Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you say to GF that acted like this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

I have been into churning CC, and collecting points for years. Girl I have been dating for a few years is clueless when it comes to the points games. She thought it was interesting at first and has slowly become more irritated when I talk about value, and flying first class and lay flat seats etc. She only flys economy and has never collected pts. Anyways, so I ask her how she would feel about flying somewhere first class with my 300k amex pts and she flipped .... turning on me saying how i'm such an important person. I fly first class..and have to fly first class. Anyways, she turned it around saying we could take multiple trips flying economy with all those pts. Does anyone else have gfs/significant others that absolutely despise the pts game because A) they think you are taking advantage of the system B) poor banks are losing money and it's my fault because i play this game C) they think only important people are allowed to fly first class D) They don't understand the game E) They hate when you talk about pts & value in the same sentence.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
She's absolutely correct you could fly more in coach.. What she wants? Listen... usually first comments mean the most.

Vacation time is just more spend.

Hang onto her. Enjoy playing the game, travel more, even crazy overnights or weekends. She'll forgive you for the churning.

Experience more at the expense of first class.

Last edited by traveller001; Jun 1, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001
She's absolutely correct you could fly more in coach.. What she wants? Listen... usually first comments mean the most.

Vacation time is just more spend.

Hang onto her. Enjoy playing the game, travel more, even crazy overnights or weekends. She'll forgive you for the churning.

Experience more at the expense of first class.
I want dat der lay flat seat and high end champagne.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I want dat der lay flat seat and high end champagne."

In that case, I'd say, "Goodbye."
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by HighFlying123
I want dat der lay flat seat and high end champagne.
Don't we all but to have a GF that wants to make more travel on said points. While earning more with hotels.

Sounds like a win-win to me.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You clearly don't know about 'happy wife, happy life' yet.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:40 am

Got the same version of woman... which prefers to enjoy more frequent trips than posh luxury ones.

In the beginning I was also baffled how you can skip out on a first class flight to the other end of the world but then after a couple of trips.... do you remember the 12 hours on the plane plus an hour or so in the airport lounges or do you remember the time spend on ground?

I recently spoiled myself with a paid C-Class flight to SFO for a two week get-a-way. And to be honest... Yosemite, Monterrey, SF, Nappa and Highway 1 left nice memories... The only thing I kept from the flight - a bad two weeks flue since the guy next to me was sick and a jet lag for a two or three days. So, even premium cabin doesn't help you there

After I saw my invoice from the CC I was really convinced not to buy C class anymore (besides getting it payed by business) and just fly two or three times somewhere else.

In short: She's right
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:03 am

easy...you fly F on your points and let her sit in Y on her pd tix. problem solved
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Dude, I predict your life would be much happier if you stopped yammering at her about a subject she finds initially boring and subsequently annoying.

Keep most discussion of your points hobby to yourself or with other like-obsessed folks. Like FTers. Not GFs.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: Eurobonus Silver
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Dude, I predict your life would be much happier if you stopped yammering at her about a subject she finds initially boring and subsequently annoying.

Keep most discussion of your points hobby to yourself or with other like-obsessed folks. Like FTers. Not GFs.
Good advice.

One should always strive to care and show interest in what the other half is interested in, but not overdo it. My husbands into cars, and I'm into flying, but we don't bore each other with details regarding points, churning, motor specs and so on.

The fact that she seemed interested at first tells me you probably have overdone it...
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You clearly don't know about 'happy wife, happy life' yet.
This isn't his wife. Just a girl he's dating. GF's are a dime a dozen and can be easily replaced, especially the ungrateful ones like the one the OP mentioned.

Furthermore, the phrase "happy wife, happy life" is only for weak men.

Originally Posted by HighFlying123
I have been into churning CC, and collecting points for years. Girl I have been dating for a few years is clueless when it comes to the points games. She thought it was interesting at first and has slowly become more irritated when I talk about value, and flying first class and lay flat seats etc. She only flys economy and has never collected pts. Anyways, so I ask her how she would feel about flying somewhere first class with my 300k amex pts and she flipped .... turning on me saying how i'm such an important person. I fly first class..and have to fly first class. Anyways, she turned it around saying we could take multiple trips flying economy with all those pts. Does anyone else have gfs/significant others that absolutely despise the pts game because A) they think you are taking advantage of the system B) poor banks are losing money and it's my fault because i play this game C) they think only important people are allowed to fly first class D) They don't understand the game E) They hate when you talk about pts & value in the same sentence.
I gotta tell ya, I am appalled that she would be so ungrateful as to try and tell you what to do with your points. First of all, these are your points. She's just going along for the ride.

Any girl I dated in the past would have been absolutely floored/thrilled to fly international first class on my points. All I had to do was ask and the answer would be a resounding yes (check with the boss first of course).

If she wants to fly economy, then put her butt in economy, and you fly first. Or simply get a new woman who doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TMM1982
This isn't his wife. Just a girl he's dating. GF's are a dime a dozen and can be easily replaced, especially the ungrateful ones like the one the OP mentioned.

Furthermore, the phrase "happy wife, happy life" is only for weak men...
I'm sorry, but I cant discern from your signature what century you're from?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm sorry, but I cant discern from your signature what century you're from?
Call it "The Century of Self Respecting Men."

My point remains that any GF that complains about traveling first class on someone else's points is a nut.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:35 am

My wife use to have to think along the same process, until she had to fly international in economy. Now, she would prefer to spend the extra points to fly First or Business whenever possible.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Sounds like we have mixed opinions. Thanks for sharing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.