FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Disabled PX in Exit Row (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1725237-disabled-px-exit-row.html)

DaveBlaine Nov 24, 2015 9:53 am

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 25765316)
Whilst I tend to agree with you, there are those who use a wheelchair service as they can't stand for long / walk very far without pain, say a twisted ankle, a knee injury, plantar fasciitis etc. where walking and standing around can be painful. That is a completely different physical attribute than being able to obey instructions, lift a door, and exit the plane speedily. There is a difference between optimizing your everyday comfort while you have a minor injury, and being incapable of acting in an emergency.

That may be true but stereotypes are a real time-saver. :)

Often1 Nov 24, 2015 10:01 am

The time to deal with these things is on the spot. If the FA won't fix it, ask the FA to bring it to the Captain's attention.

If you choose to off-load yourself, I doubt that any GA will refuse a rebooking because the last thing they want is an FAA investigation of the individual's capacity.

FA's are trained to deal with this in a sensitive manner and most likely the FA here just slipped up and didn't notice.

MSPeconomist Nov 24, 2015 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine (Post 25765382)
That may be true but stereotypes are a real time-saver. :)

It's not a matter of stereotypes but the obvious fact that if it hurts someone to move, that person will be less effective or slower to move in an emergency.

Efrem Nov 24, 2015 7:20 pm

I agree that needing a wheelchair doesn't necessarily disqualify someone. In a previous lifetime I knew someone who had suffered a spinal cord injury in an accident, but was in outstanding physical shape from the waist up, could toss an exit door out of the way as easily as most of us toss a used tissue, and could somersault through the opening using his arms faster than most of us could go through the normal way. I'd rather have him next to the exit window than just about anyone else I can think of.

However, Dan C. was (and probably still is) the exception. If I see a frail-looking person going from a wheelchair to an exit row seat, I'll mention it quietly to an FA - because that person is supposed to be my protection in an emergency, not an obstacle to rapid egress. I'll let the FA take it from there. They know what to do. If alerted to a need by a passenger, they'll be sure to do it.

emma69 Nov 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25766217)
It's not a matter of stereotypes but the obvious fact that if it hurts someone to move, that person will be less effective or slower to move in an emergency.

I disagree, let me share a hypothetical. I would take a member of the armed services, emergency responders etc. with a bit of a duff knee over a random member of the public any day of the week - people used to dealing with emergency and high stress situations are better equipped to process the information in an emergency and won't let a minor injury make a jot of difference. People unused to emergency situations are much more likely to freeze, rendering them far more useless than someone who is a bit sore.