Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

History of the status component of frequent flyer programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC

Forgive me if Information Desk is the wrong place for this - I couldn't work out the correct place to post this.

Much has been said about the introduction of Frequent Flyer programs with Texas International in 1979 and then American Airlines in 1981, but much of this discussion has focussed very much on the rewards side of things - earning miles, spending miles on free reward seats.

However, it's much harder to find information about the history of the status component of frequent flyer programs. Sure, airlines and other business have usually rewarded high-spending customers, but I'm intrigued to know who came up with the idea of the status benefits, and being able to produce a table of defined extra benefits given to people that achieve a certain qualification, and that qualification being publicised and measurable.

In essence, who invented the idea of membership tiers (like AAdvantage Gold/Platinum/EXP and United Premier/Premier Exec/1K) and introduced it into their frequent flyer program?

In this way, we're not talking about things like the very old Delta 100,000 miler club because that was just a plaque that people were given to recognise them. Similarly I'm hoping to exclude things like Concierge Key, Global Services and Emirates I/O, because they don't publish the qualification requirements for those to allow you to attain that level.

Who was the smart person that came up with the idea of airline status, which then locks so many of us into the programs that we use when flying? And which airline introduced it to market?

I'd love to know if people know much more about the history of this aspect of frequent-flyer programs as it doesn't seem to be as well documented.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Delta's Frequent Flyer Program had Medallion as its only elite level in the late 1980s. (I don't know when they introduced it; it was there when I started serious flying.) It required 25,000 actual flight miles; as I recall: class of service bonuses didn't count, but the segment minimum of 1,000 miles did. Around 1990 or a bit before, they introduced Royal Medallion for 50,000 miles. There were no elite bonus miles. Instead, elites got to choose rewards from a separate schedule with reduced mileage requirements. That was more or less the same, but not exactly, since partner miles (car rentals, etc.) increased in value along with flying miles. This all changed when DL switched to its SkyMiles program in 1995.

One of the best awards on the Medallion schedule was the M2 award: round trip upgrade for 2,500 miles with no fare restrictions. Since you then earned redeemable miles based on where you sat, not what you paid, you could upgrade a trip of over 2,500 miles and earn more additional miles via the class of service bonus than you paid for the upgrade. A win-win, at least for the passenger. Sadly, those days are gone.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
TWA had an elite level in the early-mid 1980s.

However, long before there were FF programs, airline staff (especially sales representatives and airport station managers) made sure to give perks to their own frequent flyers, including lounge access and upgrades (some OPUPs, some IROPs rebookings, and some just because, including on international flights). Of course, for some of this, it helped to fly the same routes all the time. [For example, I know a guy who commuted between BOS and TLV on Swiss and was upgraded almost always. Other people I know were met by an airline-provided car on the tarmac upon arrival at ATH and FCO, although they had connections of the non airline variety too.]

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 10, 2015 at 11:15 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The concept of "elite levels" well predates FF programs. My dad was given an inscribed brass-and-mahogany plague by United Airlines in the 1960s for being in the "100,000 Mile Club." In this era you can fly 100,000 miles and not get the time of day from UA or most others.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BearX220
My dad was given an inscribed brass-and-mahogany plague by United Airlines...
Ouch! Did they pay for the treatment as well?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
We'll try this out in Travelbuzz where it might become part of a larger discussion.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
Delta's Frequent Flyer Program had Medallion as its only elite level in the late 1980s. (I don't know when they introduced it; it was there when I started serious flying.) It required 25,000 actual flight miles; as I recall: class of service bonuses didn't count, but the segment minimum of 1,000 miles did. Around 1990 or a bit before, they introduced Royal Medallion for 50,000 miles. There were no elite bonus miles. Instead, elites got to choose rewards from a separate schedule with reduced mileage requirements. That was more or less the same, but not exactly, since partner miles (car rentals, etc.) increased in value along with flying miles. This all changed when DL switched to its SkyMiles program in 1995.

One of the best awards on the Medallion schedule was the M2 award: round trip upgrade for 2,500 miles with no fare restrictions. Since you then earned redeemable miles based on where you sat, not what you paid, you could upgrade a trip of over 2,500 miles and earn more additional miles via the class of service bonus than you paid for the upgrade. A win-win, at least for the passenger. Sadly, those days are gone.
Wow! I'm actually happy I wasn't around for this game in those days; it would just make me depressed now...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:04 pm

KLM had a so-called courtesy card to recognize their most frequent flyers in the 70's (and maybe a bit earlier) - spouses also got one.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would imagine it's very much linked to computing power - you need to track these things and it would not have been possible before modern computers.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I would imagine it's very much linked to computing power - you need to track these things and it would not have been possible before modern computers.
What's "modern?" SABRE was under development in the 1950s and operational on IBM 7090s in 1960. Other airlines used IBM 7070 and 7080 family systems during the 1960s as well.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My grandpa once told me he had some version of status with PanAm in either the 70s or 80s.

He also had a Hilton Preferential card dating from the '60s. Apparently he did some work for Hilton then (he started/ran a CPA firm in Chicago) and told them he'd do the work for free if he could get a Preferential card, which at the time had to be individually and personally approved by Conrad Hilton. I think its main benefit was that you could show up at any Hilton worldwide without a reservation and they had to give you a room.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't remember a world before status...I just remember the early 1990's, when AA Plat garnered very nice treatment by the airline. There was no EXP, so as soon as you hit 50k you were "top tier". (If CK existed, it was hush-hush enough that it didn't detract from the regular Plat experience.) Airports had Platinum Service Centers. I received numerous TATL operational upgrades as a Plat. The ladies at my local CTO actually *knew* me...I'd go in there once a month at lunch and buy a whole stack of tickets for my regular work commute. The whole thing was so much more human back then. Airlines and passengers did not view each other as adversaries. Weird, huh?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there must be threads on this

financial statements / annual reports may track some of the history ?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
... the early 1990's ... If CK existed, it was hush-hush enough that it didn't detract from the regular Plat experience...
No CK until the early 2000s. Someone else may recall more precisely.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Efrem
No CK until the early 2000s. Someone else may recall more precisely.
I don't recall coming across any CK's prior to the second half of the 2000s. In 2001-2004, people whom I know to have been big AA spenders didn't end up with CK even as many of them ended up with it by say 2008 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.