Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cure Me: You couldn't sleep on long flights, then you found the cure...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cure Me: You couldn't sleep on long flights, then you found the cure...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Ambien and things like that - make sure you try them before getting into an airplane.

Just for fun b/c I miss drinking right now..

It used to be...7 G&T's, melatonin and 5HTP

Now it's more like....<just shoot me now>
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by muji
Or Tylenol 3 (if you can get it prescribed - it's actually for pain, but can help relax you and bring on drowsiness).
Why would you take a liver damaging drug off label use when there are half a dozen drugs made to just make you sleep?

Ambien is the answer. You won't get hooked using it one time.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:56 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

It usually takes a long-haul flight and then a layover before I can (uncomfortably, mind you) fall asleep on a plane. For example, last month, I did JFK-NRT-CGK. I only fell asleep two hours before landing at CGK.

Although that was Y, class of service never mattered in the past.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
Why would you take a liver damaging drug off label use when there are half a dozen drugs made to just make you sleep?

Ambien is the answer. You won't get hooked using it one time.
One cannot get hooked on Ambien?

Cite.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:39 pm

A lot of the meds described here are simply different preps of dipenhydramine, which is one of the most tried and true sleep aids for general safety and effectiveness. Ambient is great but there are some oddball effects for some people, so I would certainly agree that it should be experimented with before flying.

A long time ago a doctor friend of mine prescribed: take 75mg of Benadryl (50% more than the OTC dose, but not much by medical standards) and either 1 or 2 stiff drinks. Works for me.

FYI for those of you who are trying Melatonin, please look into what melatonin actually does. It's doesn't really act as a sleep aid, despite the marketing efforts to sell it as such at drug stores in the US. It can help the onset of sleep in some circumstances, but what it really does is simulate the onset of the circadian phase that brings sleep. This isn't the same as simply putting you to sleep, which is why it won't work in some circumstances.

What IS amazing about melatonin is if you try to use it for what it's really good for: resetting your circadian clock and avoiding jet lag. For forcing yourself to sleep when you're uncomfortable it's not going to help much - chances are your body is already tired and trying to sleep, but can't do it because you are on a cramped plane. So, sedation is better than melatonin.

However, when you get to your destination try taking melatonin (only a tiny dose is needed) a little while before bedtime in the new time zone. Do this for 3 days or so, and you will likely notice a dramatic improvement in jet lag as your body adjust quickly due to the 'help' in resetting the circadian clock.

Note that jetlag and the ability to sleep, or exhaustion from not sleeping, are totally separate things. I have gotten on a long-haul flight and slept for 10 hours, only to have crushing jet lag the next day. So, when you are taking melatonin think about the jet lag and the timezone more than just 'getting to sleep'.

Ironically, people who take melatonin on planes to get to sleep sometimes confuse their circadian cycle more than ever and suffer from worse jetlag.

Source: My father was a Phd. researcher who studied jet lag, my endocrinologist agreed with this and told me where to get low-dose-slow-release melatonin, and a trusted friend is and MD in a sleep center

Try it!!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Dave-H
A lot of the meds described here are simply different preps of dipenhydramine, which is one of the most tried and true sleep aids for general safety and effectiveness. Ambient is great but there are some oddball effects for some people, so I would certainly agree that it should be experimented with before flying.

A long time ago a doctor friend of mine prescribed: take 75mg of Benadryl (50% more than the OTC dose, but not much by medical standards) and either 1 or 2 stiff drinks. Works for me.

FYI for those of you who are trying Melatonin, please look into what melatonin actually does. It's doesn't really act as a sleep aid, despite the marketing efforts to sell it as such at drug stores in the US. It can help the onset of sleep in some circumstances, but what it really does is simulate the onset of the circadian phase that brings sleep. This isn't the same as simply putting you to sleep, which is why it won't work in some circumstances.

What IS amazing about melatonin is if you try to use it for what it's really good for: resetting your circadian clock and avoiding jet lag. For forcing yourself to sleep when you're uncomfortable it's not going to help much - chances are your body is already tired and trying to sleep, but can't do it because you are on a cramped plane. So, sedation is better than melatonin.

However, when you get to your destination try taking melatonin (only a tiny dose is needed) a little while before bedtime in the new time zone. Do this for 3 days or so, and you will likely notice a dramatic improvement in jet lag as your body adjust quickly due to the 'help' in resetting the circadian clock.

Note that jetlag and the ability to sleep, or exhaustion from not sleeping, are totally separate things. I have gotten on a long-haul flight and slept for 10 hours, only to have crushing jet lag the next day. So, when you are taking melatonin think about the jet lag and the timezone more than just 'getting to sleep'.

Ironically, people who take melatonin on planes to get to sleep sometimes confuse their circadian cycle more than ever and suffer from worse jetlag.

Source: My father was a Phd. researcher who studied jet lag, my endocrinologist agreed with this and told me where to get low-dose-slow-release melatonin, and a trusted friend is and MD in a sleep center

Try it!!
Greate advice...

it clear out things for me. Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I can't really sleep on flights, even on a super comfy Suite flat bed.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
One cannot get hooked on Ambien?

Cite.
Not after one dose. Read.

Oh and here's a bunch of medical literature. Knock yourself out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...dem+dependence

Anyone who has taken ambien knows it takes a few weeks to really build up that dependence.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I find I sleep badly (as in waking up a lot and having difficulty getting back to sleep) even on flights with flat beds. I am a bit wary of sleeping tablets for various reasons so have stopped taking them.

But I have recently discovered something that works for me: anti-histamines. I take an old-style anti-histamine (the type that warns you about drowsiness as a side effect and tells you not to use heavy machinery ) after I board and find the quality of my sleep is very much improved.

I'm sure this isn't the ultimate answer for everyone (though I do feel like I should be in one of those ads that say "Drug companies hate him - look at this funny old trick that costs a few cents and puts you to sleep safely and quickly" ) but it has really benefited me and it is cheap, easy (no prescriptions) and has minimal side effects. Well, there is one: I wake up with no blocked nose!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:54 am

OK, where does one get "low-dose-slow-release melatonin" that is reliable? I've used Melatonin for years, have thought it has helped with jet lag, but from what I've read about these nutritional supplement companies who knows what's actually in the tablets.

Originally Posted by Dave-H

Try it!!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
OK, where does one get "low-dose-slow-release melatonin" that is reliable? I've used Melatonin for years, have thought it has helped with jet lag, but from what I've read about these nutritional supplement companies who knows what's actually in the tablets.
I take it nightly. In Canada, I go to Shoppers Drug Mart. I take the 10mg slow dose melatonin. Sold right beside regular melatonin Helps get me to sleep and to stay asleep.

Otherwise the half life on regular melatonin is way too short.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:15 am
Suspended

Deleted
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Any "nightime" cold and flu stuff.

I find that taking a (regular) does of any OTC cold/flu pills of the "nightime" variety does the trick.

Since my nose blocks up during flights, the decongestant is a welcome bonus :-)

I use a neck pillow so don't tend to end up with my head on my seatmate's shoulder, except on those cases when I'm seated next to King Kong and his shoulder and my head are close proximity anyhow.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
With me the key thing is a window seat and the wall to lean against, and for whatever reason I do better on the left side of the plane than the right side. I also can't have my knee so cramped as happens with Spirit.

Maybe in first class if the seat has a winged head cushion it can be bent far enough to simulate the wall, but in coach they don't bend that far.

Usually the position is the bigger problem than the drowsiness, but if the timing is against the circadian rhythm and I'm trying to make myself get to sleep when I'd normally be awake, then it's likely a losing battle. OTOH, far more common is being short of sleep but having to get into a sleep-able position.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:57 am
Suspended

I actually prefer Xanax over Ambien. 0.5mg is enough to nudge me to sleep, short half life so I still get some REM.

(Just don't drink before taking it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.