Reload this Page >

Guys, let's learn how to get into and out of your seat in economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guys, let's learn how to get into and out of your seat in economy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, TrueBlue, AYCJ, Elevate, Mile High Club ;)
I've had someone grab my FACE while trying to get up... and it was not a super-cramped plane (this was on Iberia [I think?] a few years ago), and they were young and able-bodied (as far as I observed)... I had also just fallen asleep. I'm pretty sure I yelped and/or screamed.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Vegasrider
If it bothers you THAT much, take control of the situation. Sit in the last row of the cabin so that there isn't anyone behind you. Purchase a F or J class fare. Shave your head, there are options. The reality is, as long as there is someone sitting behind you, there is the potential that they will do something that you will not like. Cough, cough!
Best advice possible. People complain about a lot of things and quite often the solution is in their own hands.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by mikekelley
There is no need for you to grab the headrests of the seats in the row ahead of you when you're getting out from the window or middle. Every time someone gets up, without fail, it seems like they have to grab onto my headrest and yank the thing around to pull themselves up and out. On most aircraft, there is a handle built into the overhead bins that you can use to pull yourself up (I'm on an a321 as I write this) and you can also use the armrests and wall to balance if necessary.

Perhaps this is annoying me more than it should, but when trying to work, sleep, or eat, especially when there are drinks on the tray, it's incredibly frustrating to have to scramble to protect yourself from flying food and liquids as a result of the jabroni trying to squeeze out or in by grabbing every headrest that he possibly can on the way.

Enjoying a little rant, right after my morning drink was sent flying to the floor.
+1. Last time I mentioned this in a topic because people were constantly pulling my hair when they grabbed the headrest, fellow FTers told me to cut my hair. No joke.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I've often looked for this mythical button and, for the life of me, have never found it.
On DL, most Y non-bulkhead seats have it. Sometimes, I have to stick a finger into a hole in the bottom of the aisle armrest to reach it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by chollie
Now...how many of you able-bodied flyers can get out of the window seat when the middle/aisle pax do not get up?
Is this even humanly possible in Y? In EK/SQ's long haul Y if I press my butt as far back into the seat as it'll go I'd still only have maybe 3" or 4" of space in between knees and the front seatback - surely not enough for anyone to squeeze through.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
+1. Last time I mentioned this in a topic because people were constantly pulling my hair when they grabbed the headrest, fellow FTers told me to cut my hair. No joke.
This is FT, come on. Might as well be called VictimBlameTalk. You're over 6 feet and uncomfortable? Pay for business! Miss a tight connection on the same ticket? Should have ran faster!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Economy? I had that in F on AA from LAX to STL on Monday. Six times the guy behind in 6A had to run for the lav. (Before he had the runs, I guess) Plus twice before take off. Every. Single. Time, he felt a need to grab both seats in front of him to hoist himself up and clamber over the person in 6B.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
This is FT, come on. Might as well be called VictimBlameTalk. You're over 6 feet and uncomfortable? Pay for business! Miss a tight connection on the same ticket? Should have ran faster!
^

Funny isn't it. It's VictimBlameTalk on this thread whilst on others it's "Let'sSupportAnyoneWithKids/Fat/Wantstosleep" and the opposite is true. I think it should just be called "IwantwhatIwantwithoutquestionTalk"
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by PunkElmo
I've had someone grab my FACE while trying to get up...
That made me laugh out loud!

Not quite as bad, but I've had someone use the top of my head to steady themselves as they got up from the seat behind me.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: TK*G
^ As much as I appreciate the notion of accepting personal responsibility, FT can really take it too far.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by doctall41
I've always wanted to time it right where when they grab my seatback to haul their tired selves up, I push the recline button and my seat reclines back into them and they fall back into their seat.
Not nice, I know, and I've never done it. Just always wanted to.
I do this EVERY time they grab my headrest. The gasp is worth it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by cdn1
do you think people who pull or hold onto the seats do it on purpose?

No, if they gave enough space, i'm sure most, if not all people, will try to not inconvenience others.

But since that is not the case and you have to be VERY fit and athletic to get up from seat without any support, etc.......so don't count on most people to do it.

please go and blame the airlines rather than other people.
While I think the continual whining about this is absurd (people don't do these things deliberately to annoy others - it probably doesn't even occur to the majority of them that it's causing a ridiculous level of anger in the passenger in front, and that doesn't make them a selfish/thoughtless person who never thinks about others either), no you don't. Anyone with a very basic level of fitness can stand up without pulling down the seat in front of them - even when it's reclined.

The fact that having the ability to support your weight using your arms (if for some reason your legs aren't in a position to take any of the weight) is seen as being "VERY fit and athletic" nowadays is rather concerning!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
Is this even humanly possible in Y? In EK/SQ's long haul Y if I press my butt as far back into the seat as it'll go I'd still only have maybe 3" or 4" of space in between knees and the front seatback - surely not enough for anyone to squeeze through.
I can get out from the window, but I generally won't unless I know the person in the middle as I'd either be rubbing against them or physically climbing over them!

But then I don't need to get out very often (in the past I've remained in my seat for an entire 14 hour flight!) so I normally just wait until the person in the middle gets up for something.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
(in the past I've remained in my seat for an entire 14 hour flight!)
That sounds very risky from a DVT point of view.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by WillTravel
That sounds very risky from a DVT point of view.
Agreed. I can't fly long haul Y without getting up every 2-3 hours to stretch and walk about. Although, I enjoy walking around the plane even when I'm in J/F so maybe I'm just strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.