Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Fare changes when bereaved - your experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare changes when bereaved - your experience?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 2:40 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
My condolences also.

I am not encouraging doubling post, but if you bring this up on the Etihad forum, you might get some support from Etihad's FT rep, EtihadHelp.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:45 pm

This is one reason I appreciate WN and their no change-fee policy. We knew my wife's grandfather was going soon and so we had a flight scheduled for next weekend to see him before he passed. However, when he passed away yesterday it was a relief to only have to pay the $80 increase in fare to fly out for the funeral. I appreciate that waiving change fees is the policy rather than the exception.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
STBCypriot, I deliberately didnt post this on Etihad because I know the answer from them. I used various contact means to chase them including EtihadHelp - in fact, I'm pretty sure the reason I finally got an answer this week is because I chased via the Flyertalk board rep as well. The power of Flyertalk !

As I was underwhelmed by the experience, I wanted to hear the experience of others on more active forums than the EY one. Thanks everyone for your posts.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
shefgab i think you might have hit on it with middle east approach to the issue. When I finally did get a response, after a number of requests through different channels, the Guest Relations adviser kindly told me that they couldn't waive the change fees when I booked, because I didnt provide a death certificate when I booked. There' sjust something very disjointed about even suggesting that.

Never mind that I was making the rebooking on the same day my mum died, and 12000 miles away..... tactful is not a word that springs to mind. Its a shame really because EY's in-flight service has generally been great - they just cannot match it on the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.