Wiki Posts
Search

Lottery Tickets in Airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pinniped
Vegas has slots.

State/national lotteries make an airport slot machine look like a wise investment strategy. (And I'm just assuming that an airport slot machine is about the worst possible slot machine to play.)

I remember seeing big Illinois Lottery signs at ORD many, many years ago. Before lotteries were everywhere...
When I lived in Las Vegas, people used to drive to the state line with California (about 45 miles) to a little tiny store that was just on the other side of the line. That store was specifically there to sell lotto tickets. People would line up to buy when the California Lotto had rolled over into a large jackpot.

I thought it was exceedingly ridiculous when one lived in the mecca of gambling to drive 45 miles to buy another state's lottery ticket with exceedingly poor odds.

ETA - just looked it up and it's still there! Located on "Lotto Store Road"!!! I wonder if this link will work: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6064...Iw!2e0!6m1!1e1
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tev9999
It does not matter on where you live or citizenship, the US Government is taking a cut of your US lottery winnings - 25% of anything over $6000. Most states will take a piece too.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/lot...-greatly-state
That's not true for states that have taxation agreements with the US.
Countries would be UK, Germany, Austria, Italy etc.
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Intern...aties---A-to-Z
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHPlat, SQ PPS
IAH has a lottery vendor between D and E gates, it is the little money exchange kiosk.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
They sell them in MSP by the D Concourse I think, passengers were asking about the kiosk at the Skyclub today hoping to get in on the Powerball craze
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:48 pm

YYZ landslide usually has some terminals in the convenience stores to buy tickets from. Haven't done it in a while from T3 though.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Don't most lotteries require you to have some sort of residency to claim winnings?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:07 pm

MSY

Is there anywhere in the New Orleans airport (MSY) to buy Powerball tickets?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
Don't most lotteries require you to have some sort of residency to claim winnings?
depends?

powerball says it's fine . maybe other lotteries have lottery-specific rules, you'll need to check

http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp

CAN A NON-RESIDENT WIN POWERBALL?

If you legally purchase a Powerball ticket, you can play the game and you can collect prizes. You do not have to be a citizen or a resident to play the game. You can be a tourist. That said, some states do have rules that seem to imply that a winner must produce evidence of citizenship or a federal SSN, but there are other ways to hold back taxes for a winner who does not have a U.S. SSN. Occasionally, some state lawmaker talks about limiting wins to U.S. citizens, but no laws have passed so far.
if you really think you'll win, buy from a state where you can claim anonymity (DE, KS, MD, ND, OH) or allow LLC to claim it (several more states)

the state that you reside in will still take taxes on winnings
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
SEA sells them in the baggage claim area and secured area.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:42 am

Chicago midway

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
You can (or you could) buy lottery tickets at Chicago O'Hare.

does anyone no if chicago midway aitport sells sells lottery tickets??
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RIC has lottery ticket vending machines just outside the two security checkpoints.

BWI also has vending machines in the C and D Concourses
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
I peek into Travelbuzz for the first time in months & one of my threads is on the first page? Go figure. Hope Mega Millions sets a new record this run around! =D
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Doitsu
That's not true for states that have taxation agreements with the US.
Countries would be UK, Germany, Austria, Italy etc.
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Intern...aties---A-to-Z

Gambling income aka lottery winnings can be double taxed by both countries. The tax treaties pertain to income and capital gains.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Detroit does (It is by the escalator in the A gates).

Minneapolis does.

LaGuardia does.

Those are the only airports I've been in recently enough to really notice. I won a few bucks a couple years ago from a scratcher at MSP, it has expired by now though, and I never collected.
Denver also
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shuigao
I hope not!!

The main value prop for a state to have a lottery is to attract non-residents to play it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.