Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

United or Delta from DUB to New York and Chicago?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Hi, Just planning a trip for this summer. I have to go to New York and Chicago. I have been looking and the return Business Class trips are affordable for me right now.

Delta and United or both around about the same price from Dublin. I can't decide which airline to go with. I'm thinking now.

Delta.
1. Bigger plane - A330-300
2. Slightly nicer flight attendants

United.
1. Newark airport is much nicer and closer to Manhattan.
2.The 757-200 is cramped in Business class.
3. No stop on the way back.

I've been looking online and the United seat looks better, but it looks rather cramped on a 757. There is the option to have a seperate seat with Delta but I don't like the angle that it is pointed at.

What do members think?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Delta.

They don't call it eewnited for no reason.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
United or Delta

The many New Yorkers out there can offer better advice - but I'm not sure that I'd worry about whether LGA is closer to the city than JFK. The better question might be exactly where in New York are you headed - and are you a mass-transist guy or a car service guy...

Does United pre-clear from Dublin like Delta does? I think both do but if not that is a big difference.

The Delta seat angle will not bother you. I prefer the angle to a seat without aisle access.

Don't assume flight crews will be good or bad. Yes - most Delta crews are awesome but there are still some bad apples. United might have a few more bad apples (opinions will vary) but you can't predict who will be on your flight

Are you needing a shower on arrival? Do you have lounge access? Is there a price difference? Are you accruing Skyteam miles or Star Alliance miles? Those might be more important decision drivers.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
United or Delta

I would almost always pick the widebody over a narrowbody TATL, and I would think DL business is superior to UA, but I don't have experience on DL. Of course the convenience of a non-stop on the way home is great.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:17 pm

All else equal - it's Delta for sure.

The layover is a little bit on the annoying side, but it depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing. Personally, I like the opportunity to stretch the legs and do a extra take off/landing.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:05 pm

Direct flight back to Dublin from Chicago is long enough to probably give you some time to sleep. Overnight flight from NYC to DUB is almost too short to get anything more than a nap.

Other than that, Delta beats United on all comparisons. Also, if you are very tall (>185-190cm), the seats on the UA 752 are probably not long enough to sleep well in any case.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
With the caveat that I don't fly either United or Delta regularly...you can't fly non-stop between DUB and ORD on Delta. Do you mind having to connect in NYC in both directions?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Isn't the United flight nonstop ORD-DUB a code share operated by Aer Lingus on an Airbus A330-200?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by schwarm
Direct flight back to Dublin from Chicago is long enough to probably give you some time to sleep. Overnight flight from NYC to DUB is almost too short to get anything more than a nap.
There is a 45 min flight time difference between these two flights.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by masgniw
All else equal - it's Delta for sure.

The layover is a little bit on the annoying side, but it depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing. Personally, I like the opportunity to stretch the legs and do a extra take off/landing.

masgniw

Agreed and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by 747FC
There is a 45 min flight time difference between these two flights.
Ahhh, but it's the 45 minutes at the end that makes all the difference.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Ahhh, but it's the 45 minutes at the end that makes all the difference.
Especially in Stage 4
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:46 am
Original Poster

I'm just not sure about the angle of the Delta seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.