Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things That Have Improved About Traveling Since You Started Flying

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

So many threads exist bemoaning the loss of the good old days and I do enjoy being nostalgic. However, if I'm being honest there have been a lot of improvements since I started flying. I'm 30, but my frequent flyer days started in 2003. Since then improvements are:

- Wifi. It largely didn't exist at airports, then it did exist but it was only for pay including at lounges. Now it's largely free at airports and lounges and exists inflight.

- Lounge Food. US lounge food has drastically improved in the last two decades. I can remember visiting Admirals Clubs in the mid-90's and it was bagels in the morning and cheese and crackers at night. Now, DL especially followed by UA and somewhat AA have increased the food offerings at lounges significantly.

- Snack options on short flights in First. Snack baskets are a thing now, they by and large were not 10 years ago, at least not on AA and UA who I did the bulk of my flying with.

- IFE. AVOD is much more widely spread, especially on international flights, than it used to be.

- Hard Product in First and Business. Flat beds being a distant dream of the hardcore AA flyer last decade.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM

IFE without a doubt.
not my liver, thought.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA, HA
I'll second the Wi-Fi (both external internet & internal Wi-Fi AVOD) and the F/J lie flat products. It's sort of cheating, too, but internet sales and redemptions are way convenient.

Last edited by TheTakeOffRush; Dec 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I may be taking a too long view on this, but the most
salient improvements in my flying experience have been
improved safety and improved aircraft speed. Being in
the air is quite a bit more affordable now as well.

The rest, eh, pluses and minuses, with most of the
pluses on the "good old days" side (you can expect us
ancients to chime in on this with some regularity).

==

Regarding your list:

> - Snack options on short flights in First.

Used to get a hot meal between BOS and IAD/DCA.
Sometimes even in economy as I seem to recall
in the '60s and '70s. It didn't taste so great then,
but the offerings aren't any better now, just
chintzier. The beverage selection is now worse
than ever in my experience.

> - Hard Product in First and Business.

That's a matter of preference. I slept better and more
comfortably on the "barcaloungers" than I do in the
21st century coffins or even in the suites.

> - Wifi.

Well, it didn't exist at all until fairly recently.

> - IFE.

Yes.

> - Lounge Food.

Not so in the earliest days (I went infrequently and
only as a guest then), but compared with the 2000s,
I agree.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
The biggest improvement for me are the planes themselves, I remember being on some that sound like they're going to fall apart between the noise and vibrations.
Newer planes are a lot smoother and noise insulation has improved (also doesn't hurt that window sizes are getting bigger).

Second would be the IFE, I truly hated the days of having zero choice and tiny screens 20 feet away from your seat
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Things that have improved about traveling since I started flying?

That's easy: My budget!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Mobile technology for interacting with airlines
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The J/F product.
Wifi.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Wikipedia, in helping me suss out visa requirements, airports and airline destinations.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
So many threads exist bemoaning the loss of the good old days and I do enjoy being nostalgic. However, if I'm being honest there have been a lot of improvements since I started flying. I'm 30, but my frequent flyer days started in 2003. Since then improvements are:

- Wifi. It largely didn't exist at airports, then it did exist but it was only for pay including at lounges. Now it's largely free at airports and lounges and exists inflight.

- Lounge Food. US lounge food has drastically improved in the last two decades. I can remember visiting Admirals Clubs in the mid-90's and it was bagels in the morning and cheese and crackers at night. Now, DL especially followed by UA and somewhat AA have increased the food offerings at lounges significantly.

- Snack options on short flights in First. Snack baskets are a thing now, they by and large were not 10 years ago, at least not on AA and UA who I did the bulk of my flying with.

- IFE. AVOD is much more widely spread, especially on international flights, than it used to be.

- Hard Product in First and Business. Flat beds being a distant dream of the hardcore AA flyer last decade.
When I first started, even the best airlines didn't have flat bed seats in first. PAL advertised it then stopped. The first one I encountered was Singapore Air in the early 90s.

I remember when it was a big deal for the FA to walk through the front cabins with cassette tapes to allow you to pick a movie you wanted. First Class got first choice. If you were in Business Class you got to watch Adam Sandler.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm young, so my answer is Precheck, as I didn't really start flying till after 9/11.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check-in has improved drastically. Back in the days of boarding pass envelopes with your seat written in sharpie, I'd get a seat that was double assigned every few years.

WiFi

I'll even say the food in Y. A lot of people complain that there aren't meals on long domestic flights in Y anymore. The hot meals in those old days sucked. The game was always to try to guess which special meal was actually edible (e.g. which one would turn out to be a fresh fruit plate) and try to order that in advance. The BOB snacks and light meals today are much better than the old food, and if you have time to make a sandwich (or even buy one somewhere on the ground) you're doing much better than the old hot meals.

Airport food: *way* back in the day, it was generally on par with institutional cafeteria food but at extortionate prices. Everybody got excited when fast food restaurants started showing up at places like MSP and DTW. Now there are (and have been for a while) real sit down restaurants with reasonable food at only slightly extortionate prices.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

Hair styles.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Hair styles.
So clearly not everything has "improved".

(Sadly, while this picture may be 30 years old, some of these nice young ladies are still FAs)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
What end of the aircraft I sit at has changed since I started flying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.