed. The remaining 30% I am nervous (never fearful though) and it is not as bad as it was.

- Tell the FA. You are not specifying where you are based and what airlines you are flying so can not guarantee that it will help, but it will do no harm. Some FA/airlines will do nothing, but some will go out of your way to help you go through the flight. Most often than not, they will come by to your seat regularly to check on you.

- Read/watch stuff about plane. Whatever is the root of your fear (turbulences, loss of control, what happens if the engine goes off, ....) read documents, forums on the subject, watch documentaries. It helped me a lot to understand that an engine failure in flight or take-off is not something to be afraid of as pilots are trained in simulator to handle it regularly and planes must pass a test flight to prove they can handle it. I have a better understanding of turbulences as well (though it is still something I don't like).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:07 pm

You could also practice deep breathing or meditation exercises to help manage your fears.

As mentioned above, staying distracted and thinking about other things can help the time pass and make the flights more manageable. Do you read or watch movies while flying?

Good luck!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

thanks a lot. will follow your advises.
The anxiety started when I started having family (kids, etc...).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:02 pm

I am new to Flyer Talk.. I decide to join because I'm an extremely uneasy flier, and it seems that no one can relate when I ask, so I figured this would be a great start and place for me to be. Every flight I go on seems to get worse and worse. I get extremely panicked by the thought of "I'm stuck on here and cannot get off if I need to" I also think about there being no :"fresh air" and think of the feeling of the plane god forbid going down. I tried two .25mg of xanax a few times, but it did not work. I was also told by my doctor that I was taking it way too late.. I would take it when I would board the plane. I also believe that the pills I was taking were outdated. I leave in 3 weeks for my first flight in a long time and I'm fearing its going to be my worst flight. The thought literally keeps me up at night. I almost cancelled the entire trip 2 weeks ago but I promised myself I'd never let this fear get in the way of my living. My doctor prescribed me again, .25mg of xanax and advised me to take between 2 and 3. She told me to take it before the flight to see if it works for me. She also said to take it atleast an hour before departure. I feel like this fear has taken over so much. I missed out on 2 girls trips in the last year and fear that I'm going to freakout on this flight. I can't even be excited about vacation bc all I can think of is the flight. I have a wedding out of state in May that I don't even want to attend strictly because of the flight. If you have any advice, experience with xanax for flying or any help or comforting words, please let me know! I'm 23 years old and this fear actually saddens me. It make me feel so abnormal
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm not a Xanax user so I can't help you there. But flying is the safest form of transportation you'll ever take: if you drove yourself to that wedding, your odds of being injured or killed are vastly higher.

Do you know anything more about the trip? Airline, type of aircraft, connecting cities, etc.? With that, people here can sometimes offer advice on basic comforts and options.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:07 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It is not abnormal. Depending on the studies, between 25 and 30% of the population has a fear of flying to some degree, from mild anxiety up to full blown phobia. What’s your experience is normal and nothing to be ashamed of.
You can learn to control it, hopefully without medications.
- I saw a psychiatrist to help me put the fear/anxiety at the back of my mind, basically
to learn to focus on something else. This was the most important thing that helped. I can say that on 60-70% of my flights I am nearly fully relaxed. The remaining 30% I am nervous (never fearful though) and it is not as bad as it was.

- Tell the FA. You are not specifying where you are based and what airlines you are flying so can not guarantee that it will help, but it will do no harm. Some FA/airlines will do nothing, but some will go out of your way to help you go through the flight. Most often than not, they will come by to your seat regularly to check on you.

- Read/watch stuff about plane. Whatever is the root of your fear (turbulences, loss of control, what happens if the engine goes off, ....) read documents, forums on the subject, watch documentaries. It helped me a lot to understand that an engine failure in flight or take-off is not something to be afraid of as pilots are trained in simulator to handle it regularly and planes must pass a test flight to prove they can handle it. I have a better understanding of turbulences as well (though it is still something I do not like).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Loads of people have a fear of flying, so you are in good company.

Oral medications such as Xanax require, at the very minimum, 30 minutes in your system before it starts working. That's because when you swallow the pill, it doesn't start working right away. First it has to go down to your stomach where things like digestion start to break down the pill. Don't quote me, but I think Xanax is then metabolized in the liver, so you need to give this medication time to work for you. Your best bet for the Xanax is to take it about an hour before your plane is scheduled to depart.

I was not always a good flyer. One thing that helped me a LOT was to break down the flight into what I called small, manageable segments. Boarding the plane. Check. Safety demo. Check. Take off. Check. We hit cruising altitude. Check. The drink cart comes through. Check. The flight attendants clear the trash. Check.

If that doesn't work for you, another good one is to bring along some music and headphones, or maybe a good book or a favorite TV show/movie on a mobile device. The key here is to give your mind something else to do. You can't turn off the obsessive thoughts. In fact, the more you try sometimes the worse they become. Give yourself permission to feel what you're feeling. (Think about the child having a tantrum and the parents say, go ahead. Knock yourself out. Your mind is way more clever than a toddler, but sometimes it's just as easily swayed by the same gimmick.) The trick here is to give your mind something else upon which to focus.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but there are two other things you can do which may help alleviate flight stress. First - fly first/business/economy plus - if possible. The extra space you have between you and your neighbors may help a lot. Feeling confined and hemmed in is a trigger for many.

Second - while you want to arrive at the airport early so that you do not have to rush - sitting next to the gate can also be stressful for many people. Invest in a day pass for a lounge if you can swing it. The atmosphere is far more quiet and calm, which for me helps alleviate a lot of that pre-boarding stress. And if you board the plane in a calmer state, then the stress has to work harder to catch up. Since you'll also have taken your Xanax an hour before the flight is scheduled to depart, you'll hopefully be in a much better state of mind by the time you locate your seat.

There are other tactics as well. I hope you find a method that works for you, and I hope you wind up having a wonderful flight!!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Taking drugs is never the correct answer IMO. Especially if your concern is an emergency situation since sedatives affect your ability to react and respond.

I think simply exposing yourself to air travel more often is quite effective.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522
Taking drugs is never the correct answer IMO. Especially if your concern is an emergency situation since sedatives affect your ability to react and respond.
I don't believe that. My husband has always been a very nervous flyer, but he got some Ativan from his doctor and they help alot. They don't sedate him or completely eliminate the anxiety, but they certainly take the edge off and help him to fly without a constant fear of dying. Do take them a bit early since even the airport surroundings can start the anxiety before you even get on the plane. As mentioned above, relaxing at a lounge before the flight also seems to help him and load an ipad with some movies or t.v shows to help get your mind off things. Comedies tend to work well.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by k1395
I am new to Flyer Talk.. I decide to join because I'm an extremely uneasy flier, and it seems that no one can relate when I ask, so I figured this would be a great start and place for me to be.
First off, a lot of people have some level of uneasiness about flying. You're not alone. People have different levels of difficulty with it, though, and even for those who describe it as a phobia there are different ways of dealing with it. What works for one person may not work for another.

You mentioned trying prescription drugs with poor results. I recommend you discuss it with your doctor again or possibly with a different doctor. Be sure you understand the right drug(s) to take, when, in what doses, and what effect they'll have. Tell your doctor about the poor results you had the first time(s) you tried it.

There are also things you can do instead of or in addition to taking prescription drugs. A lot of people find flying (or other seemingly dangerous activities) much less fearsome as they develop better understanding about what's going on and what their options are. For example, you described loss of control as one of your triggers. Rather than assuming there's no way out if trouble happens, study what ways out are available. Practice fastening and unfastening your seatbelt. (Many deaths in plane crashes have been attributed to people failing at this seemingly basic task.) Read the safety card so you can see where the exits are. Look fore and aft to spot them. Count the rows in each direction, so you know how far to go even if you can see well. Reach under the seat to find where the flotation device is. Don't remove it! Just touch it so you know where to grab it in an emergency.

I could offer more suggestions in this vein but before I do, do you feel this sort of approach would be helpful? For some people thinking through the situation, breaking it down into smaller pieces or steps or options, is helpful; for others it's not.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Executive club Gold
Red face Frequent flyer - sudden fear of flying - Help!

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same. Whilst we don't fly for business we cover around 10 long hauls and 6 short hauls most years, flying in business or first depending on availability. (My husband is an air miles master, totally obsessed but I am not complaining)

Since last summer I have decided flying terrifies me, not the actual flying but being closed in and out of control. I think my biggest fear is having a panic attack on the flight and trying to escape (I'm so never going to do this but rational thought isn't coming into this for me). I have done returns to Italy, Canada (Toronto) Miami non direct, Thailand direct and a short haul return across Thailand from the UK since this occurred and I have been completely fine on all flights, a few drinks in the lounge, pre take off and with dinner plus lovely crew and a supportive husband, no problems. The days before flying involve tears, anxiety and general melt downs, no panic attacks. The night before flying we open a good red and have take away and this calms me.

I'm too scared to take a valium although I do carry them just incase, as the small possibility of side effects occurring on the flight (erratic behaviour for one!) add to my anxiety. I also carry a paper bag, iPad with games that distract, music and films. I have never been able to settle into a book on a flight despite loving reading. I do have a few drinks but never get drunk, this seems to help.

Has anyone suffered this and did it pass? We used to hop on flights all over the world and I didn't give it a second thought. What techniques do people use, are there any websites you can recommend at all? Am I just totally weird? Do the crew mind when I tell them I am anxious?

I would be really grateful to hear anyone who has had the same sudden fear?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I have a couple of apps on my phone that are self-hypnosis apps, and one of them really does work for me. You could try those out - PM me if you want more details of the one that I use.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Executive club Gold
Thank you, that would be great, I will pm. I did try looking into this a little but there are so many websites etc (many trying to sell you an ebook) I got a little flustered with it all, as the situation makes me anxious just thinking about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.