Elite status Luggage tags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K; *G; VIPorter Priority; HHonors Gold; Fairmont President's Club Premier; Nexus

Who actually uses them? I've never put them on my bags and can't see why I would. I'm elite but not super elite. Perhaps if I was super elite I would, but not being so, I can't think of the benefit.

Am I missing something?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: DL GM
Not sure about the other airlines but DL used to print your frequent flyer number on the tag. Back then I used to attach the tags to help them reunite the bag with me if it went missing. Nowadays they don't have the FF number so I don't use them.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

...people who need their egos massaged. Personalised car plates are another symptom of this condition.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by WWGuy
Not sure about the other airlines but DL used to print your frequent flyer number on the tag. Back then I used to attach the tags to help them reunite the bag with me if it went missing. Nowadays they don't have the FF number so I don't use them.
This is why I use mine. I had to valet check a bag on a CRJ-200 a couple of weeks ago. The paper valet tag came off somewhere in transit. My AA EXP tag was the only thing that identified my bag and prevented it from going to the baggage carousel or, worse, lost baggage.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MEABFlyer
This is why I use mine. I had to valet check a bag on a CRJ-200 a couple of weeks ago. The paper valet tag came off somewhere in transit. My AA EXP tag was the only thing that identified my bag and prevented it from going to the baggage carousel or, worse, lost baggage.
Similar reason: my bag looks like everyone else's black roll-aboard with two pockets on the front. Not everyone else has a BA tag, though, and it's pretty distinctive in the States. (I don't have BA status any more, so the tag is of no practical value, but it does this job well.)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:20 am

The good doctor puts his on his luggage; I put mine in the front zip pocket of whatever bag or suitcase I'm using.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:40 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

When I was *G with a couple of airlines, those tags came in handy whenever I booked a one-way ticket; in other words, when check-in agents asked if I had an onward ticket, I'd say no, but these tags should help you understand that I'm not relocating.

Same thing with the Hong Kong Airport frequent user card, when that was still used.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd use my BA Gold tags but they of such poor quality that they come off very easily.

Now what makes my laugh is when I see tags on carry on luggage. DYKWIA indeed!

H
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
When I was *G with a couple of airlines, those tags came in handy whenever I booked a one-way ticket; in other words, when check-in agents asked if I had an onward ticket, I'd say no, but these tags should help you understand that I'm not relocating.

Same thing with the Hong Kong Airport frequent user card, when that was still used.
I'm sure I'm missing something, but how do luggage tags suggest a one-way ticket is inconsistent with a relocation?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
I keep my emirates one because it has FF number so can be traced if lost. Also have one on my laptop bag incase I forget it (didn't forget bag but on Saturday I left my headphones and passport at the gate -fortunately a crew member found f me and delivered them on board)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by LondonElite
...people who need their egos massaged. Personalised car plates are another symptom of this condition.
Then I guess having a WN "Ding" tag on my rollaboard steps all over my ago. And reminds me that they used to have low fares.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:55 pm

For all those "I have it on my bag so it can be traced"... a business card inside the bag will do the same trick.

I think 99% of people do it to show status. Nothing wrong with it (even though I do not think it says much about a person), but at least be honest and admit it.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't use a business card because I don't like to broadcast personal information. My elite luggage tags are inside my suitcase for lose luggse purposes.

I wish I could put them on my suitcase since 99% of my flights require gate checking, but this thread is proof that's a bad idea.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: *G
dont see a need

the current ones ive got has place for address... previous ones didnt at all, which was even the more useless
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by fassy
For all those "I have it on my bag so it can be traced"... a business card inside the bag will do the same trick.

I think 99% of people do it to show status. Nothing wrong with it (even though I do not think it says much about a person), but at least be honest and admit it.
As someone else noted upthread, it helps quickly identify the bag in sea of cookie cutter black bags getting tossed into a jetway after a flight on a regional jet that requires valet tagging. I suppose I should buy a bright orange bag the next time around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.