Window Shade Etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Window Shade Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
Unfortunately, neither of the two passengers who wanted their windows open were willing to be courteous and lower their shades;
What you described does not end up with the other pax being deemed discourteous, only in your mind.

For the same reason as you wanted darkness, they maybe wanted light, to get their wake/sleep cycle where they wanted it. If that were the case (and neither of us know) you were the one being discourteous by making the self centred request, which immediately brings a certain amount of pressure on the recipient.

You wanted to sleep during the "day" so should have facilitated that yourself, be it with good quality eyeshades, earphones or whatever.

Describing the other parties as you have is poor form.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
DYKWIA.

The entire cabin should adapt to make one person happy LOL
^^
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Exactly. And if they want to sleep, book window seat and control the shade. Seems like a simple solution.
Originally Posted by ft101
You wanted to sleep during the "day" so should have facilitated that yourself, be it with good quality eyeshades, earphones or whatever.

If you have used eye shades before then you know that they do not block all light, especially if there is a window open with the sun beaming right on your face. And I've had sun beaming over from the other side of the plane and from in front and behind as well-- so being in the window seat doesn't help. Light has a way of getting everywhere

Originally Posted by RaflW
I think it is rude to presume that claustrophobia can just be dismissed, and that there is "nothing to see out there."

I select window seats because being able to see out makes a huge difference in my comfort/anxiety level when flying. I am not an inconsiderate oaf, however. If I notice that a pax near me is trying to use their laptop or IFE and glare is an issue, I'll do 1/2 shade, position myself to try and block as much light as possible, etc.

And on eastbound TATLs, especially in summer, I get that sunrise is much too early and just take a pill, close the blind, and try and chill/sleep. But that isn't practical on short flights - medications often have an 8 hour impact and suggest not driving, which is not an option if I have a 2hr hop to DEN and am getting a rental car.

So in the vein of "courtesy and consideration to others" I hope those of you who expect shade-down compliance will be mindful that flying in a small metal tube with no view out can be very uncomfortable/anxiety inducing for some pax.
I appreciate what you do to be considerate; I don't think any of us were dismissing claustrophobia (and I didn't even mention it?). And we're also not talking about 2-3 hour flights. I'm talking about overnight flights or 10-12 hour flights when someone has the shade open for the duration even with cabin lights dimmed, or opening and closing constantly.

Also, wouldn't an aisle seat where you can get up, move about, look out the window by the galley, etc. be preferable?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
All will be solved on a 787, FA rules.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What you described does not end up with the other pax being deemed discourteous, only in your mind.

For the same reason as you wanted darkness, they maybe wanted light, to get their wake/sleep cycle where they wanted it. If that were the case (and neither of us know) you were the one being discourteous by making the self centred request, which immediately brings a certain amount of pressure on the recipient.

That's fair enough. So you won't mind when I'm in the aisle seat if I don't rise or raise my tray when you need to use the lav. Maybe I have a bad back and you certainly would be "discourteous by making the self-centred request." You should have "facilitated that yourself" be it with rubber pants, Depends or "whatever."
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by transparent
If you have used eye shades before then you know that they do not block all light, especially if there is a window open with the sun beaming right on your face. And I've had sun beaming over from the other side of the plane and from in front and behind as well-- so being in the window seat doesn't help. Light has a way of getting everywhere
If someone is that sensitive to light and requires absolute darkness to sleep they should probably just get a better eye shade. The plane is a shared environment and it isn't reasonable to demand no one be allowed to look out the window just so a couple of people are apparently vampires who can't stand a single lumen to disturb their beauty sleep.

Window shades and seat reclining seem to be areas fall into two camps. There's the "screw you, got mine" camp who believe that everyone else must comply with exactly how they want it. And the "we're all in this together" camp that understands that you aren't going to have everything perfect in a cramped, crowded environment like a plane and you've just gotta accept that and put up with it.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
That's fair enough. So you won't mind when I'm in the aisle seat if I don't rise or raise my tray when you need to use the lav. Maybe I have a bad back and you certainly would be "discourteous by making the self-centred request." You should have "facilitated that yourself" be it with rubber pants, Depends or "whatever."
The difference is that I gave a scenario which may actually exist, you made up a fairy story.

For my part, I always go for an aisle seat and a little bit light doesn't keep me awake anyway.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by relangford
Strangely, I have never had anyone ask me to raise the shade, so .... Folks, there is nothing to see except cloud tops and / or vast expanses of ocean - not very exciting to most sane people.
If there's turbulence -- as there often is over the Pacific -- being able to see the horizon line can be very helpful for avoiding motion sickness and/or a panic reaction to the turbulence.

I take the window seat, as I like to lean against the wall to sleep. OTOH, if the turbulence is bad enough to wake me up, it's bad enough to be very helpful to be able to raise the shade enough to see that yeah, everything is actually OK out there.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Don't think I've participated in the myriad of window shade threads, but as always, consideration, courtesy and communication will solve almost all problems. Bottom line, though, there has to be a decider, and the person who is in the window seat gets to make the ultimate decision.

More problematic question to me -- on some aircraft (727? not sure, but I've only seen it on domestics) -- on some aircraft, there will often be a window that is roughly adjacent to a seatback, such that the pax in both 21A and 22A would be able to manipulate the shade. In those cases, who gets decision-making control? I've actually had situations where I put such a shade down, and the passenger in front of me says he wants it up.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:25 pm
Suspended

The difference is that I gave a scenario which may actually exist, you made up a fairy story.

For my part, I always go for an aisle seat and a little bit light doesn't keep me awake anyway.
Will you bet your dry pants and potential bladder discomfort on it being a "fairy story?"

Are you absolutely sure that if you piss me off sufficiently that you won't end up sitting in yours?

People who insist on keeping the blind open when the cabin crew politely ask for it to be lowered should keep in mind what they might need from their seat mates as the flight progresses.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by transparent
Also, wouldn't an aisle seat where you can get up, move about, look out the window by the galley, etc. be preferable?
Not for me, I noted upthread, with the shade open, the inside of the plane and outside "merge"--a more spacious environment.

[With all shades in the down position, the "sardine can" is even more confining.]
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
People who insist on keeping the blind open when the cabin crew politely ask for it to be lowered should keep in mind what they might need from their seat mates as the flight progresses.
In the case being discussed here though, the cabin crew were requested to ask by another passenger.

It appears he was doing it for his own selfish reasons so deserves the refusal.

Would you still side with him in taking your imaginary retribution?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Speaking of long haul flights, the concept applied should be "what does the majority want". On eastbound TATL, most people want to sleep. The actions of 1 (or a few) should not be detrimental to the rest of the cabin.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I have even had the FA walk around with a dinner tray closing windows after the window seat person left the window open on red-eyes. Even though it is night when we take off, eventually the sun will rise.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:11 am
Suspended

In the case being discussed here though, the cabin crew were requested to ask by another passenger.

It appears he was doing it for his own selfish reasons so deserves the refusal.

Would you still side with him in taking your imaginary retribution?
It depends on my preference and my mood at the time.

But the people who press their noses against the window to stare slack-jawed at the clouds and ignore a request from the cabin crew to close the blinds should consider their position and the potential repercussions.

Dismiss my position as "imaginary" at the risk of your dry pants as you wish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.