Wiki Posts
Search

Using drugs to combat flight anxiety?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum

A couple of recent threads here have mentioned anxiety on flights and I was a little bit surprised to think that people who are going to fly frequently don't visit their doctor. Maybe it's because my flights are usually 10+ hours, but I don't step on a plane without the following:

- Ambien for sleep
- Klonipin for anxiety
- Dramamine
- Aleve for headache

The only one I haven't needed is Dramamine. However, I just feel better if I'm prepped for the flight.

What do you take? OR are you a nervous flyer that chooses to go without? If so, why?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's generally best to avoid things like Ambien and Klonipin if you don't absolutely need them. They are habit forming and to some extent obtunding.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It's generally best to avoid things like Ambien and Klonipin if you don't absolutely need them. They are habit forming and to some extent obtunding.

I agree fully, which is why I don't use them at home and in the air, it's only on an "as needed" basis.

Probably better than drinking myself silly on these flights in an attempt to pass out.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some use supplements/OTC for sleep
seem to recall some RX sleep aid are less/non habit forming

earplanes can also work for those sensitive to pressure
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Lavender chamomile infusion helps to relax me.

Valerian mint infusion if I need help getting to sleep. Two bags in a large mug right after dinner, and no jet lag in the morning. Works like a charm (make sure you will be able to get at least 5 hours' sleep).

Water as soon as I wake up.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ysolde
Valerian mint infusion if I need help getting to sleep. Two bags in a large mug right after dinner, and no jet lag in the morning. Works like a charm (make sure you will be able to get at least 5 hours' sleep).

I REALLY wished the herbal stuff worked for me. I have tried everything possible for jet lag and nothing works. Yes, I do this for a living and yes I always feel terrible. Nothing helps and I've met many other people in lounges and on planes who travel a lot more than I do and get terrible jet lag.

If you can make OTC or herbal work for you, you're very lucky.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
I used melatonin once for a TATL trip and it didn't seem to help much. I just kind of go into zombie mode for a day or two. I haven't needed anything for typical US flights and long haul north-south flights though... I just conk out.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
If you can make OTC or herbal work for you, you're very lucky.
+1. I remember back when Conde Nast Traveler ran that article about melatonin being such a great find. It only gave me a headache. People saying "Why don't you just go to bed earlier the night before the flight?" also don't get it. Having a strong circadian rhythm isn't easy.

(Oh, and trying to explain the concept of jet lag to a local in Thailand who has never been out of their country is usually futile. Maybe they've woken you up after falling asleep at the restaurant at 8 p.m. or so.)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Couple aspirin is all that I've ever needed. The drone of the engines is enough to lul me into sleep.

I do carry a couple of Xanax tablets if I need them for a long flight, and that is only because I get claustrophobic after a while, which is almost why flying in C or up is vital, and avoiding window seats in coach is almost a necessity.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:39 pm

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Jun 5, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: luxury traveler
Using Drugs?

As a physician, I always travel with meds and recommend the same to my private patients...

Temazepam is my choice for sleep (shorter acting than ambien)
Tamiflu for flu symptoms
Zpak for respiratory infections
Cipro for UTI infections
Excedrin for jet lag (aspirin Tylenol and caffeine)
Benadryl for allergies
Epipen for anaphylaxis
Aspirin for cardiac events
Claritin-D for allergic types
Narcotic for severe pain
Steroid cream, surgical glue, neosporin, gauze, ibuprofen, moleskin for blisters...
Little bit of everything...
If going up in altitude, diamox
And then I customize for specific patients (pediatric, geriatric, asthmatic etc)

But I'm trained to consider all that can go to hell and ruin one's day, vacation (or life).
Happy travels!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
A couple of recent threads here have mentioned anxiety on flights and I was a little bit surprised to think that people who are going to fly frequently don't visit their doctor. Maybe it's because my flights are usually 10+ hours, but I don't step on a plane without the following:

- Ambien for sleep
- Klonipin for anxiety
- Dramamine
- Aleve for headache

The only one I haven't needed is Dramamine. However, I just feel better if I'm prepped for the flight.

What do you take? OR are you a nervous flyer that chooses to go without? If so, why?
None of the above. Learn to cope with life without popping a pill.

Originally Posted by chicagocat
As a physician, I always travel with meds and recommend the same to my private patients...

Tamiflu for flu symptoms
Cipro for UTI infections
Benadryl for allergies
Epipen for anaphylaxis
Narcotic for severe pain
Steroid cream, surgical glue, neosporin, gauze, ibuprofen, moleskin for blisters...
And then I customize for specific patients (pediatric, geriatric, asthmatic etc)

But I'm trained to consider all that can go to hell and ruin one's day, vacation (or life).
Happy travels!
Possessing these without a prescription can get you locked up in many countries. Taking them all together is wildly irresponsible. Cipro? Are you kidding?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chicagocat

Tamiflu for flu symptoms
Cipro for UTI infections
Benadryl for allergies
Epipen for anaphylaxis
Narcotic for severe pain

Happy travels!
Seems... excessive. Two antihistamines (one that is relatively ineffective), two insanely strong antibiotics (are we worried about anthrax here?), three OTC pain relievers... I hope your clients are going on safaris or expeditions with that list and not to the South of France. Aside from extremely poor countries with marginal healthcare this is a disastrous list.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: luxury traveler

The meds are all by rx snd only taken "as needed"
There is better living when prepared for those random infections, pulled muscles, allergic reactions, insomniac moments, migraines, wounds, falls, etc... It's life and never a dull moment for my adventurous patients!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
None of the above. Learn to cope with life without popping a pill.

Possessing these without a prescription can get you locked up in many countries. Taking them all together is wildly irresponsible. Cipro? Are you kidding?
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Seems... excessive. Two antihistamines (one that is relatively ineffective), two insanely strong antibiotics (are we worried about anthrax here?), three OTC pain relievers... I hope your clients are going on safaris or expeditions with that list and not to the South of France. Aside from extremely poor countries with marginal healthcare this is a disastrous list.

Guys, you are overreacting. Cipro is a common antibiotic that can be used for urinary tract infections or traveller's diarrhea, and azithromyciin can be used for respiratory or skin infections. I carry Cipro if going to areas where traveller's diarrhea is common. Azithromycin is my usual choice for bronchitis. I'd only prescribe them in this way for pretty intelligent and reliable patients, others should probably see a doctor.

I agree I'd avoid carrying narcotics unless absolutely necessary to avoid unpleasantness with customs. Same with benzos like temazepam, though those are less likely to get someone in trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.