Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cure Me: You couldn't sleep on long flights, then you found the cure...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cure Me: You couldn't sleep on long flights, then you found the cure...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
OK, where does one get "low-dose-slow-release melatonin" that is reliable?
I get it on Amazon, and there is a health-food store around here that has it. PM me if you have trouble finding it - it's around!

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I take it nightly. In Canada, I go to Shoppers Drug Mart. I take the 10mg slow dose melatonin. Sold right beside regular melatonin Helps get me to sleep and to stay asleep.

Otherwise the half life on regular melatonin is way too short.
Taking Melatonin every night really does nothing unless you have some shortcoming with your pituitary gland (or whatever glad produces melatonin, I can't remember!). Also, keep in mind that 10mg is a monster dose - the actual production of melatonin in the body a few hundred micrograms at most.

So much of sleep is psychological, which is why I think so many people swear by melatonin and take it nightly, but if you look around at credible sources,i.e. doctors and scientists it really doesn't make much sense to take it daily, or at a high dose.

Originally Posted by dand99
I find that taking a (regular) does of any OTC cold/flu pills of the "nightime" variety does the trick.

Since my nose blocks up during flights, the decongestant is a welcome bonus :-)

I use a neck pillow so don't tend to end up with my head on my seatmate's shoulder, except on those cases when I'm seated next to King Kong and his shoulder and my head are close proximity anyhow.
Probably dipenhidramine again!

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I find I sleep badly (as in waking up a lot and having difficulty getting back to sleep) even on flights with flat beds. I am a bit wary of sleeping tablets for various reasons so have stopped taking them.

But I have recently discovered something that works for me: anti-histamines. I take an old-style anti-histamine (the type that warns you about drowsiness as a side effect and tells you not to use heavy machinery ) after I board and find the quality of my sleep is very much improved.

I'm sure this isn't the ultimate answer for everyone (though I do feel like I should be in one of those ads that say "Drug companies hate him - look at this funny old trick that costs a few cents and puts you to sleep safely and quickly" ) but it has really benefited me and it is cheap, easy (no prescriptions) and has minimal side effects. Well, there is one: I wake up with no blocked nose!
Probably dipenhidramine again!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Assuming an afternoon or evening departure just tell yourself, no matter what time the aircraft departs, that it is bedtime. Therefore, you are now sleepy. Then go to sleep.

Ambien or an antihistamine can be used to help convince the mind to sleep.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Dave-H
Taking Melatonin every night really does nothing unless you have some shortcoming with your pituitary gland (or whatever glad produces melatonin, I can't remember!). Also, keep in mind that 10mg is a monster dose - the actual production of melatonin in the body a few hundred micrograms at most.
Some of us are recovering from alcohol abuse.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
On the other hand...

Men of "a certain age" who might be having difficulties, or about to have, with everyone's favorite gland, the prostate, should be careful when using diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for, well, anything. It's been known to enlarge the prostate so much that if completely cuts off flow, resulting in catheterization.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended

Another vote for booze.
A couple of belts in the airport,G+T before dinner,bottle of red then whammo I'm out like a light.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by ckx2
More Champagne!
This is the only cure for me...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
I read through the first page, but could nt go through beyond that with many Ambien recommendations.

One option that has worked for me is to sleep less the two nights before, but also increase the amount of physical activity.

It can be anything like tennis, walking, running, cardio class etc.. but do a longer stretch if convenient on the day of flight or the day before.
However, there may be something more deeper (psychological) that is worth exploring.

Although I sleep well on planes, trains, even buses... but if I had a big presentation the next morning, I didn't sleep the same length of time. But then I evaluated several factors regarding that and identified specific anxiety triggers. So it is better now.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:00 pm

I just thought of another one without the use of medicine or alcohol! It's to listen to a guided meditation.. There are lots of meditation audios out there. I find them to be really helpful when I have trouble sleeping!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Try AdvilPM

My DW bought a bottle of AdvilPM (Advil & an antihistamine) and the first night I tried it (at home, two tabs) I slept for 7+ hours. That hasn't happened to this old man in years. Can't wait to try this on my next long flight. YMMV or course.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
I searched FT, but while learning how others regularly fall asleep on flights is kind of helpful, I need to know how non-sleepers found a cure.

I do a once a year 24 hour travel/16 hours flying time trip. I am awake the entire time.... a lone person, in the dark, in a sea of sleeping people. I arrive a total wreck and greet my excited, talkative, welcoming extended in-law family like a barely-walking zombie.

I have tried:
No caffeine (coffee, soda, chocolate, teas, nothing) 24 hours before flight.
Melatonine
Bringing my own travel pillow and blankie.
Using a travel pillow and a neck pillow.
Tylenol PM

I can't:
Use a window seat, because I get restless leg syndrome being trapped in there. I prefer an aisle seat.
Spend a ton of $$$ on Bose earphones

Do any of you experts- who have had trouble sleeping on long flights- have any suggestions for me? I would be really grateful. My upcoming annual trip is coming up in 2 weeks and I am dreading it. Thank you!
Coming a little late to this party (I realize you've already flown) but I get RLS too. My cure is to *keep extremely warm* -- tiredness and coldness exacerbates the RLS.

I wear compression socks on long flights. I pack a warm fleece plus a fleece blanket plus a silk sleeping bag liner (this is tiny, about the size of a large can of fruit, but it gives a lot of warmth). I have a couple of glasses of wine or a scotch, but I don't overdo it on the booze. I use an eyemask. I don't use earplugs or drugs because I get anxious if I lose too much sensory input.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA1MM;AA EXP;Hilton HHonors Gold; Hertz Gold; Emerald Club; Admirals Club;
Several suggestions that work in combination

I'm AA Executive Platinum, so I spend a significant amount of time on long haul (12+ hours) flights. Here are the things I find that work for me.
Get up very early the day of departure. Think 4AM and finish packing. You do not say what time your normal departure is or if you are in coach or Business class. I'm guessing coach.
We do this for flights that leave around 6PM+. Eat your meal, read some, whatever you normally do before you go to sleep. I've heard using the computer is bad and stimulates your brain to "wake-up". I'm not sure about watching a movie on the plane though. It doesn't bother me. Get an eye mask and use insertable iPod earplugs. Download a white noise APP turn it on and plug in.Take 2-3 mgs of Ambien. At most 5 msg and ONLY if you are male, can you risk taking 5 mgs. (Women metabolize it differently and they must take a significantly lower dose- 1-2mgs.) NOT 10 mgs!! I agree with the FA's. It has a 4 hour half-life, meaning half of it is out of your system in 4 hours. It also means if there is an emergency, you can shake it off and wake up to deal with circumstances. Another med that works for some of my friends is Xanax 0.5 mg. This drug is short acting but effective. It is also HIGHLY addictive. So take only a couple with you. One for each direction. It goes without saying, no alcohol. That inhibits sleep and can interact with either of these meds. Drink lots of water on that length trip you are at risk for DVT. Also try to find a gadget called a "First Class Sleeper." It's inflatable and you sit on it. It supports your neck and lower back to make those tiny coach seats just a wee bit more comfortable. Good luck!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:18 pm
Original Member

I find all flat bed seats, angled and level, uncomfortable, because they are hard and uneven. So I bring my thermarest pad. Fits in my carry-on rolled up.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

OP here. I updated my experience 2 pages back. (see below) Since then, I wanted to thank the new posters with their advice. I took 5mgs. of the Ambien, but I see a poster saying that that is too much. I'll try a lower dosage next time I take this flight. I really appreciate the RSL advice. I started getting a little of that before the pill took effect, so I'll try your suggestion as well. Thanks so much again everyone---->

"OP here. Thank you so much to everyone who offered suggestions. After reading them, I called my Family Medicine physician, explained my problem, and requested a prescription for a couple of Ambien. I had just seen him about a week earlier so I guess he felt okay with prescribing sleep meds over the phone.
I was a little worried about weird side effects or sluggishness upon waking so I tried one at home before our trip. It worked just fine.
Got on our 12 hour flight, had dinner, watched a movie, then took 1 Ambien. I also did something different, which was to put a flat pillow down on the tray table (the clean pillow covered the whole tray) and put my head down to sleep. It's a little cramped but bam I was OUT for most of the trip and woke up feeling just fine- not sluggish or drowsy- about 7 hours later. I did the same thing for our flight back to the states. Worked great.
On our late night, much delayed, domestic, 3 hour flight back home I did the pillow/tray table thing, without the Ambien, and I slept for 2 hours.
I hope something in this thread helps someone else have a more pleasant trip. Thanks again to everyone!"
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Have tried Ambien for long-haul, doesn't work for me even though I use it occasionally at home with good results. No other meds (antihistamines, dramamine) ever make me sleepy.I do usually have a few drinks on a redeye flight but doesn't help. The main issue is getting comfortable and I can't afford lie-flat. Have tried the head on tray, doesn't work. Slept very little even on NZ Air's wonderful economy-plus pods. I might try some of my codeine cough medicine next time if I haven't used it up for a cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.