Reload this Page >

Congress introduces legislation to cap baggage fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congress introduces legislation to cap baggage fees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by travel.flier
Congress is stupid
I agree.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
If this were to somehow pass the airlines could just take it to court and win, hasnt there been several cases in the last few decades of someone trying to force the airline to do something and the case has always failed due to deregulation and airlines are free to price their product as they see fit.
The Deregulation act prevents states from regulating airline pricing, not the federal government. This bill would certainly be constitutional under the commerce clause.

Congress should not restrict airline fees the same way they can't restrict how much Starbucks charges for a cup of coffee. Don't like the fee? Don't check a bag, don't fly the airline, or fly an airline that doesn't charge a fee.
Part of the issue is that the TSA has to scan bags, and carry-on bags have more stringent rules (and presumably cost more to screen) than checked bags. If people start carrying on more bags due to the checked baggage fees, it costs the government more money.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Congress is stupid
Thank you so much for enlightening me with this earth-shattering revelation.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by cbn42
The Deregulation act prevents states from regulating airline pricing, not the federal government. This bill would certainly be constitutional under the commerce clause.

Part of the issue is that the TSA has to scan bags, and carry-on bags have more stringent rules (and presumably cost more to screen) than checked bags. If people start carrying on more bags due to the checked baggage fees, it costs the government more money.
I am not a lawyer, but I watched a lot of Perry Mason as a kid. I think all travelers pay for the TSA with fees added to the cost of the ticket. Last I read, the TSA makes a profit.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:05 pm
Suspended

This is capitalism, not communism. The government has no business telling a private company what they can charge for a product.
Actually, it does, if either or both of the following scenarios are at play:

- A substantial portion of the product being sold is actually a pass-through of government-provided sub-services (such as airport runway slot fees, air traffic control services, TSA fees, etc.)

- A vendor has, through acquisition or predatory pricing, or by buying all of a locally available scarce resource such as landing slots - created a monopoly position for itself, or an oligopoly with apparent collusion between the players in a market.

One should not be naive and assume that the airline industry pricing is shaped by the conventional forces of supply and demand in the same manner that they would be in a competitive marketplace. Starbucks competes in a competitive market - Airlines, unfortunately in most instances do not.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Actually, it does, if either or both of the following scenarios are at play:

- A substantial portion of the product being sold is actually a pass-through of government-provided sub-services (such as airport runway slot fees, air traffic control services, TSA fees, etc.)

- A vendor has, through acquisition or predatory pricing, or by buying all of a locally available scarce resource such as landing slots - created a monopoly position for itself, or an oligopoly with apparent collusion between the players in a market.

One should not be naive and assume that the airline industry pricing is shaped by the conventional forces of supply and demand in the same manner that they would be in a competitive marketplace. Starbucks competes in a competitive market - Airlines, unfortunately in most instances do not.
WRONG!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kettle1
I am not a lawyer, but I watched a lot of Perry Mason as a kid. I think all travelers pay for the TSA with fees added to the cost of the ticket. Last I read, the TSA makes a profit.
Yes, travelers pay a TSA security fee, but it is a flat amount and does not depend on the number of bags checked in or carried onto the plane. Therefore, airline fees that encourage people to carry on more bags rather than checking them in cost the government money. One way to address this would be to make the screening fee depend on the amount of luggage, reflecting the higher cost of screening carry ons.

WRONG!
Care to explain how it's wrong?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Care to explain how it's wrong?
Here are a few examples.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/trav...eficit-n155826

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new...row-2014-06-30

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/21/travel...nger-fee-hike/

Use GOOGLE, you will find 100+ more stories. LOOK IT UP!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, maybe the government can force the airlines to charge $250 per ticket instead of the ridiculous $225 per ticket and $25 for a checked bag. That would be a huge win for consumers. (except for the $5 "enforcement fee" that is tacked on. And the fact that a person with no bags is subsidizing those with 2 bags. But who needs this consumption-based fees, free-market stuff. Similarly, maybe we just charge everyone $30 to fill up their car with gas - none of this charge based-on-how-much-you-actually-use stuff. We need more regulation to make things better.)
No no no! As someone who almost always carries on I am against this because it will make my fare go up? Do these numbskulls in congress not understand that if you restrict how much the airline can charge in baggage, they will just raise their fares by that much more, or find a new fee somewhere else to make up the difference.

Why should I have to subsidize those that check bags? Pay for what you use!
Maybe the two of you are young enough to forget that this is the way it always used to be, 2 bags were free and there were no fuel surcharges (I say this tongue in cheek as I can see your account age, but its funny how quickly people forget). You didn't have problems with overstuffed overhead bins because people could check-in if they preferred. Then some numbskull (think it was Delta) got a hairbrained idea to try charging extra and it caught on.

Airline CEO's have always tried to sell "debundling" as a way for consumers to save money, but I know when I fly domestic in the US I pay FAR more now than I did prior to "debundling". I have no sympathy for the big 3 (or 4) remaining legacy carriers in the US after what they've done to consumers in the past 10-15 years. In most of the rest of the world, bags are free (or inclusive, however you want to look at it). Somehow airlines in Brazil and the Philippines are surviving with no fuel surcharges, somehow Cathay Pacific didn't collapse either when HK restricted Fuel Surcharges, they just price a fare at what they should be charging... oh, I don't see Philippine Airlines, Cathay, or TAM charging for checked bags either. Airlines in the US got greedy during the consolidation years and went way to far with it since they are not taxed the same way on these fees as they would be on ticket sales. If it takes federal regulation to get back to transparent pricing and "fair fares" so be it, regulate the hell out of them if that's what it takes, enough of the shenanigans from US carriers. The worst part is, what these big 3 do doesn't just affect American consumers, these companies being the largest in the industry also are very influential in other countries and have seen the same crap creeping into other markets after it proves to work in the US, so enough is enough.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is Congress so bored that it thinks it should take this up? I appreciate that to the leisure traveller that these fees are a bit of shock to the system. But given what a massive revenue stream this has become airlines will merely come up something else to replace this lost revenue.

H
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Hoch
Is Congress so bored that it thinks it should take this up? I appreciate that to the leisure traveller that these fees are a bit of shock to the system. But given what a massive revenue stream this has become airlines will merely come up something else to replace this lost revenue.

H
The problem is that self-regulation isn't working. Spirit, for example, is among the worst with bag fees, and it won't follow industry standards (so a bag is considered "overweight" for even more fees at 40 lbs. rather than 50 lbs.) They also frequently have "embargo" flights, especially international, where they won't accept more than 1 bag, period.

I have no doubt that Spirit would try to recover the money somewhere else if fees were capped, but OTOH their business model seems to be wanting to advertise as low a fare as possible in the big type but add on a pile of fees so that what someone might realistically pay is nothing like what was advertised. Bait and switch.

Here's a reason to support capping fees that you rarely see talked about: Because the fees have destroyed a huge amount of downstream economic activity. This is one of those "Freakanomics" arguments, but if you think it through it makes sense. People often make a lot of discretionary purchases (if not frivolous) in connection with vacation. Maybe a mouse-ears clock from Disney World is a questionable purchase to most people, or maybe it's something like a woodworking at an art fair, or whatever. Bag fees and the realization you may run into that or would have to go to a second bag or hit an overweight fee can be a powerful disincentive, and I'll bet they've had a real negative effect on how much stuff people buy while on trips.

Again, while much of the stuff is discretionary, it's economic activity nonetheless, and the biggest thing holding the economy back is not enough consumer spending at the middle and bottom vs. past recoveries or booms. By looking out so much for numero uno (except with Southwest), I'd argue that airlines have had a very significant negative domino effect on the economy with these bag fees, and that the effect has been underreported.

Obviously we need hard numbers or some way to try to quantify, but my guess is they've destroyed many times as many dollars in GDP as they've made for themselves with the fees.

For something analogous, imagine if the USPS did away with book rate and media mail. Those are chronic money losers, sfter all, and stem from decades-long mandates. OK, you've saved the postal service millions. But you've also hurt or destroyed economic activity still worth tens of billions, including every magazine publisher, book publishers, Amazon, etc. I'd argue that's the kind of thing airlines have done as an unintended consequence of the bag fees.

Last edited by RustyC; Aug 2, 2015 at 1:56 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:05 am

Outlawing excessive bag fees is basically a safety issue. Unfortunately, the airlines, despite their crackdowns, haven't been able to get people to stop bringing the rollaboards which test the limits aboard. Resulting in a cabin that is a giant mess, with bags stowed in places not really designed for baggage stowage, such as underneath the seat infront. The problem of the rollaboards is particularly acute amongst the frequent business travelling customers who covet them for the convenience.

If an airline truly has a subset of customers who travel roundtrip same-day and neither bring checked luggage, nor the stretching-the-limits carry-ons, then they should be using their loyalty programs to reward those customers instead of through the implied discount of not paying bag fees. Perhaps a special endorsement on same-day roundtrip tickets that gives double FF points or a free drink if only a minimal or no carry-on is brought aboard?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyC
Here's a reason to support capping fees that you rarely see talked about: Because the fees have destroyed a huge amount of downstream economic activity.

For something analogous, imagine if the USPS did away with book rate and media mail. Those are chronic money losers, sfter all, and stem from decades-long mandates. OK, you've saved the postal service millions. But you've also hurt or destroyed economic activity still worth tens of billions, including every magazine publisher, book publishers, Amazon, etc. I'd argue that's the kind of thing airlines have done as an unintended consequence of the bag fees.
That's a fair argument, but why should the airlines promote economic growth in other sectors at their own expense? USPS is a government entity, so they have some responsibility for the nation's economy, but the airlines are private businesses.

Your links show that the TSA operates at a surplus. I'm not sure how that is relevant to any of this.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, I can see the disincentive argument. Equally though if someone wants to fly they will and either pay the additional cost involved or HBO, which is of course making space even more scarce.

H
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Congress is stupid
Yes, but there's more than stupidity here. This has the added advantage of being a shakedown of the airline industry. From Congress' view, it's win-win!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.