Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

JCS Enterprise SCAM? I've "won" 4 roundtrip tickets!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JCS Enterprise SCAM? I've "won" 4 roundtrip tickets!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by amieee
So, I'm not sure if this is the right thread but couldn't find anything that fits. This thread is to find out information, as well as share information on JCS Enterprise promotions etc...

So my mom and I went shopping a few weeks ago and filled out some contest forms for winning a car OR 4 round trip tickets. We thought, why not. So my mom got a call today (voicemail) saying she's the winner and to call this guy back. My mom, being skeptical, asked me to call and see what it's about, so I called. The guy tells me he's calling from JCS on behalf of Wyndham and that I filled out an entry form at the mall and I've won their "biggest prize" 4 round trip tickets to over 30 locations worth up to $4500!!... completely free... He kept saying that I've WON and that it's "mine"... but all they ask of me (me pretending to be my mom) -- and my "husband" to visit Wyndham in Manhattan and take a tour of the hotel. He passed it off as if this is how Wyndham is doing their advertising, and they want to show us the hotel up close and have us join their "club" but that it's not required and I can take the offer or leave it but at the end I'll still get the 4 vouchers for the free flights booked through a prepaid agency... I was already even more skeptical... Anyways, he asked me for some dates and I said I would need to speak with my husband since I don't know his schedule and he said to call back tomorrow.

I had a few questions after reading some BBB and other sites so I called him back. I read on one site that they make you purchase hotel from them and minimum stay of 4-7 days at their "discounted" rates... so I asked him... if I wanted to get the flight only, no hotel, can I do that? and he said no, the promotion (now it's a "promotion" and not a prize that I've "won")...

I really don't mind sitting thru 1-2 hours of their presentation knowing I won't buy anything but I don't want to waste my time if I have to buy hotel thru them knowing I can either get cheaper or stay with a friend...

So my question for this one is... If I've supposedly "won", by FTC sweepstakes rules... can i get the tickets without buying any hotel thru them, etc.? Has anyone come across this situation and able to get the flight without hotel thru agency?

Also, any actual successful winners?
Not sure about NY, but in California when you win a contest, they must offer the cash equivalent as an option, by law. I would look into NY's sweepstakes regulations and find out.

But a basic rule...if you have to put up any of your own money for anything involving collecting those winnings, it's a scam. That includes investing in a trip to a property.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego

I was surprised at how many people signed up for the timeshare program. We could tell, because they had a bottle of champagne on the table. I'd say about 1/5 of the people signed up, about 4 couples out of a fairly small group. They really pushed the "luxury vacations that you can afford" angle.
I wonder if some of those couples were staff / paid participants, because it helps them sell if others are seen to be buying (and in such a visible way - you noticed it, right - I suspect that's the plan!)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I was surprised at how many people signed up for the timeshare program. We could tell, because they had a bottle of champagne on the table. I'd say about 1/5 of the people signed up, about 4 couples out of a fairly small group. They really pushed the "luxury vacations that you can afford" angle.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fraser
You could have saved a lot of typing:

"I read the fine print and it looked like a load of crap"
Indeed!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:06 am

Smile

I actually work for JCS In Laconia New Hampshire, and I was a little skeptical when I first started working there as well. I was asking myself if we were scamming people, and wondering whether or not I could work for a company that I didn't trust. I did some research on both my bosses and on Wyndham Vacation Resorts, and everything turned up alright. Its not a scam, and as a matter of fact, Wyndham has an A+ rating with the BBB and JCS does as well. Yes, you HAVE to book a hotel through the travel agency, however, the hotels come as cheap as $60 per night and the travel agency will match ANY price of the hotels website if you found it cheaper. It technically is classified as a promotion and that's because you physically have to go to the resort and pick it up. fortunately, however, that means that you don't have to pay any winning taxes. And depending on what day of the week you go, they will give you either a $50 or $100 dining dough certificate which can be used at almost any restaurant. Its well worth the 2 hour tour in my opinion.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

and he said no, the promotion (now it's a "promotion" and not a prize that I've "won")...

There's your answer. You didn't actually win. You got yourself put on a "sucker list" by entering the sweepstakes. You will have to pay something at some point to "claim" your prize. Don't do it.

Still, for a bit of fun, you may want to ask this person to send you everything in writing, and sign it.

If at any time there is a statement that you "won", check your state laws. Some states require that all sweepstakes prizes be given the cash equivalent if the winner requests it.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsamm423
I actually work for JCS In Laconia New Hampshire, and I was a little skeptical when I first started working there as well. I was asking myself if we were scamming people, and wondering whether or not I could work for a company that I didn't trust. I did some research on both my bosses and on Wyndham Vacation Resorts, and everything turned up alright. Its not a scam, and as a matter of fact, Wyndham has an A+ rating with the BBB and JCS does as well. Yes, you HAVE to book a hotel through the travel agency, however, the hotels come as cheap as $60 per night and the travel agency will match ANY price of the hotels website if you found it cheaper. It technically is classified as a promotion and that's because you physically have to go to the resort and pick it up. fortunately, however, that means that you don't have to pay any winning taxes. And depending on what day of the week you go, they will give you either a $50 or $100 dining dough certificate which can be used at almost any restaurant. Its well worth the 2 hour tour in my opinion.
This guy has 1 post in his history. Obviously he googled JCS, found the thread, and thought he would sign up to FT to continue the BS.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:30 pm

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.