Wiki Posts
Search

Are turbulences felt less on an A380?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent

I've recently flown my first couple of legs on an A380 and they were so smooth that I could actually sleep. (I regularly wake up when the plane flies through even the lightest turbulence). I asked a couple of friends and they all seemed to confirm that their experience was similar.
Is this a coincidence or is it really possible that turbulences are felt less on an A380?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I've had a similar experience. The A380 has quite stately movements I think.

I'm thinking perhaps it's due to the vast wing area involved in the A380, but it's just a hunch.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR

So far this only happened last year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2799892/twenty-two-people-injured-singapore-airlines-a380-flight-mumbai-hits-sudden-turbulence-15-000ft.html
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by jexelot
So far this only happened last year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...-15-000ft.html
Turbulences of that magnitude will of course be felt on any airplane. The question I was asking refers to light turbulences only.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

Heavier airplane takes more force to move. The same wind would upset a lighter aircraft more, yes.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I've recently flown my first couple of legs on an A380 and they were so smooth that I could actually sleep. (I regularly wake up when the plane flies through even the lightest turbulence). I asked a couple of friends and they all seemed to confirm that their experience was similar.
Is this a coincidence or is it really possible that turbulences are felt less on an A380?
You really can't arrive at firm conclusions based on personal anecdotes which are highly variable depending on the precise conditions as well as each person's subjective opinion of the effects felt due to the specific turbulence.

The effects of turbulence (note it is rarely pluralized in everyday usage in this sense of the word) on an aircraft will vary depending on factors including the size of the aircraft, wing loading, speed, etc. But all other things being equal, a higher wing loading will provide the better ride, not counting any installed active gust alleviation systems.

I don't know the A380 wing loading specs or how they compare to other airliners offhand. Again, other factors may impact how a given aircraft reacts to a given turbulence encounter.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF
I've found the A380 more comfortable than other aircraft as well.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
The A380 is the most comfortable aircraft I've ever flown on and any turbulence is dampened a lot more on it. It's also a quiet aircraft so the flying experience is a lot smoother and more relaxing.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I flew A380 and B787 J a few weeks ago, don't particularly remember turbulence but never slept that well in a plane (usually flying J in B777/300 and airbus A330/300. Will fly the return portion this Friday...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by rumbataz
The A380 is the most comfortable aircraft I've ever flown on and any turbulence is dampened a lot more on it. It's also a quiet aircraft so the flying experience is a lot smoother and more relaxing.
I agree. I do most of my flying on A319s and A320s where you can be quite acutely aware you're flying. The A380 didn't feel like flying at all by comparison.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Wonder if the quality of the air inside the plane also contributed to improved sleep? (I did not sleep well on the A380 as I like to rest against a wall when in Y but the A seat was some separation from the wall.)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Took my first A380 RT last month (LAX-LHR in C) with my wife, who is irrationally sensitive to any form of turbulence. She was convinced after the rides the plane was less subject to turbulence. I wouldn't necessarily agree with her subjective judgment, but who am I to argue with her .

We're on the same route next month, and for the first time that I can remember, she is actually looking forward to the flights.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:13 am

To a first order, given two aircraft of the same weight, the one with the high wing loading (smaller wing) will be less affected by turbulence (smaller gust response) than the one with low wing loading (bigger wing).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:40 am

i agree to this. bus A380 indeed is safe to fly. ^
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Flying in Y from CDG to IAD on Air France's A380 was probably the best long-haul Y experience I've had. Decent food, the seats weren't that bad, and it was just a smooth ride. The constant onslaught of cognac helped matters as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.