Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Waited over an hour for an open gate, then faced three hour wait at Customer Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waited over an hour for an open gate, then faced three hour wait at Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

The flight from Boston to DCA was uneventful until we landed. We were speeding toward the gate and I looked forward to getting something to eat before getting on my next flight. It was a short connection but I didn't see any problem. But suddenly the plane stops moving and we sit there for 20 minutes. Not a word came from the flight deck.

Finally the Captain came on and said there were no gates and we would be sitting there until one opened up. Finally after sitting for an hour we got to the gate and 15 minutes later the plane was empty.

My connection had already left and the airport was in busy. I made my way to the customer service desk and found there was over 100 people waiting for one agent to help them. Three hours later I made it to the front of the line and was rebooked for the next day. No hotel was given and we had to pay for our own room.

I tried calling and tweeting while in line. They did not respond to my tweets or did I ever get off hold. I am not an elite member of American Airlines or do I have Club Membership.

What could I and the other hundred other people in line do differently?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Do you have travel insurance?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Not much really. Unfortunately these things happen every day. I would have thought you can claim the hotel and additional expenses from the airline, or worst from travel insurance.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's been a lot of bad weather in the northeast the last few days, and that includes up to 4 hour arrival delays at some airports. When that happens, aircraft get out of position and gates that might be expected to be available are occupied by late-departing and late-arriving aircraft. Sometimes this also includes "ground stops" where aircraft can't depart one airport until the other airport can find a landing slot for them. Basically, blame the weather.

If AA is not offering to pay for your room, it's likely that they're considering your delay weather-related. You could follow up by e-mail and complain, and ask them to reimburse hotel and meal expenses, but weather is an escape clause that they can fall back on and not have to cover your expenses. Head over to the AA website and look for the "contact us" link.

About the only thing you could have done differently was get on the phone with AA while you were in that 3 hour line to rebook something sooner.

I don't have travel insurance. You might check if the credit card you made the booking with offered any protection.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by librarygal
You could have spend $50 for a one day pass to the Club and had the help of the AAngels.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tom911
There's been a lot of bad weather in the northeast the last few days, and that includes up to 4 hour arrival delays at some airports. When that happens, aircraft get out of position and gates that might be expected to be available are occupied by late-departing and late-arriving aircraft. Sometimes this also includes "ground stops" where aircraft can't depart one airport until the other airport can find a landing slot for them. Basically, blame the weather.

If AA is not offering to pay for your room, it's likely that they're considering your delay weather-related. You could follow up by e-mail and complain, and ask them to reimburse hotel and meal expenses, but weather is an escape clause that they can fall back on and not have to cover your expenses. Head over to the AA website and look for the "contact us" link.

About the only thing you could have done differently was get on the phone with AA while you were in that 3 hour line to rebook something sooner.

I don't have travel insurance. You might check if the credit card you made the booking with offered any protection.
OP did try to call AA while waiting in line, but never got beyond being on hold.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you dont have to rely on that customer service desk

if there is a lounge, you could pay to use it, they might be more helpful with no queue, and you might be able to get payment (to use lounge) refunded

possible to get compensation afterwards
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

With no status when the problem was caused by weather?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not much really. Unfortunately these things happen every day. I would have thought you can claim the hotel and additional expenses from the airline, or worst from travel insurance.
1. Unless the delay was occasioned by AA, e.g., a mechanical, there is no basis for compensation, including for hotel. OP may submit it, but it is certain to be rejected. Most travel insurance will cover trip interruption and that's what this is.

2. I note that OP called AA. Was this possibly a US flight given that it was BOS-DCA. As the late delivering carrier, it would have been on US to rebook OP and that might have gone faster.

3. As to reasons, OP doesn't provide a time-frame, but the past few days have seen horrible weather with ground stops and other restrictions. DCA is great because it's 10 minutes to downtown. It's terrible because it's physically small, surrounded on three sides by water and a highway on the fourth. When traffic slows or stops, there is no place to put aircraft and off-loading passengers onto air stairs is not a great idea at DCA absent a real need.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if there is a lounge, you could pay to use it, they might be more helpful with no queue, and you might be able to get payment (to use lounge) refunded
Refunded by who? AA is not going to refund the cost of a one day pass after purchase. Have you ever seen them do that or read reports on the AA forum of that happening? I haven't. If they did, every passenger getting off a delayed flight would rush in for priority assistance, complete their rebooking, and then ask for a refund. Just not going to happen.

Even if it's weather related? I'd be very surprised.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP did try to call AA while waiting in line, but never got beyond being on hold.
Thanks. Appears I missed that.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

compensation may depend on one's communication (and sometimes negotiation) abilities

Originally Posted by LMB01
You could have spend $50 for a one day pass to the Club and had the help of the AAngels.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once it starts to look like you're stuck, if you're on the ground you can start looking up flight status on your smartphone and looking for alternates. With a tight connection and an ambiguous delay time while waiting for a gate, you can get on the phone while you're still on the plane. You might still end up waiting on hold, and still without a flight til the next day, but you'd be earlier in the queue and maybe have a better chance of getting rebooked for the same day.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The flight from Boston to DCA was uneventful until we landed. We were speeding toward the gate and I looked forward to getting something to eat before getting on my next flight. It was a short connection but I didn't see any problem. But suddenly the plane stops moving and we sit there for 20 minutes. Not a word came from the flight deck.

Finally the Captain came on and said there were no gates and we would be sitting there until one opened up. Finally after sitting for an hour we got to the gate and 15 minutes later the plane was empty.

My connection had already left and the airport was in busy. I made my way to the customer service desk and found there was over 100 people waiting for one agent to help them. Three hours later I made it to the front of the line and was rebooked for the next day. No hotel was given and we had to pay for our own room.

I tried calling and tweeting while in line. They did not respond to my tweets or did I ever get off hold. I am not an elite member of American Airlines or do I have Club Membership.

Were both flights on American and were they both on the same ticket? If so, they owe you more than just next day rebook.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Were both flights on American and were they both on the same ticket? If so, they owe you more than just next day rebook.
that was my thought but i may have missed something or others may know schedules offhand
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Others have suggested paying for a lounge pass, but that's no guarantee. Just last week, I used a pass for the United Club in IAD. Despite no weather issues, the wait for an agent there was 40 minutes. That day, the regular customer service line would have been quicker.

Standing in line while waiting on hold on the phone is the usual best practice. But when the line gets that long (three hours!), it sometimes is faster to exit the secure area and go to the ticket counter for assistance there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.